HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 07, 2011, 03:41 PM
-=BS=-
BlazingStar's Avatar
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by represent View Post
lol speak for yourself!! If it was $150, featured twin brushless motors, and whooped ass, i would buy it in a heartbeat! :d
amen!!!
BlazingStar is online now Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2011, 04:28 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
The Beast is one of the greatest ultra-micro so far, it come with a brushless motor, and if you read the thread about it, tons of people are complaining about the higher price.... It does show that it's hard to keep everybody happy.

I also agree with one of the poster above (I guess I'm old gen too....). I used to pay $100 for only one little part, not so many years ago. Now, I can fly a full airplane in my backyard for that price. That's amazing enough for me. Anything that allow me to fly at work, during my lunch hour, from the parking is worth replacing a few motors every now and then. (Still happy, and somehow, I'm pretty sure I've changed more of those little expendable motors than anybody else here. But that's, in my book, a small price to pay to be able to enjoy flying anywhere).
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2011, 04:35 PM
Your user title is suggestive,
Xptical's Avatar
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Apr 2006
1,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
The Beast is one of the greatest ultra-micro so far, it come with a brushless motor, and if you read the thread about it, tons of people are complaining about the higher price.... It does show that it's hard to keep everybody happy.

I also agree with one of the poster above (I guess I'm old gen too....). I used to pay $100 for only one little part, not so many years ago. Now, I can fly a full airplane in my backyard for that price. That's amazing enough for me. Anything that allow me to fly at work, during my lunch hour, from the parking is worth replacing a few motors every now and then. (Still happy, and somehow, I'm pretty sure I've changed more of those little expendable motors than anybody else here. But that's, in my book, a small price to pay to be able to enjoy flying anywhere).
^^This!


The micros are great for an experienced flier. Be prepared to have to swap some things out a they wear.


Also, keep in mind that every airplane has an expiration date. It isn't printed on the box or the plane. You won't find it in the instructions. Your job, as a pilot, is to figure out what that expiration date is!


I can't tell you how many crashes I've had. A few on maiden flights. I have quite a few boxes of $100+ airframes that met their demise on the first flight...
Xptical is offline Find More Posts by Xptical
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2011, 04:36 PM
Can't get enough
jabsten's Avatar
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingStar View Post
staying on topic and away form the flourish...



Ineresting on how the reported issues are with the right side, counter rotating motor.

BTW, I have installed my replacement Rx and after enough flights to warrant an opinion, I'll add the results here.
My right motor came unplugged. I thought it was a bad motor at first, and checked. People might want to check that.
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2011, 04:43 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xptical View Post
Also, keep in mind that every airplane has an expiration date. It isn't printed on the box or the plane. You won't find it in the instructions. Your job, as a pilot, is to figure out what that expiration date is!


I can't tell you how many crashes I've had. A few on maiden flights. I have quite a few boxes of $100+ airframes that met their demise on the first flight...
Very good point, re the expiration date, and something I struggle with--sometimes it's hard to know when to say "enough." Glad it's not just me, re crashes and airframes that died early on. Less so now, but still . . .
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2011, 04:46 PM
F18
Registered User
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
The Beast is one of the greatest ultra-micro so far, it come with a brushless motor, and if you read the thread about it, tons of people are complaining about the higher price.... It does show that it's hard to keep everybody happy.

I also agree with one of the poster above (I guess I'm old gen too....). I used to pay $100 for only one little part, not so many years ago. Now, I can fly a full airplane in my backyard for that price. That's amazing enough for me. Anything that allow me to fly at work, during my lunch hour, from the parking is worth replacing a few motors every now and then. (Still happy, and somehow, I'm pretty sure I've changed more of those little expendable motors than anybody else here. But that's, in my book, a small price to pay to be able to enjoy flying anywhere).
Oh! Hallelujah!
This man probably remembers, like me spending months building a plane with built up ribbed wings, balsa, paper and dope......later years monocote instead of paper and dope!
Some of those planes you could measure their life span in minutes because of so many things that could go terribly wrong! ie. fautly clunky battery packs,
unrealiable radio equipment/limited range/interference and of course pilot error! And your pride & joy laid there in the field as an unrecognizalbe pile of balsa splinters and paper as a result....but that never stopped us from building another one and trying again!

I can seriously say I have not completely distroyed anyone of the four UMs that I bought! They are all still flying including the Mosquito miraculously! At a total cost that is a fraction of the earlier investments that I use to make in one "old school" plane and I am having more fun and spending more time flying anywhere I choose!
F18 is offline Find More Posts by F18
Last edited by F18; Apr 07, 2011 at 05:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2011, 05:26 PM
Your user title is suggestive,
Xptical's Avatar
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Apr 2006
1,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyLee View Post
Very good point, re the expiration date, and something I struggle with--sometimes it's hard to know when to say "enough." Glad it's not just me, re crashes and airframes that died early on. Less so now, but still . . .
I was living in Western Japan when I started flying. I had built a few foamie trainers (blu-baby) and was pretty proficient with helicopters. A buddy talked me into getting an EPP 3D airplane and I had a blast with it.

But, as things go, I wanted something better. I went out and got a beautiful Hyperion Cap. I spent weeks (it was an ARF) making sure every last detail was absolutely perfect.

Long story short, on the maiden, I was hit with a radio lockout/brownout and watched her stall and snap into the runway. Destroyed the airframe, motor, ESC, and battery.


So, now days, if I get a single flight off of an airframe, I'm happy.
Xptical is offline Find More Posts by Xptical
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2011, 06:46 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Apr 2009
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Oh! Hallelujah!
This man probably remembers, like me spending months building a plane with built up ribbed wings, balsa, paper and dope......later years monocote instead of paper and dope!
Some of those planes you could measure their life span in minutes because of so many things that could go terribly wrong! ie. fautly clunky battery packs,
unrealiable radio equipment/limited range/interference and of course pilot error! And your pride & joy laid there in the field as an unrecognizalbe pile of balsa splinters and paper as a result....but that never stopped us from building another one and trying again!

I can seriously say I have not completely distroyed anyone of the four UMs that I bought! They are all still flying including the Mosquito miraculously! At a total cost that is a fraction of the earlier investments that I use to make in one "old school" plane and I am having more fun and spending more time flying anywhere I choose!

Sounds like we're in the same age group. I built my first plane around 1938, so I know where you are coming from.
Bob
wslco10 is online now Find More Posts by wslco10
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2011, 06:49 PM
Can't get enough
jabsten's Avatar
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,274 Posts
Well I finally got to fly for a bit, and had a couple rough landings on grass. Looked close upon putting in a battery and noticed my fuse is cracked all the way around...bummer. I will have to use some canopy glue and tape, and she will be fine. I don't feel like putting in a new fuse, nor I have one.
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2011, 07:08 PM
Registered User
friz's Avatar
VA
Joined Feb 2009
866 Posts
I noticed that the moisquito is out of stock. My LHS has a couple so if anyone is interested i would be willing to ship it for them if they paid for it and the shipping.
friz is offline Find More Posts by friz
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2011, 07:50 PM
Registered User
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2005
2,358 Posts
well my right motor (black shaft) seized up on me today! heard a nice screech again and the motors cut - lucky i managed to glide it in ok.


What is up with this? it might of been on my 10th pack? that is ridiculous, my other pz micros have been going strong for almost 2 years without a hitch - and this new one lasts 2 days? Come on, there is an obvious issue here, I just hope horizon does the right thing and fixes this for me and everyone else who has had or no doubt will have this problem eventually

Btw - there is no way they didn't notice this when testing this product...you know, unless they flew it 10 times, which I find very hard to believe.
trust416 is offline Find More Posts by trust416
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2011, 08:00 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Apr 2009
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trust416 View Post
well my right motor (black shaft) seized up on me today! heard a nice screech again and the motors cut - lucky i managed to glide it in ok.


What is up with this? it might of been on my 10th pack? that is ridiculous, my other pz micros have been going strong for almost 2 years without a hitch - and this new one lasts 2 days? Come on, there is an obvious issue here, I just hope horizon does the right thing and fixes this for me and everyone else who has had or no doubt will have this problem eventually

Btw - there is no way they didn't notice this when testing this product...you know, unless they flew it 10 times, which I find very hard to believe.
I started having problems after 20 flights. HH said that was a lot of flights, but this time they would send a replacement set, but next time it would be on my $. Bob
wslco10 is online now Find More Posts by wslco10
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2011, 08:08 PM
Please excuse me..
represent's Avatar
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Feb 2011
797 Posts
Lots of great points have been made in the 5-10
posts above this one. Bottom line, when put into perspective, these things are inherently awesome for the price
represent is online now Find More Posts by represent
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2011, 08:14 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by represent View Post
Lots of great points have been made in the 5-10
posts above this one. Bottom line, when put into perspective, these things are inherently awesome for the price
I have to say, I hit the curb at WOT last weekend, ordered a new left shaft and prop from HZ, did the replacement in 10-15 minutes tonight, and will fly it again Saturday--pretty impressive "system."
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2011, 08:21 PM
Registered User
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2005
2,358 Posts
don't get me wrong, I love this plane, it has such a different feel to it than any other micro, but having a motor die after maybe 10 flights is pretty lame.

Not to mention the left motor runs just fine, which simply means the tech behind the right side drive system is flawed in some way and is the reason for these motor failures.

Anyone tried just plugging the right side motor in backwards? I realize you would kill the whole counter rotating deal, and prob be subject to some different flying characteristics as a result, but perhaps the direction of this motor is the issue?
trust416 is offline Find More Posts by trust416
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product New Hobby-Lobby micro P-51 and Spirfire! - direct competitor to Parkzone Ultra Micro? Smokescreen38 Micro Ready-to-Fly 316 Aug 22, 2012 11:51 PM
Discussion Parkzone New Ultra Micro Mosquito Mk VI ChuckTseeker Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 4 Feb 03, 2011 01:22 AM
For Sale parkzone ultra micro J-3 cub BNF trade for micro trojan ED3 Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Nov 06, 2010 02:19 AM
Sold Moved to micro section -Parkzone Sukhoi SU-26m Ultra Micro BNF - w/ Lots of new parts major.monogram Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Jun 08, 2010 12:00 AM
Found Parkzone Ultra Micro P-51D BNF (New or like new condition) CGReload Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Oct 09, 2009 01:28 PM