HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2011, 01:29 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by represent View Post
Wow, I haven't visited this thread in about a month.

I was one of the first to report failing motors, but couldn't have foreseen the scale of the problem. My mosquito just sits now, too much headache for what it is. I just fly my T-28 Trojan for small stuff and stick to 3DHS for the rest of my fun..
I don't think the scale of the problem is that great...this forum is just a tiny footprint to all that own the mosquito. Through process and factory, there are bound to be defects,,,,I had a motor wire loose which I thought was a bad motor...had to open it up and find that out.
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2011, 01:50 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
I don't think the scale of the problem is that great...this forum is just a tiny footprint to all that own the mosquito. Through process and factory, there are bound to be defects,,,,I had a motor wire loose which I thought was a bad motor...had to open it up and find that out.
Agreed. People who have problems come here and complaint which is normal. People who don't will not come here to just say everything is fine, they simply fly. So any problems always look worst in a forum. Sure enough, nobody can expect those small motors to last 500 flights. Having two motors on the Mosquito double the odds to have a problem. Strangely though, it seem to happen more on one side than the other. So sure enough, maybe there's a bad batch outhere as well.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Apr 07, 2011, 01:58 PM
United States, NC, King
Joined Mar 2009
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Agreed. People who have problems come here and complaint which is normal. People who don't will not come here to just say everything is fine, they simply fly. So any problems always look worst in a forum. Sure enough, nobody can expect those small motors to last 500 flights. Having two motors on the Mosquito double the odds to have a problem. Strangely though, it seem to happen more on one side than the other. So sure enough, maybe there's a bad batch outhere as well.
I call BS on that comment sir, check out the post and vids of me enjoying the F4F and the F4U by parkzone, brought those brand new and no problems other than a stripped aileron servo on the Corsair due to belly landings. There are plenty of people giving praise where it's due and raising hell when it's due.
mgrande11 is offline Find More Posts by mgrande11
Old Apr 07, 2011, 02:15 PM
Ottawa, ON
Joined Oct 2010
104 Posts
I had a couple of problems with my first Mosquito (stuck rudder servo, finicky right had motor) I didnt come here to complain, I went right to the hobby shop and obtained a replacement.
Haven't had time to fly the new one so I can't comment on it.
awdiver is offline Find More Posts by awdiver
Old Apr 07, 2011, 02:25 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,925 Posts
It's funny/odd how some folks seem to have bad luck with one company, while others suffer with somebody else. I've had very good luck with the PZ micros, but of the 3 Hobbico ones I've had (2 Playmates and an Albatros) 2 were absolute dogs. Many others write in good things about them, but I'm now "snake bitten" enough that I look at their new micro Fokker Dr-I, set to come out in October, and just don't think I'll be able to pull the trigger given my personal experiences . . . Anyway, I digress--repairing my Mossie and looking forward to Saturday.
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Apr 07, 2011, 02:28 PM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,161 Posts
staying on topic and away form the flourish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdiver View Post
I had a couple of problems with my first Mosquito (stuck rudder servo, finicky right had motor) ....
Ineresting on how the reported issues are with the right side, counter rotating motor.

BTW, I have installed my replacement Rx and after enough flights to warrant an opinion, I'll add the results here.
BlazingStar is offline Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Old Apr 07, 2011, 02:44 PM
Your user title is suggestive,
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Apr 2006
1,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulian1819 View Post
Hey guys, this is the second response from HH about how to config fflaperons:

WIll try this again and pray it will work :P

also:

whats a safe flight time of the Eflite 250mah batteries on the mosquito?, I usually like to fly safe so just 6 min

I would suggest starting with a clean program and no mixes enabled.

Then turn on the TX, put it at full throttle, full up (or is it down?) elevator, and full left aileron. At least for Mode2.

Then, plug in the battery on the Mosquito. Keep everything in position until the RX locks up. You should now see the right aileron moving with the stick and the left aileron not moving at all.

Now, unplug and turn everything off, set the TX up for Flaperons and then re-install the battery in the Mosquito. Both surfaces should now move.

On my 11X, I had to reverse the LAILE channel to get things moving the right way.

Don't try to use flaperons for landing flaps. Instead, mix in snap-flap; up elevator gives down flaps. Maybe a 20% mix should be fine. That will tighten up the loops. As the elevator deflects, more load is put on the wings. The down flaps increases the lift a little bit.
Xptical is offline Find More Posts by Xptical
Old Apr 07, 2011, 02:45 PM
Joined Jan 2011
11 Posts
My roommate and I both just bought mosquitos. We have been enjoying them very much. They do seem a lot more durable than we originally thought.

Just the other day my roommate crashed nose first into a bunch of thick sticks and brush and we thought for sure the plane would be in pieces but the wing spar saved it from being sheared in half and it flow just fine a couple minutes later. I added a carbon rod to my rear stab just for some added durability and seems to be holding up just fine. Its sad to hear a lot of people are having problems on here so i thought i would share a good experience. Hope everyone can get the problems fixed and be back flying again.
initial283 is offline Find More Posts by initial283
Old Apr 07, 2011, 02:46 PM
Please excuse me..
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Feb 2011
784 Posts
I'm not trying to complain, I honestly fly my mosquito from time to time. I think it might just be me (someone's going to quote that and say it is just me) but after not being able to fly mine for the initial two weeks due to a burned out motor after the first 5 flights, I kind of lost the magic for this airplane. Even after I fixed it, it isn't as "fun" as my other micros, partly because I vividly remember the death spin I barely pulled out of after that motor failed.

Am I doing something wrong? I know how to fly airplanes, so maybe my expectations arent too high, just different. It is perfectly reasonable that I prefer a different flight envelope than that offered by the Mosquito. It flies fine, but doesn't handle that well, just sort of flops around... Again, no intention of disrespect- I just personally don't prefer the scale warbomber feel it has.

Other than that, it is the sweetest looking and sounding plane I've got, hence why it is still on proud display in my hangar with flights every week or two.

To close, my comment on the magnitude of the motor issue was meant to encompass all micros in which these motors are employed- there is 100%, no doubt a lack of quality displayed by the MTBF of these things (and servos- these micro servos can die if wind blows over them). This is a total rehash of what people have said before. I would pay $20-$25 more per plane if they came with some sort of micro brushless motor, even if that meant Parkzone had to spend several thousand dollars R&D'ing that. The thing is, there is no financial incentive for them to introduce such motor except in small, specialized applications (UMX Beast) that do not occupy more than a fraction of their product offering. Supply side economics
represent is offline Find More Posts by represent
Last edited by represent; Apr 07, 2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2011, 02:48 PM
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Apr 2006
1,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by initial283 View Post
My roommate and I both just bought mosquitos. We have been enjoying them very much. They do seem a lot more durable than we originally thought.

Just the other day my roommate crashed nose first into a bunch of thick sticks and brush and we thought for sure the plane would be in pieces but the wing spar saved it from being sheared in half and it flow just fine a couple minutes later. I added a carbon rod to my rear stab just for some added durability and seems to be holding up just fine. Its sad to hear a lot of people are having problems on here so i thought i would share a good experience. Hope everyone can get the problems fixed and be back flying again.
Mine is rocking pretty good too. My only mod was to fab up some 240mah Hyperion packs and pull the landing gear off. Oh, and I set up flaperons too.

I've been having entirely too much fun doing strafing runs in my parking lot...
Old Apr 07, 2011, 02:51 PM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,161 Posts
Quote:
.... due to a burned out motor after the first 5 flights, I kind of lost the magic for this airplane..
Right side motor?
BlazingStar is offline Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Old Apr 07, 2011, 02:54 PM
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Apr 2006
1,805 Posts
Quote:
I'm not trying to complain, I honestly fly my mosquito from time to time. I think it might just be me (someone's going to quote that and say it is just me) but after not being able to fly mine for the initial two weeks due to a burned out motor after the first 5 flights, I kind of lost the magic for this airplane. Even after I fixed it, it isn't as "fun" as my other micros, partly because I vividly remember the death spin I barely pulled out of after that motor failed.

Am I doing something wrong? I know how to fly airplanes, so maybe my expectations arent too high, just different. It is perfectly reasonable that I prefer a different flight envelope than that offered by the Mosquito. It flies fine, but doesn't handle that well, just sort of flops around... Again, no intention of disrespect- I just personally don't prefer the scale warbomber feel it has.

Other than that, it is the sweetest looking and sounding plane I've got, hence why it is still on proud display in my hangar with flights every week or two.

To close, my comment on the magnitude of the motor issue was meant to encompass all micros in which these motors are employed- there is 100%, no doubt a lack of quality displayed by the MTBF of these things. This is a total rehash of what people have said before. I would pay $20-$25 more per plane if they came with some sort of micro brushless motor, even if that meant Parkzone had to spend several thousand dollars R&D'ing that. The thing is, there is no financial incentive for them to introduce such motor except in small, specialized applications (UMX Beast) that do not occupy more than a fraction of their product offering. Supply side economics sucks in many cases.
I think there is a point of diminishing returns in terms of quality and price.

I wouldn't pay much more than $100 for a micro plane. The majority of my flights on these things is right at dusk when I get home from work. Maybe an hour window right at the end of the day.

The Mosquito is $120. I doubt I would have bought it at $150; even if it was brushless.
Old Apr 07, 2011, 02:57 PM
Please excuse me..
Joined Feb 2011
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingStar View Post
Right side motor?
Ya it was right side. Its detailed way back in this post, although someone got confused in response to my post and after that everyone thought my port side was the one out.

Horizon shipped me a new motor, it took a week to get to me, so 2 weeks into the whole situation I open this new motor, hoping to finally enjoy my mosquito more than just 5 flights, and they had sent me a P51 motor.

Note to everyone- P51 motor leads aren't long enough. So I called Horizon back, and they eventually sent me the Mosquito motor 2 pack. I was pissed for a moment after the P51 motors showed up, but hey I got three motors, well 2 motors for "free"

It flies fine now, but any wind and it likes to flip while turning
Old Apr 07, 2011, 03:01 PM
Please excuse me..
Joined Feb 2011
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xptical View Post

The Mosquito is $120. I doubt I would have bought it at $150; even if it was brushless.
Lol speak for yourself!! If it was $150, featured twin brushless motors, and whooped ass, I would buy it in a heartbeat!
Old Apr 07, 2011, 03:14 PM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xptical View Post
I think there is a point of diminishing returns in terms of quality and price.

I wouldn't pay much more than $100 for a micro plane. The majority of my flights on these things is right at dusk when I get home from work. Maybe an hour window right at the end of the day.

I agree.... The price was right for me on all of these Ultra Micros. I have had a blast with them. My dad (and I) use to pay the price of one RTF Ultra Micro for just a pair of high torque servos for our large scale nitro planes and 3+ meter wingspan gliders.
These budget ultra micros are what got me back into the hobby in a limited way after a hiatus from flying. The advancements in battery technology and micro components is facinating to me! I wish they had these when I was growing up
F18 is offline Find More Posts by F18