HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:33 PM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,041 Posts
To start, I have a mosquito, it is awesome. I have had ZERO of these issues with it. It flies straight, tracks true, and will do a full throttle fly by no with little input.

That being said, why should the plane, out of the box, need as much as claimed, down elevator trimmed in
Flying-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2011, 12:14 AM
Bakersfield, California
Joined Jan 2007
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Tell me if this looks right.

I taped a bamboo skewer flush with the bottom of the wing. Then I placed a second skewer flush with the bottom of the tail.

It seems to me I'm seeing at least an 8 degree up angle on the tail plane compared to the wing.

Is this a valid measurement? Is this what it should be? Can anyone confirm their own measurements?
That is a good way to display the angle of attack.
I used a Robart wing incidence gauge, and found that the rear stab is at -.5 deg. and the LE of the wing is at +2.5 deg. from center line.
maxwellmark is offline Find More Posts by maxwellmark
Old Apr 01, 2011, 09:04 AM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
To start, I have a mosquito, it is awesome. I have had ZERO of these issues with it. It flies straight, tracks true, and will do a full throttle fly by no with little input.

That being said, why should the plane, out of the box, need as much as claimed, down elevator trimmed in
Mine flys great too! I dial in a little down elevator only in windy conditions but that is about it. The plane should fly level with all control surfaces neutral and no wind if the plane is balanced correctly. Mine has a nice glide angle even with dead stick!

The only real variable I see with the Mosquito is that it is available only as
a BNF..... so everyone is binding different Spectrum compatible transmitters which makes me wonder........?
F18 is offline Find More Posts by F18
Last edited by F18; Apr 01, 2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2011, 09:11 AM
Lafayette, In
Joined Dec 2003
410 Posts
Mine flew perfect right out of the box, even the trim was right on. With stock battery it did loops, rolls. split "S", inverted flight and hammerheads, I couldn't ask for anything more.
I am very pleased.
Jack
Jack Brewer is offline Find More Posts by Jack Brewer
Old Apr 01, 2011, 09:52 AM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Brewer View Post
Mine flew perfect right out of the box, even the trim was right on. With stock battery it did loops, rolls. split "S", inverted flight and hammerheads, I couldn't ask for anything more.
I am very pleased.
Jack
+1. As much as I like my Suhoi XP I find myself flying the Mossie first, until I'm out of batteries for it!
GradyLee is online now Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Apr 01, 2011, 10:08 AM
Lubbock, TX
Joined May 2008
467 Posts
Great little scale aircraft

I have to agree with those just above here. I have had no flying problems with my Mossie. I love flying it in the front yard along with the micro T-28. My ONLY grief is the noseovers have chave cost me two cannons. No big deal.

NFG
Navy Fly Guy is offline Find More Posts by Navy Fly Guy
Old Apr 01, 2011, 10:46 AM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
8,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post

More rain and wind so I don't think I'll be flying her today. Can someone post a side view photo showing how much the trim is set in the elevator?

thanks,
Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Apr 01, 2011, 11:25 AM
Aptos, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2001
276 Posts
Elevator Servo Not Centering

We figured out why mine seemed to be wanting to pitch up excessively.

I thought it was a CG problem but it turned out that the elevator servo was not centering. That is, if I went from up elevator to neutral the elevator would not return all the way to neutral unless I put in some down elevator. This caused the plane to pitch up when coming out of turns or climbs and made it feel unstable. The clue was that it wasn't unstable when coming out of a dive, as it would be if the CG were too far aft. Looking at the elevator position when going from up to neutral, it was then obvious what was happening.

I called ParkZone and they are sending me a new board.
aginzu is offline Find More Posts by aginzu
Old Apr 01, 2011, 11:56 AM
Joined Jan 2008
721 Posts
UM DC-3 next?
wrcsti is offline Find More Posts by wrcsti
Old Apr 01, 2011, 12:35 PM
Lafayette, In
Joined Dec 2003
410 Posts
UM A-26 Invader should be next on the list.
Old Apr 01, 2011, 12:58 PM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcsti View Post
UM DC-3 next?
Oh ya! That could easily be painted and decaled to resemble the US Navy's YC-129 or the C-47 troop transport. 1936 was a very good year!

Also a P-38 Lightning or a Northrop P-61B Black Widow night-fighter. I am facinated with double tailed aircraft!
Last edited by F18; Apr 01, 2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2011, 01:16 PM
Langley, British Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Fly Guy View Post
I have to agree with those just above here. I have had no flying problems with my Mossie. I love flying it in the front yard along with the micro T-28. My ONLY grief is the noseovers have chave cost me two cannons. No big deal.

NFG
Me too. No real problems once trim is set with a little down elevator. No problem doing basic aerobatics and siimply a fun plane to fly. I really like doing scale takeoffs and landings. Apart from a sticky wheel (easy to fix) it has been fun flying.
kingsnake11 is offline Find More Posts by kingsnake11
Old Apr 01, 2011, 01:46 PM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,141 Posts
Regarding nose high attitude flying

I thought I'd add my experience here too.
Right out of the box my mosquito also flew very "tail heavy", nose high attitude. Perhaps not as severe as mclarkson, but still bad enough that I had to add all the down trim the Tx would allow and still needed more.

Easily fixed by bending the elevator control rods at the U joint.

So mine was not "perfect out of the box" as the above two posts suggest.

My other "negtive" experiences have been:
  • weak right motor (which died after 12 flights - replacement seems to also have issues)
  • Having to cut both motor nacelle and fuse to swap out the motor
  • easy rudder damage from nose overs

All in all, a pretty positive experience and I know HH is reading this and implementing improvements in their next release (P38? B25? B17?....)
BlazingStar is offline Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Old Apr 01, 2011, 03:28 PM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Scale pilot for the Mosuito?

Sorry...but I did not do a search and this topic may have been posted on before!
But does anyone know of a source for scale pilots that would fit the Mosquito and the other Ultra Micros? I would say they would need to be 1/32 scale
to look right.

I googled it and most of the companies that were doing unpainted scale pilot figures in 1/32 at one time are out of business......
Last edited by F18; Apr 01, 2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2011, 03:35 PM
Lafayette, In
Joined Dec 2003
410 Posts
http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=505
Sparky has 1" pilots at the end of his list of pilots kits, you paint.