HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2011, 02:30 PM
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jul 2010
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingStar View Post
Well, I've had a dozen good flights on my pretty mossie.
I just said "uh-oh flight #13 coming up" (not really being supersticious)
and the starboard prop wouldn't turn on take-off

Now that motor always "looked" slower than the other one. But now it won't go at all unless I give it a start with my finger. "contact".... and there she goes. Throttle back to off and up angain and it won't go anymore. So no flight #13 for me. That averages to $10 a flight for this plane - not a good return on the dollar!

I thought maybe it's a gear mesh issue. opened it up and had a good look. all gears mesh. Nothing is rubbing. A little oil for lubrication did not help. spininng it slowly with my finger I can feel and hear a grinding from the motor.

Ah, crap!
Will call Horizon tomorrow and see what happens. Even if I get a replacement motor, my pretty plane will need open heart surgery to fix
My right motor slows down a great deal as well. I've opened it up several times to try to find out what is going on. I've lubed it and made sure nothing was binding. When I do a bench run, it spins just as free as the left. However, after I fly for a bit, the resistance come back. At the end of the next flight, it's pretty bad. I guess I'll call HH tomorrow.
ElIntocable is offline Find More Posts by ElIntocable
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2011, 02:41 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Sounds like the motor or the propshaft tightens up with a bit of heat.

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Mar 31, 2011, 03:15 PM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,172 Posts
Update

Received the replacement motor (pair) from HH and managed to replace the starboard one without too much cosmetic damage to the airframe.
good news: right hand prop runs like new again
bad news: just like when it was new, it's a little sluggish to start, leaving me to wonder whether it will crap out again after another dozen flights.
No signs of gears damaged or rubbing on the foam. lubrication made no difference.

we'll see.....

Let us know how you come out.
BlazingStar is online now Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Old Mar 31, 2011, 05:17 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,300 Posts
Alright guys, I'm at a loss. I cannot get this plane to fly.

*With the battery all the way forward
*With a dime taped to the battery for forward weight
*With full down trim on the elevator

At full throttle, the plane LOOPS with no elevator input. I am not kidding.

The only way to achieve 'level' flight, is in a nose-high, high-alpha position.

The CG is dead on (without the dime.)

The down angle on the engines looks good.

No crashes. It's always flown this way right out of the box.

This has got to be a misalignment of the tail/wing or something similar, doesn't it?

I've called HH and they have no advice for me. Can anyone help? Does your mossy fly? What's the alignment between the tail and the wing? Where can I look?
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Mar 31, 2011, 05:44 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post

This has got to be a misalignment of the tail/wing or something similar, doesn't it?

I've called HH and they have no advice for me. Can anyone help? Does your mossy fly? What's the alignment between the tail and the wing? Where can I look?
Is the elevator level(mechanically, at zervo trim)? Also test the mossy on the ground. Hold the mossy and advance the throttle. Does the elevator move at all when the throttle is advanced? Maybe the servo moves the elevator up when the throttle is advanced.
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:29 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,682 Posts
Quote:

Are the ailerons neutral with power on? Just wondering if you might have some sort of accidental flapperon thing happening ... not even sure if that would act that way but flaps at speed make a plane balloon upward so might have the same effect if both ailerons had a little downward deflection at neutral ... just a thought.

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:54 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post
No, it has a JST plug so you need one #BLH3126 Blade 120 SR Variable Rate Charger Adapter.

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/air...dapter__1233f/

They cost about $3.20 over here so probably cheaper your side of the pond
The blade 120 SR comes with that adaptor lead, so I dug around for half an hour and finally found mine. Looks like I will be able to take out the down-trim and bend the wings in a loop (VBG)

Eric H.
Eric Henderson is online now Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:56 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,300 Posts
Thanks guys. I should have noted: the plane flies nose up all the time, not just under full power.

Slow, "level" flight is 30-40 degrees of nose up.

The elevator is actually visibly down at neutral control. I started at neutral and have fed in full down trim through the Tx.

Everything works great on the ground. Ailerons are flush and level.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:01 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,300 Posts
Tell me if this looks right.

I taped a bamboo skewer flush with the bottom of the wing. Then I placed a second skewer flush with the bottom of the tail.

It seems to me I'm seeing at least an 8 degree up angle on the tail plane compared to the wing.

Is this a valid measurement? Is this what it should be? Can anyone confirm their own measurements?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:02 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,300 Posts
Sorry. I somehow didn't get the photos attached last time.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:38 PM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,978 Posts
I haven't measured the exact angle but mine looks exactly the same... the tail looks horizontal but the wing is significantly angled up, especially at the root... seems to be less significant further out.
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:40 PM
VA
Joined Feb 2009
866 Posts
Hey would their be any interest in a used mosquito flown twice and basically no damage except a bend in the rudder at the top
for about 100
friz is offline Find More Posts by friz
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:52 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,964 Posts
Laid straight edge on mine and the one on the wing appears to be as close to being the same as yours as I could judge and the when I put it on the horizontal stabilizer, it might be a little bit higher where it goes over the wing. Sort of hard to make sure it's flat on the stabilizer though. Not much different for sure. Mine flies quite well. There are times I think it is trying to climb on it's own, but it is always after I have made a turn or something using up elevator. When it does this if I tap the down elev stick a time or two to move the nose back down, it flies straight and level until I do something again. It will tend to climb more into a wind, but I still can usually point the nose back down and then it stays pretty level. I have a bit (visible) down trim on the elevator. And I have programmed in some down elevator to throttle mix and it seems to want to climb less with that.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:19 PM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Sorry. I somehow didn't get the photos attached last time.
Mclarkson.....That looks about right. There should be no angle of incidence on the elevator/horizontal stabilizer which means it is paralell to the center line splitting the top and bottom of the fuselage in half the length of this plane. if you sight down from the tail the elevator should line up along that center line.

The wing should always have an "angle of incidence". High at the leading edge and dropping to the trailing edge. The amount would depend on the type of plane. A high speed highly manueverable plane like a pylon racer
would have almost zero angle of incidence.

The tips of the elevator are pretty flimsy on the Mossie. On mine, one tip was like a wet noodle when I got it.....and the other stiff. I reinforce both tips with extra tape to make sure they did not flex and deform during maneuvers at full throttle. The forward pointed tip could be flipping down with the airspeed even if the rest of the elevator is held neutral on yours.

Also, get someone to hold the plane and do a "range test" with you and the transmitter at the other end of the field to see if there is some involuntary movement of the elevator with the weaker signal.

But other than that I don't see anything physical in your pic that would cause it to almost fly like a helicopter.........
F18 is offline Find More Posts by F18
Last edited by F18; Mar 31, 2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:21 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,256 Posts
Quote:

Sounds like you need more down elevator; the photo doesn't really look like you have that much. Pinch the U-bend in the elevator pushrod so you can get more down trim.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor