HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2011, 04:14 PM
Super Man's cousin! No cape!
Australia, New South Wales, Wangi Wangi
Joined Sep 2010
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
Went to my LHS today to get a BNF Micro T-28 and bought the Mossie instead! HOLY COW I didn't know that this thing was out! She sure is a looker

Weather here is crummy but luckily I have three softball fields less than 250 yards from the house

Can't wait to maiden!
Hahaha, I was after a BNF T-28 and walked out with a Mosquito She is a really good plane. Flies alot like The Beast!
Ultra_Spitfire is offline Find More Posts by Ultra_Spitfire
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2011, 04:43 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,459 Posts
Indoor or outdoor?

I'm sure that I will not be the last to have a first flight on this cute little Mossie.

The weather has been its usual non-cooperative self, so even though I knew it was going to be a bit windy I went for it.

Our club has a lovely smooth hard-top runway so the wheels were used. The good news was that my 250mAh batteries from the Chinook were the same. Just added a bit of Velcro and bingo, spare packs.

You really do need to get the pack all the way forward, but the nose cover stops you. Hmmm...

The (bloody cold) wind came and went unpredicatably. Before the first flight the wind was blowing so hard that it needed 3/4 throttle to just hold its ground on the runway.

The wind then dropped so off we went. Of course, she climbed a lot, so much that I landed ASAP and dialed in a bunch of down-sub-trim and took the regular trim back to the center. Much better. Left the sub-trim command on and added some more rather than use the flight trim. Ended up about 1.16: down. There is definitely a climb (nose-up efect) on full throttle. Fixed that with some throttle to elevator down trim point-mix startingat about 1/4 stick and increasing to 10%.

Ailerons were right on and no rudder trim was needed. Fying was much better with the correct trims. Rolls were easy but they do drop off on the fourth quarter. Rudder did not help much. I saw this later in stall turns. I would submit that the two props fight the rudder- Most of my twins do this. Thought/hoped it might be different with contra-roating engines! (Oops! I mean motors).

The best way that I found to get a good roll was to pulse the elevator. With the right timing the rolls looked realy good. Inverted was solid straight ahead and in turns. You could push out in a 1/2 outside loop to get level again, instead of rolling.

Landings were a treat with or without a headwind. The slow flight was really good in a straight line.

Now to indoor flying. In a basketball court--I would say nope! In two courts side by side--maybe. Bigger than that no problem. The prior conclusions should be couched with some flying skill metrics--if such a thing could ever exist.

The wind did drop for significant periods of flying time and I tried flying at gym-speeds which are inherently slower for most of us.. The Mossie will fly slowly but you get into trouble in the turns. Flat turns with a twin usually suck unless you can modulate the engines in favor of the turn. So instead of rudder/yaw you bank and then gently yank. Then everything either speeds up or you drop the nose badly.

Stick four soccer-cones, to mark out your indoor facility, on the grass and see if you can stay within their boundries. Then take 20% off that space to allow for the reality and effect of solid walls on your eyes (and courage!)--Bon voyage!

Anyway, I now adore my Mossie and need more of the AR6400T boards!!!

FYI - I did do some CAR and that really helps the indoor skill-set needed but messes up rolls etc.

Regards,

Eric H.
Eric Henderson is online now Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:29 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
Was busy today so didn't get to peek out the windows too much but it looked pretty breezy. Thanks for all of the info and suggestions fellas. If the wind is low in the early AM she will be flying. Doesn't look too promising though. Rain and snow for tomorrow. What part of NJ are you in Eric?

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:29 PM
It's the Water!
Olympia, WA
Joined Apr 2005
90 Posts
Got two full flights on her tonight, YAY!!!

She looks so darn good in the air. I'm in love
NWarty is offline Find More Posts by NWarty
Old Mar 31, 2011, 03:15 AM
Our main weapon is surprise...
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2006
2,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
Got two full flights on her tonight, YAY!!!

She looks so darn good in the air. I'm in love
Now don't you start .. one of the guys recommended I marry mine after a post like that! ... I asked if that was legal ....
Rowdy_b64 is offline Find More Posts by Rowdy_b64
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:23 AM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy_b64 View Post
Now don't you start .. one of the guys recommended I marry mine after a post like that! ... I asked if that was legal ....
I talk to my plane more than my wife!
The comedian Red Skeleton once said, "I have not spoken to my wife in 18 months.....I don't like to interupt her"
F18 is offline Find More Posts by F18
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:52 AM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
I posted a few pages back about the erratic aileron servo movement I was progressively having with my Mossie at low rpm with initial throttle imput.

After twisting wires and trying to temporarily shield some of the wire sets... nothing worked.
While bench testing I had switched to a 160mAh battery because the original 250mAh needed recharging. And the servos worked perfect with the alternative battery.

I purchased 3 new 250mAh batteries and the plane functions perfectly again.....like new! With the new batteries there is NO erratic aileron servo glitching at low rpm. So with my mossie, the problem was due to a defective/
unhealthy battery (original battery). Not sure how that manifested itself in the aileron servos being possesed.....but using a new battery cured the problem

Cheers
Last edited by F18; Mar 31, 2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:59 AM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
I posted a few pages back about the erratic aileron servo movement I was progressively having with my Mossie at low rpm with initial throttle imput.

After twisting wires and trying to temporarily shield some of the wire sets... nothing worked.
While bench testing I had switched to a 160mAh battery because the original 250mAh needed recharding. And the servos worked perfect with the alternative battery.

I purchased 3 new 250mAh batteries and the plane functions perfectly again.....like new! With the new batteries there is NO erratic aileron servo glitching at low rpm. So with my mossie, the problem was due to a defective/
unhealthy battery (original battery). Not sure how that manifested itself in the aileron sevos being possesed.....but using a new battery cured the problem

Cheers
That's good news thanks for the update!
I'm not sure how a battery can have that effect but glad you got it working.
jer291113 is offline Find More Posts by jer291113
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:15 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,050 Posts
I had a bad battery like that, that I used with my Mustang & Cub. It had full voltage but I could not bind either plane with it. Stuck another battery in with the same exact voltage & everything was fine.
ColoradoHeliNut is online now Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:18 AM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer291113 View Post
That's good news thanks for the update!
I'm not sure how a battery can have that effect but glad you got it working.
Me neither! I had experienced alot of rc battery issues over the years.....but I have never seen a bad battery effect just one set of servos like this until now.
Must be something inherent to the Spectrum RX........
Last edited by F18; Mar 31, 2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:59 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS View Post
Was busy today so didn't get to peek out the windows too much but it looked pretty breezy. Thanks for all of the info and suggestions fellas. If the wind is low in the early AM she will be flying. Doesn't look too promising though. Rain and snow for tomorrow. What part of NJ are you in Eric?

Mike
Mike,
I must appolgise, I did not update my profile correctly. I recently moved to Rockville MD. I missed the state field when I did my entry.

Regards,

Eric H.
Eric Henderson is online now Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Mar 31, 2011, 02:23 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
You can if she's of age. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy_b64 View Post
taekwondo is offline Find More Posts by taekwondo
Old Mar 31, 2011, 02:31 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Henderson View Post
Mike,
I must appolgise, I did not update my profile correctly. I recently moved to Rockville MD. I missed the state field when I did my entry.

Regards,

Eric H.
No problem Eric. Hope you have more good flying weather down there.

I might have some luck this evening. No longr raining and the wind looks to be down to 1-2mph.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Mar 31, 2011, 02:36 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,343 Posts
Can the 500mAh 1-Cell 3.7V 12C Li-Po for the 120SR be used with the Mossie without any special connectors?
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 31, 2011, 03:12 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
Can the 500mAh 1-Cell 3.7V 12C Li-Po for the 120SR be used with the Mossie without any special connectors?
No, it has a JST plug so you need one #BLH3126 Blade 120 SR Variable Rate Charger Adapter.

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/air...dapter__1233f/

They cost about $3.20 over here so probably cheaper your side of the pond
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard