HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2011, 09:05 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamov View Post
had a problem with the mossie I left my call back number and they called back in 30 minutes and had a broken part shipped in 2 days no charge. HH has superb support in the industry.

I flew the Mossie in high winds today and it was just floating above my head. Im using a TP 360mah 25c cell and the weight seems to help. I want to try the eflite 1s 500mah

but does anyone know a 1s cell between 360-500 that would fit the battery tray?

I'm getting 9 minutes on the 360mah and stock just around 6min before it hits lvc normal flying with occasional WOT. Is 6min on the stock about average?
I don't fly in windy conditions, but set my timer for 10 minutes now on the mossie and never get near pulse or low voltage cutoff. It still seems to have full power. I have flown it for 12 minutes numerous times without power loss. I only have the stock 250 batteries. Several others here report this same flight time.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2011, 09:13 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,748 Posts
Weather was not conducive to flying today so I set about seeing how many of the functions on my new DX8 I could lay on the Mossie. Separate ailerons, spoilerons, triple rates and throttle hold on Mix 1. I ran the motors slowly for about 3 minutes to set the brushes, let things cool and then gave it a blast of throttle. It almost looks like it will hover. Motors sound great and in sync. Come on Mr. Weatherman give me a break as it is time for a maiden...
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:07 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
Weather was not conducive to flying today so I set about seeing how many of the functions on my new DX8 I could lay on the Mossie. Separate ailerons, spoilerons, triple rates and throttle hold on Mix 1. I ran the motors slowly for about 3 minutes to set the brushes, let things cool and then gave it a blast of throttle. It almost looks like it will hover. Motors sound great and in sync. Come on Mr. Weatherman give me a break as it is time for a maiden...
Gary
I hear you on the westher Gary, I've been grounded for about a week now of constant 30 km / hr winds, and it's getting darn frustrating. Can't wait to get my little mossie back in the air, it's a blast to fly.

You have to try to hook up a vid of that maiden for us!

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:02 AM
Bakersfield, California
Joined Jan 2007
253 Posts
Quote:
<edit>
but does anyone know a 1s cell between 360-500 that would fit the battery tray?<edit>
I've got 2 240mAH with a parallel plug that fit perfect. I can get 15 minutes if I manage my throttle right. I usually set my watch for 10 minutes. Figure thats long enough wear on the motor for each flight. While it cools I fly 1 of my other UM's.....Too many planes, not enough batteries
maxwellmark is offline Find More Posts by maxwellmark
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:02 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,329 Posts
was doing a bit more reading and searching and found out that right here in good ol Australia we built over 200 of the Mosquito's and i found this old Aussie news reel vid on the tube, it shows it being built and it has some good flying at the end too

cheers chuck

Wooden Mosquito Airplane Manufacturing in Australia -1944 de Havilland DH98 (3 min 1 sec)
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:26 AM
Joined Aug 2010
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
was doing a bit more reading and searching and found out that right here in good ol Australia we built over 200 of the Mosquito's and i found this old Aussie news reel vid on the tube, it shows it being built and it has some good flying at the end too

cheers chuck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7cVvYdLeek
Great vid Chuck! Thanks for posting!!
Dualquad62 is offline Find More Posts by Dualquad62
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:38 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,748 Posts
Chuck,
Thanks for finding that video. I am dying to maiden my Mossie but the blasted weather simply will not cooperate
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:11 PM
Joined Jul 2009
313 Posts
Picked up my mossie the other day, maidened her. With a hyperion 240mah should she be able to loop from level flight?
mitsudriver274 is offline Find More Posts by mitsudriver274
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:21 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post

cheers chuck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7cVvYdLeek
Great video! I'd known the Mosquito was done in part with balsa . . .
GradyLee is online now Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Mar 28, 2011, 01:03 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsudriver274 View Post
Picked up my mossie the other day, maidened her. With a hyperion 240mah should she be able to loop from level flight?
I loop mine from level flight with the stock battery, just have to get it going good, high end throttle, and it loops fine. I imagine it will loop even better with the Hyperion battery.

Marlin
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:27 PM
CA
Joined May 2007
1,099 Posts
looks like any competent carpenter[or RC modeler] can make a full size mossie from plans
now where do we get a pair of Merlins ? and buckets of wood glue
Kamov is offline Find More Posts by Kamov
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:51 PM
Joined Jul 2009
313 Posts
Thats interesting mine def won't loop from level flight, it also came with both the aileron servos plugged into there own ports
mitsudriver274 is offline Find More Posts by mitsudriver274
Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:23 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsudriver274 View Post
Thats interesting mine def won't loop from level flight, it also came with both the aileron servos plugged into there own ports
Hmmm, I just looked at some video I posted earlier, check out 1:58 of this vid where it is a pretty level loop, then again at 2:58 where I pull a loop after a short CLIMB from mostly level flight.

Parkzone Mosquito Parking Lot Flying (6 min 3 sec)

You can sort of see a WOT throttle loop from level at about 1:00 of this vid as well.

PZ Mosquito UM Test Flight (7 min 12 sec)

I have not pulled mine apart so don't know if the ailerons are set up in a Y or not. I will say the loops are more like a written L than an O, but not too much issue at all. I do pull up to go into a roll, as the roll rate is a bit slow. I may also be cheating the loops just a hair in dropping the nost just before going into them ... but you can judge from the vid yourself.

All the best,

Marlin
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:36 PM
UK, Hereford and Worcester, Worcester
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
Quote:
now where do we get a pair of Merlins ?
Scrap a couple of Spitfires?
aracer is offline Find More Posts by aracer
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:51 PM
Team OFG (Old Fat Guys)
United States, KY, Leitchfield
Joined Jul 2008
437 Posts
Expo on Mossy.

I am sure someone has posted it, but I am too short on time to look throgh all the threads to find it. So what does everyone recommend on expo? I programmed it into my DX6I and put in 80% on everything, but it's too windy to fly today so I can't try it out yet.
Any suggestions?
I already have the leading edges taped up and I applied a few details with a sharpie to "sharpen" it up a bit. I may paint it up a matt black to make it into a night fighter like someone else did.
SEFF awaits and I need to maiden her before then, so lets hear it guys and gals.
BigD1961 is online now Find More Posts by BigD1961
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Got to run it!