SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:02 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,572 Posts
skyjet,

I've enjoyed your vids and appreciate your efforts.
Personally, I'm still undecided on the Mosquito.

So often we seem to dwell on the little negs of these UM planes.
My original V1 Sukhoi has over 500 flights on it and is still going strong.
Yes, I've replaced motors and done all kinds of mods but I've never had a servo or brick problem.
Pretty impressive considering that I always fly on max throws.

So glad that I didn't listen to all the UMX Beast bashing elevator servo issues. I knew that Horizon would make it right if mine had problems.
My Beast is flawless and a dream machine to fly with Hyp 180s.
I couldn't be happier with it.

Do you like the performance of the Mosquito with parallel Hyp 240s?
Does the plane fly too heavy?

Thanks,

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:15 AM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
It came unplugged somehow! Bummer now because I had to glue and tape the wing and tail from the crash...but,,,it is all good now. Horizon hobby is good to deal with and I probably won't request a new plane after all. I just am bummed about the damage due to a plug that came undone. The plane literally plummeted to its doom with no control
Ouch (the crash)! At least it was not a failed motor; we can deal with loose connectors. Thanks for letting us know.
jdwolters is offline Find More Posts by jdwolters
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:19 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by represent View Post
Mike where do you fly around Dallas? I know these micros can go up just about anywhere but my friend and I have been bringing them along with our big planes to Richland College- wide open and not many people around, unless soccer games are going on...
I've heard about this site... what days/times? PM me..
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:21 AM
Joined Aug 2010
305 Posts
Hello again,
I am reading this thread continuously and Im having trouble to decide if buy or not to buy the Mossie.

Can someone sumarize the problems (if there are any?) of the plane. Is it good plane, or I should buy another micro?
awacsCZE is offline Find More Posts by awacsCZE
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:32 AM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Apr 2009
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awacsCZE View Post
Hello again,
I am reading this thread continuously and Im having trouble to decide if buy or not to buy the Mossie.

Can someone sumarize the problems (if there are any?) of the plane. Is it good plane, or I should buy another micro?
IMO there are no problems with this plane. It looks great, flys great and I love it as I do my other 6 pz micros. Bob
wslco10 is offline Find More Posts by wslco10
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:38 AM
Michigan
Joined Sep 2003
58 Posts
It's really what you want from a given plane

Quote:
Hello again,

In my ever so humble opinion, it is not so much about issues with the plane as much as, "Do you want a micro scale, full-house, twin-engine war-bird in YOUR hanger"?.

*ALL* of these planes are subject to "Consumer Quality Control". That is to say, the manufacture does very minimal checking of the build quality of the final product. Only when the distributor of the product gets enough complaints from the consumers, will something get done.

THIS IS NOT UNIQUE TO PZ/HH. Really it extends beyond hobby grade products, but that is for another thread....

So for any of these products, issues will either be addressed or not, it all depends on 1) How much (polite) feedback the distributor gets and 2) How much will the "fix" cost.

For any of these products, bad motors, servos, bent/misshapen parts are going to be a reality.

What you can do, again for any product, is to buy it from a reputable (preferably local) dealer. Bring it back if there are *any* problems and make sure the distributor gets informed (*politely*) of the problems.

... I feel better now....

-McPhil
mcphil3 is offline Find More Posts by mcphil3
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:48 AM
Dallas Texas
Joined Dec 2010
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphil3 View Post
In my ever so humble opinion, it is not so much about issues with the plane as much as, "Do you want a micro scale, full-house, twin-engine war-bird in YOUR hanger"?.

*ALL* of these planes are subject to "Consumer Quality Control". That is to say, the manufacture does very minimal checking of the build quality of the final product. Only when the distributor of the product gets enough complaints from the consumers, will something get done.

THIS IS NOT UNIQUE TO PZ/HH. Really it extends beyond hobby grade products, but that is for another thread....

So for any of these products, issues will either be addressed or not, it all depends on 1) How much (polite) feedback the distributor gets and 2) How much will the "fix" cost.

For any of these products, bad motors, servos, bent/misshapen parts are going to be a reality.

What you can do, again for any product, is to buy it from a reputable (preferably local) dealer. Bring it back if there are *any* problems and make sure the distributor gets informed (*politely*) of the problems.

... I feel better now....

-McPhil
Ditto to what you said. This little twin is a 10 on the coolness scale. Even w my servo issue, I have zero regret buying this plane.
foxtrot70 is offline Find More Posts by foxtrot70
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:49 AM
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined Nov 2004
741 Posts
Quote:
Hello again,

No problems for me yet, it flys great. Just remember that even though its a micro it still flys like a Warbird.
daylight99 is offline Find More Posts by daylight99
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:49 AM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
skyjet,

I've enjoyed your vids and appreciate your efforts.
Personally, I'm still undecided on the Mosquito.

So often we seem to dwell on the little negs of these UM planes.
My original V1 Sukhoi has over 500 flights on it and is still going strong.
Yes, I've replaced motors and done all kinds of mods but I've never had a servo or brick problem.
Pretty impressive considering that I always fly on max throws.

So glad that I didn't listen to all the UMX Beast bashing elevator servo issues. I knew that Horizon would make it right if mine had problems.
My Beast is flawless and a dream machine to fly with Hyp 180s.
I couldn't be happier with it.

Do you like the performance of the Mosquito with parallel Hyp 240s?
Does the plane fly too heavy?

Thanks,

rc
Well I only have that one flight with dual 240's so far. The spring winds won't quit. I hope to get it back out soon to get a better feel how it flies with the different batteries and of course that usually comes down to personal preference. My first impression is I think it is more stable with a little weight in the nose. The dual 160's and 180's seemed perfect to me. I'm not sure about the dual 240's.

If your not sure about it, pass it up. You know there are more coming. If you like a plane where you just slap the sticks all around, this won't be for you. I don't think slow flight will be very good with this airplane. The plane likes to be flown like I flew it in that no wind video. Speaking of "no wind", again I want to say that this is a very low or no wind airplane. That doesn't bother me, because if it is windy, I'll fly something else.

I'm not a 3D guy. I keep most of my flying to your standard roll's. loop's. knife edges and inverted flight. I first saw your postings back on the Sokhoi and XP treads. I still have an XP that I do like to slap the sticks around with. The XP is fun to fly when there is some wind. I have the 4-site, but haven't gotten used to it yet.

You fly your um's a lot more than I do. I might of had 50 flights on my Sukhoi when I sold it. Even though I pre-ordered the XP, I just took it out of the box a couple of weeks ago.

I think the mosquito will get damaged easier than the XP.
skyjet is offline Find More Posts by skyjet
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:59 AM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggressorBLUE View Post
Got mine this past thursday....

I'd call them
Thanks, I did. My bad--I'd pre-ordered the UM Corsair at the same time, so they were holding the order until the Corsair had come in too. Oops! They've split the orders, now, so maybe I'll be able to maiden mine and report this weekend . . .
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Mar 07, 2011, 12:26 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot70 View Post
Ditto to what you said. This little twin is a 10 on the coolness scale. Even w my servo issue, I have zero regret buying this plane.
I agree. Even though my motor came unplugged, I love the way it flies and it sounds so awesome. I might even get another like I said previously. It flies inverted great as well.
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Mar 07, 2011, 01:00 PM
Lebanon,OH
Joined Oct 2002
381 Posts
Just picked up my Mossie this morning!! I made sure I took it out of the box to check any quaility control issues that might be apparent
My wheels are off ctr that many have reported here, but spin freely, so no biggie!! Wow! she does look much better in person. The details and the 3 bladed props just rock!! Got her home and did a quick charge of the battery, and set up my 6i while on the crapper Bound it, checked control deflections, and motor spool up. Went out in backyard and did a takeoff from my patio. There is a 5kt wind today, and like I have seen on some videos, the micro Mossie dosent like very much wind!! Grt flying plane, but I am going to wait for the wind to die dwn somemore to work her through her paces.

M3_matt is offline Find More Posts by M3_matt
Old Mar 07, 2011, 01:20 PM
Mayday! Mayday!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2010
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_matt View Post
Just picked up my Mossie this morning!! ...set up my 6i while on the crapper
TMI Matt!!! TMI...

Glad you are enjoying your Mossie so far--if only these winds would die down for a few days!!! I've only flown mine once--flew great except for the wind issue, and I bought several more Hyperion 240 Lipos from Quantum Hobby. Did a functional test and these seem to work great. Looking forward to flying her again once the weather cooperates...
jpt1205 is offline Find More Posts by jpt1205
Old Mar 07, 2011, 01:24 PM
Northern VA
Joined Feb 2011
79 Posts
Don't ya just hate it when...

you see the "Delivered" notice and you know your new Mossie is sitting on your front porch this very minute, it's blowing up a gale outside, you're stuck at work, and all you wanna do is run home and play!
petestorm is offline Find More Posts by petestorm
Old Mar 07, 2011, 01:28 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,311 Posts
"heavy" micro category

Quote:
Hello again,

I think this plane falls into the "heavy" micro category and requires a special license to fly! . It's a twin - that's great! We'll all learn some new skills while flying this aircraft. If you like the way it looks or sounds, get one! (some previous experience required)

We need to check both the motor and aileron cable connections since both have come off.
jdwolters is offline Find More Posts by jdwolters
Last edited by jdwolters; Mar 07, 2011 at 01:33 PM.