SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 06, 2011, 10:21 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Cheese,

HH can't 'solve' the variability problem with the P-51 motors, as they don't manufacture the motors. Therefore, the solution would mean switching to a different motor - and they haven't done that, as-of-yet.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2011, 10:48 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Correct but then the question is what is the proper life of these tiny motors? I have heard some having very short lives where others like yourself having a good lifespan.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming of the Mossie!
I would say about 100 flights of 5 minutes. Maybe less if you fly crazy, way more if you fly easy all the time. Getting more than that from such a small motor is just being lucky. Maybe in the near future, a new technology will come out and we will all laugh at those small brushed motors, but until then, I also agree. They are currently the best thing for low weight UM (unless you want them to fly at warp speed) and you have to look at them as consummables. Only thing HH could do to help us is making them easier to replace. (relatively easy on all other UMs, but look like it could be harder in the Mosquito...). Funnily, the easiest motor to replace is probably the Night Vapor, and it's probably the one that will last the longest since most people don't fly it at WOT.

Tip to Dave from HH, to pass to the designers: If there was no lips on the front of the motor for the Extra and 4-Site, replacing the motor would simply mean, removing the main gear and pulling it from the front after removing the little dab of RTV. That's what I did on my Extra. I simply used a Dremel, and remove that little lip so I could pull it from the front. Sure enough, the lip does help manufacturing, but that's nothing a little jig cannot fix on the assembly line. Much better than having to make a little cut out at the back of the motor and weaken the fuselage. Not sure why the lip and rtv is there for anyway. I simply put another motor in my Extra and didn't even bother to glue it back. Next motor replacement will likely only take me a whole 60 seconds!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Mar 06, 2011, 10:57 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Mossie FPV test-flight

I decided to try an FPV setup on the Mossie. Mounted a keychain cam under the belly @ the CG. AUW was 79.72g with the 15.2g cam. Checked everything on the ground - CG was right on the money, there was a good view, and there were no artifacts from the props.

Sky was sunny, temp was a balmy 22 F, and the wind was calm. Out to the cul-de-sac I went. Takeoff was very scale-like with the 15g payload. I kept the nose down to build airspeed; however I have to make a 90-degree turn just after takeoff to avoid a stand of pines. Making that turn was challenging with the extra payload. Climbout required 100% throttle, and she needed around 75% for level flight. I make a few passes, and performed an aileron roll just for grins. She was hot on approach, and the 90-degree turn I have to make just before touchdown was very challenging. I had to keep the airspeed up for the turn, and then bleed it off quickly for the landing. Twice, I tip-stalled in the turn and put her into the snowbank. Got the approach/landing worked out on the third attempt.

Went back to the house to check out the video. To my dismay, the power was off! Checked the video, and the cam ran out of juice just before takeoff!! Got everything charged, but now the wind is picking up.

It appears that 15g is close to the practical payload limit for this airframe with stock power. Flying her at this weight requires one to employ full-scale piloting techniques, as the power-to-weight is low and the wing-loading is relatively high. She's fine with the payload once she's up on the wing, but those two turns make for a high-stress flight.

Hopefully, I will get a chance to try again this afternoon.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2011, 11:03 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,765 Posts
post 1547-removing motors

well said, sir.
another possibility could be to make the motor/gb detachable, fixing it with screws. that works for me, as i like to exchange motors for evaluation and comparisons
(see my blog-Elf 20)http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=161065

something that hh could do is to provide a warning about not to run these motors wot all the time. it is like if you buy a car and the manufacturer tells you not to run it at maximum speed all the time, like racing at daytona or indy, as the vehicle is not intended for that.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Mar 06, 2011, 11:58 AM
Joined Aug 2010
305 Posts
Hello,
can I kindly ask for box dimensions of the box?
awacsCZE is offline Find More Posts by awacsCZE
Old Mar 06, 2011, 12:06 PM
Registered American Veteran
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2010
165 Posts
I measure out

L = 22 7/8"
W = 18 7/8"
H = 6 1/4"
natss is offline Find More Posts by natss
Old Mar 06, 2011, 12:10 PM
Bakersfield, California
Joined Jan 2007
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awacsCZE View Post
Hello,
can I kindly ask for box dimensions of the box?
natss beat me to it
maxwellmark is offline Find More Posts by maxwellmark
Last edited by maxwellmark; Mar 06, 2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 01:22 PM
Joined Nov 2004
857 Posts
I have to say, following up from earlier posts, the plane is breaking in nicely. With a few cycles on the batt and some run time on the motors, it's picked up a fair bit of speed and thrust. It's still no rocket but, it's very aerobatically capable for a relatively large, heavy and draggy airframe. I have not hesitated to recommend this a/c to anyone who asks. I have bought some 320 Hyp bare cells and connectors to make some extra packs for it. I've done the "box mod" outlined earlier, which has made transport easier.

Can't wait for my b/o Corsair either, since this has been such a satisfactory experience. I've even pre-bought some 160 Hyps for it, as well.
ho50ca is offline Find More Posts by ho50ca
Old Mar 06, 2011, 03:13 PM
Joined Nov 2009
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermvlieger View Post
This little UM inspired me to watch 633 Squadron and I noticed in that movie the nosecones looked different from this model. I think they only had airplanes with the observation domes, so they painted the glass or whatever material that is made of, and put some fake gun muzzles on it. I know it's a bit off topic and random but now you've read this I just know you're going to be looking at those noses more closely next time you watch the movie
"Mosquito squadron" is a better movie, IMHO. It's available on NETFLIX instant viewing and the actor that plays 'Ducky' the doctor from NCIS, plays the main pilot in the movie.
Paribatra is offline Find More Posts by Paribatra
Old Mar 06, 2011, 03:19 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I decided to try an FPV setup on the Mossie. Mounted a keychain cam under the belly @ the CG. AUW was 79.72g with the 15.2g cam.
Joel, you should loose the plastic case on your camera. What I did is strip all the plastic, removed the original battery, and use a Y connector, so can use the power from the 1S cell powering most of my UM planes, saving a bunch of weight. If I need to use it on bigger plane or on a 2S like the Beast, I simply use one of my Vapor 70mah battery to make it standalone.

The (PCB with card) camera without the battery is only 6.6 gr. Even if I have to use a 70mah battery (2.5gr), I'm still just an hair over 9 gr. Saving about 6gr is totally worth it. With that setup, even my 15gr stock Vapor can take some very nice videos.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Mar 06, 2011, 03:23 PM
Clean up! The missus is home
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Dec 2007
595 Posts
Did the box mod too great idea! Flew the mossie on dawn patrol a couple of days ago, flys great. When coming in for landing as I ease back on the power she seems to gain altitude. Has anyone else experinced this?
huntingfield is offline Find More Posts by huntingfield
Old Mar 06, 2011, 03:49 PM
Joined Nov 2004
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paribatra View Post
"Mosquito squadron" is a better movie, IMHO. It's available on NETFLIX instant viewing and the actor that plays 'Ducky' the doctor from NCIS, plays the main pilot in the movie.
You mean the Man from U.N.C.L.E, David Mcallum? oops, I guess I just dated myself there....
Old Mar 06, 2011, 03:55 PM
Joined Nov 2004
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfield View Post
Did the box mod too great idea! Flew the mossie on dawn patrol a couple of days ago, flys great. When coming in for landing as I ease back on the power she seems to gain altitude. Has anyone else experinced this?
You need to trim 'er some more. That ballooning is fairly typical of an undercambered aerofoil. There's also a ton of downthrust built into the motor placement, probably to help counter this and help with the amount of weight aft in pitch conditions. Trim the plane so she descends slightly under full throttle and you have to use a touch of backstick for level flight. Also, land power on and fly it down, definitely. That should help your low speed issues.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 04:06 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ho50ca View Post
You mean the Man from U.N.C.L.E, David Mcallum? oops, I guess I just dated myself there....
Yup you did you old f__t.
Petefoss is offline Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Mar 06, 2011, 04:14 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ho50ca View Post
David?? don't you mean Illya Kuryakin was a great series in it's day, but like so many, i don't think i could sit down and watch it today

have you guys watched this History Channel series on the Mosquito yet? I found it very interesting

cheers chuck

PS err i had my "License to Kill" too, gee they even had promotional stuff for kids back in those days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI7eqTjMmxc
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Last edited by ChuckTseeker; Mar 06, 2011 at 04:24 PM.