HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2011, 03:11 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc View Post
I don't understand this, the Aussie-US dollar is about 1 to 1 and yet the Mini Mossie is $119 in the states and $149 in OZ! Bloody hell Australia is even closer to China than the US so shipping should be even cheaper....Aussies are SO gettin ripped off here!

YET AGAIN........

MODELFLIGHT AUSTRALIA = FAIL!
AGREED!!!

I have made two orders from modelflight and both times they organised a courier and stuffed it.

I will never directly order from them again. I will get my LHS to order it in and then go pick it up from them.

I think we get stung a bit because we have some of the best chicks in the world here, not to mention the beaches.

Not sure if i will get this one as it doesnt look as quick as the umx beast, as well as it using 250mah lipos.

IS IT AS QUICK AS THE UMX BEAST?
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
Last edited by stalyoni; Feb 04, 2011 at 03:13 AM. Reason: cause im dumb and stuffed it up
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2011, 03:26 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalyoni View Post
IS IT AS QUICK AS THE UMX BEAST?
stal your missing the point of this plane the real beast goes FAST! the real Mosquito was a Fighter/Bomber and that is what this micro represents, it's not meant to go as fast as the Beast, i'm sure there will be another Brushless released this season, so people who want all out speed will have something too, this ones for the semi scale buffs

cheers chuck

ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Feb 04, 2011, 04:40 AM
Stanford, CA
Joined Dec 2010
86 Posts
Real Beast has a top speed of 250mph...Real Mosquito Mk VI was powered by two 1460 hp Merlin 21s or two 1635hp Merlin 25s (beautiful sound!!) and could hit 384 mph and was known for outpacing 109's...but I understand what your saying Chuck as I fly my UMX Beast aggressively and am looking for more of a semi-scale fighter bomber flight style with this warbird.
sixspeed is offline Find More Posts by sixspeed
Old Feb 04, 2011, 04:48 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
stal your missing the point of this plane the real beast goes FAST! the real Mosquito was a Fighter/Bomber and that is what this micro represents, it's not meant to go as fast as the Beast, i'm sure there will be another Brushless released this season, so people who want all out speed will have something too, this ones for the semi scale buffs

cheers chuck

I don't have the specs in front of me, but the Mosquito was very fast. I think it could outrun all the prop driven German fighters.

Edit: I don't know if anyone has already posted this but listen carefully to the announcer's opening words.

http://wn.com/DeHavilland_Mosquito__1944_Newsreel

I don't think he was overly optimistic. Even allowing for differences in scale between the Beast and the Mosquito the Mosquito should be noticeably faster.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Last edited by PeteSchug; Feb 04, 2011 at 05:00 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2011, 05:07 AM
Clean up! The missus is home
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Dec 2007
601 Posts
I bought a new car yesterday so I decided to curb my rc spending. Look what happens, E-flite comes with Blade mCP X RTF. Parkzone comes out with this beautifull little Mossie and the Hawker Hurricane. Now who will be the first to put retracts in the Mossie? A lighting system for those calm summer evening flights would look sweet! Looks like I will have to see about some overtime. You know what would be really nice an Ultra micro Hawker hurricane! No only kidding, please stop making all of these cool planes/helis.
huntingfield is offline Find More Posts by huntingfield
Last edited by huntingfield; Feb 04, 2011 at 05:19 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2011, 05:19 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post

cheers chuck

yeah i see what you mean. I have a mini swift here and from what i can tell it should be faster then the umx beast. The rx i have for the mini swift the elev chan doesnt work on it. So im waiting for more to come in the mail.

Stalyoni runs over to his mini swift and pats it while mumbling "my precious"

I like fast areobatic planes myself. I had the hobbyking yak 54 but have a look what happened to it chuck. I know you will get a giggle out of this.

yak 54 crash (0 min 50 sec)

crashed it like 3 times and fixed it up and sold it. The ailerions and the expo i just couldn't get right and it kept tip stalling on me.
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
Old Feb 04, 2011, 05:42 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
I don't have the specs in front of me, but the Mosquito was very fast. I think it could outrun all the prop driven German fighters.

Edit: I don't know if anyone has already posted this but listen carefully to the announcer's opening words.

http://wn.com/DeHavilland_Mosquito__1944_Newsreel

I don't think he was overly optimistic. Even allowing for differences in scale between the Beast and the Mosquito the Mosquito should be noticeably faster.

Pete
Perhaps fitting 2 Nine Eagles Bravo SX (or P47, more convenient since these are already fitted with a 9T pinion) motors might help with speed, provided the Mossy has the same motors as the other UM birds, so you can use the Nine Eagles motors as a direct replacement.

Let's just hope the motor mounts are strong enough for extra pulling power. It wouldn't be cool to see the wings getting ripped off when going to WOT...
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Feb 04, 2011, 06:19 AM
Surrey, UK
Joined Mar 2003
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lberry.88 View Post
Sorry, what is the theory behind motors only being able to turn one way? Electronically it doesn't matter, nor mechanically.
Electrically - the motors may not have symetrical timing at the commutator.

Mechanically - mots of these small motors use pressed "finger" brushes which can buckle if pushed rather than pulled.

PDR
Peter D Rieden is offline Find More Posts by Peter D Rieden
Old Feb 04, 2011, 06:28 AM
I love HAM
Joined Nov 2005
725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Wondering if there will be some trim available to adjust between both motor not giving the same thrust. Particularly as they are getting older? Or if one motor is a bit more powerful than the other for any reason, the only way to fly straight would be to give a little bit of trim on the rudder?
I may be wrong but with each motor having their own speed controller should they not be turning at the same rpm as long as they receive the same signal?
Schermvlieger is offline Find More Posts by Schermvlieger
Old Feb 04, 2011, 06:29 AM
Surrey, UK
Joined Mar 2003
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt1205 View Post
My question is why do most of these UM's use brushed motors instead of direct-drive BL motors like the UM Beast? Is it more economical to use brushed, geared-down (or up, depending on your perspective) motors at this size or is it a physics thing?

When you get down to very klow power leves (especially on single cell voltages) the extra current consumed by the microcontroller ina brushless ESC offsets the extra efficiency of the motor - in fact most brushlees motor/ESC combos on single cell operation will be less efficient than the equivilent brushed combo.

PDR
Peter D Rieden is offline Find More Posts by Peter D Rieden
Old Feb 04, 2011, 06:50 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermvlieger View Post
I may be wrong but with each motor having their own speed controller should they not be turning at the same rpm as long as they receive the same signal?
Not really... Each motor has a different internal resistance and may take more or less current than the other. As they get older, their internal caracteristics will change, but not at the same time. There's no feedback coming back to the ESC from a brushed motor, so basically both ESCs (or in fact, it could even be one single ESC driving two motors if they would have designed it that way) has no idea which one need more current (larger pulses?) than the other. In fact, it could also simply be one motor with a very thight winding, and one with a loose winding. You apply the same voltage to both and they won't spin at the same speed even if they are brand new. Add to this solder quality, wire lenght, etc and two brand new motors will hardly give you the same speed for the same applied voltage. By using two ESCs, they could also be minor variations in the FETs they have used to control the motors. Keep in mind, that's truly worst case. In production, all those small differences usually end-up cancelling each other. I've never flown a bi-motor, so basically, I was just curious to see if there was some people who have flown some brushed bi-motors and had problems with both motors going different speed, and if so, if there was a way to trim them. Hopefully, it's most likely not needed!

With a brushless motor, there's a way to get some feedback from the motor (back-EMF), so technically, yes, the ESC knows what speed the motor is running at.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 04, 2011, 06:57 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Don View Post
Here's a question for the more experienced flyers - Will the Mosquito be a decent gym flyer?

Our indoor site is a basketball court in the community center. I have no problems flying circuits with my Cub, my Champ, or even my 'Spektrumized' Albatros now that I have a throttle/elevator mix programmed, but I'm thinking the Mosquito might be too much for that space.
I agree with UGN.... You seem to need at least the same space as the Mustang, and the Mustang need a lot of space. One single basketball court is most likely not enough, unless all you want to do is fly it in very thight circles, and try the odd rolls in the long stretch. In that video, the loop looked MUCH bigger than what a Mustang can do (could be just because they wanted to keep it scale looking...), and in some gym, even looping a Mustang is a bit thight (you need all the space you can get between the ceiling and the floor).
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 04, 2011, 08:01 AM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,298 Posts
Chuck...now that PZ are producing multi-engined micro sized planes....any chance of a 4 engined micro in the works? While I would love a Lancaster to go along with the Mossie and the new large sized Hurricane, I would imagin a B17 would be a huge favorite States side.
Cheers Mike
Michael Richards is offline Find More Posts by Michael Richards
Old Feb 04, 2011, 09:21 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
B17 would be awesome
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Feb 04, 2011, 09:23 AM
Quads Helis Planes Cars
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Aug 2009
421 Posts
I have all the UMs that they ever came out with and will get these as well.
The only disappointment was the micro Cessna with it's brown out issues.

It really cracks me up how everybody gets excited when a new release is announced and then a month after they have it all the negative features are talked about taking away all the excitement.

Maybe one day one will be made that is flawless...not likely though.
Nerm is offline Find More Posts by Nerm