HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by mr.incredible, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 02, 2011, 09:58 PM
An ordinary sort of incredible
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2004
930 Posts
Discussion
New Project: MultiWii Tricopter

Here is my new project...

I stumbled across signguy's Build a Tricopter Thread. I immediately fell in love with the simplicity, stability and inexpensive price tag. I knew right away this would be my next project. Money is still tight but I can scratch together some money here and there and get this baby flying. Here is a Sketchup rendering of my frame. I actually have a lot of it built. I'm still waiting on some parts to finish the really long shipping from China.
mr.incredible is online now Find More Posts by mr.incredible
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:31 AM
Joined Dec 2004
930 Posts
The Struts

I started this about a year ago. I hope I don't forget any steps...

I made an insert-able mold out of some scrap lumber. I started with 3/8th x 1-1/2 inches about 36 inches long. I rounded the edges over with 1/4 round router bit. (sanding would work too) I tapered the last approx 6 inches down to less than 1 inch wide to fit the inside of the 1" PVC.

I used 1" schedule 40 PVC cut to 20 inch lengths. I heated my oven to 200deg. Melting point of PVC is 208deg (if i remember correctly) I placed the section of PVC into the oven for about 5 min. Just to make sure everything is evenly heated.

Using gloves, (it's not terribly hot with gloves) I grabbed the PVC and slid it onto the mold. I laid it on a flat surface. I then took a clean 1X4 and pressed on the warm PVC for about a min. I pulled the mold out and gently set it aside to finish cooling. If you let it completely cool with the mold inserted, you probably will not be able to get the mold out. (Just heat it again to get it out. Experience ) This will give a nice flattened oval shape.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:43 PM
Joined Dec 2004
930 Posts
Finished views

I actually scrapped this one a while back...

This was my first attempt at a tricopter. I didn't have a lot of money so I didn't get to order my parts. All the sitting around and waiting led me to a lot of visualizing my build. It came out exactly as I had planned, but... Let's just say it was a lot of lessons in what not to do.

It flies but really sluggish. I could probably go with bigger motors and props but that would reduce my flight time.