HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Mick Molloy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 08:03 AM
Joined Mar 2011
56 Posts
S&R challenge dates

Hi Mick,

Can you confirm that the open S&R challenge is indeed on this year? It was previously announced that it wasn't on till next year, but the new 2011 site lists it as being on 1st to 4th October 2011. Is that a typo, or is it really on this year?

hmm, I suspect its a typo, as the detailed rules list the date as 1-4 Oct 2012, although the registration closes in July 2011, and the first deliverable is 27 July 2011.

Maybe you could fix the website to avoid confusion?

Cheers, Tridge
tridge is offline Find More Posts by tridge
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2011, 08:16 AM
Outta Sight
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Jul 2008
929 Posts
Thats a typo.
There's a couple of other minor errors in the S&R rules document as well.
I'm sure they will be cleared up in future versions
RolandS888 is offline Find More Posts by RolandS888
Last edited by RolandS888; Apr 30, 2011 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Added "S&R" as apparently there are other events as well....go figure
Old Apr 30, 2011, 08:35 AM
Joined Mar 2011
56 Posts
another clarification - NMEA

Hi Mick,

Section 5.15 says "either ..... and". Can you clarify if both situational awareness methods are needed? We will probably have both anyway, but it would be good to know if both are required in the rules.
For the NMEA serial link, what type of serial connector do you want, and what baud rate? Would a reconstructed NMEA stream from another GPS format transmitted to the GCS be OK? We will probably be transmitting GPS from our plane to the ground station using MAVLink, which contains all the information needed to construct a NMEA stream, but we would need to construct that stream on the ground, rather than having it come directly from the plane.

Cheers, Tridge

PS: We did our first flight test with full image capture, onboard computer and automated search pattern today. I'm glad the rules didn't change too much!
PPS: Thanks for all the effort that goes into running this challenge!
Old Apr 30, 2011, 08:57 AM
Outta Sight
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Jul 2008
929 Posts
Interesting.....official acknowledgment that the "Kingaroy Triangle" actually exists.
RolandS888 is offline Find More Posts by RolandS888
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:27 AM
Joined Jan 2011
214 Posts
In regards to:
"The airspace within the mission boundary will be specially allocated by CASA for the event and teams must not fly below 200ft (excluding takeoff and landing at the airport)."

Are we allowed to go below 200ft to drop the package off if our craft supports VTOL maneuveures?

Also can we submit and then resubmit Deliverable 1 if it gets rejected for whatever reason? (Provided we change it to meet the problems outlined in the rejection)
Narwhal is offline Find More Posts by Narwhal
Old May 01, 2011, 06:04 PM
Joined Mar 2011
56 Posts
open development in OBC teams?

I'm curious what other teams are planning with regard to openly discussing their design in the lead up to the 2012 S&R challenge. Out team (CanberraUAV) took a decision early on to be totally open. So all of our code is up for anyone to see, and our discussions are all publicly available. Our website is still being put together so right now it is not always easy to find everything we're doing, but that will improve as Steve gets used to managing the Drupal website.
I've noticed that some teams have really nice development blogs (the rescue robotics and project andromeda ones are excellent!), and I'm hoping other teams might do the same.
There is an interesting overlap between this openness and the new "statement of originality" provision in the 2011/2012 rules. Our team takes the attitude that it is fine for other teams to get ideas from us, as long as they acknowledge the ideas in their entry. We will do the same for ideas we get from other teams. That is essentially what the new 6.2.1 rules are saying I think.
The ultimate goal of the outback challenge is to advance the state of the art in amateur UAV development, especially for rescue tasks. I think that goal is best served by the teams being as open as possible.
For our own team, while our website is still being developed here are some links to what we are up to:
Old May 02, 2011, 07:54 AM
Sydney
Joined Jan 2010
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tridge View Post
I'm curious what other teams are planning with regard to openly discussing their design in the lead up to the 2012 S&R challenge. Out team (CanberraUAV) took a decision early on to be totally open. So all of our code is up for anyone to see, and our discussions are all publicly available. Our website is still being put together so right now it is not always easy to find everything we're doing, but that will improve as Steve gets used to managing the Drupal website.
I've noticed that some teams have really nice development blogs (the rescue robotics and project andromeda ones are excellent!), and I'm hoping other teams might do the same.
There is an interesting overlap between this openness and the new "statement of originality" provision in the 2011/2012 rules. Our team takes the attitude that it is fine for other teams to get ideas from us, as long as they acknowledge the ideas in their entry. We will do the same for ideas we get from other teams. That is essentially what the new 6.2.1 rules are saying I think.
The ultimate goal of the outback challenge is to advance the state of the art in amateur UAV development, especially for rescue tasks. I think that goal is best served by the teams being as open as possible.
For our own team, while our website is still being developed here are some links to what we are up to:
Cheers Andrew, I think it is very much in the spirit of the competition to share experiences around and have a good time making things work rather than re-inventing the wheel.

-Adam
Adam.A is offline Find More Posts by Adam.A
Old May 02, 2011, 08:42 AM
OpenUAS
Amsterdam
Joined May 2009
68 Posts
Well how much open'ness do you want ?

http://paparazzi.enac.fr/

However for the airframe and other challenge rationales, IMHO the discussion is better left for after the event. This way we will not all copycat eachother and some more interesting ideas and real solutions will surface.
openuas is offline Find More Posts by openuas
Old May 02, 2011, 09:16 PM
Joined Feb 2010
43 Posts
You gotta love section 3.1.

Very reminiscent off.........

Its the vibe of the thing... (4 min 12 sec)
Dr Strangelove is offline Find More Posts by Dr Strangelove
Old May 03, 2011, 12:28 AM
MINE!
Australia, VIC, Point Cook
Joined Jul 2003
3,186 Posts
Thanks for the feed back guys...I will get some answers to your questions in the next couple of days...

Mick
Mick Molloy is offline Find More Posts by Mick Molloy
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2011, 07:46 AM
Mueller College
Queensland, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
62 Posts
Clarification of Failsafe RX

Hi Mick
While you are checking those other things out, can you also look into the failsafe receiver. Page 13 of the Airborne Delivery rules says 'failsafe values' (plural) and page 14 says 'servo positions' (plural again) but then it refers to only one item which is the throttle - ie: 'to simply close the throttle'. Traditionally in this competition, failsafe was on all channels but this sounds more like what Spektrum called 'Smartsafe' which is throttle off and all other channels last good signal.

Ta
anthonyATteamMUROC is offline Find More Posts by anthonyATteamMUROC
Old May 06, 2011, 05:28 AM
Joined Dec 2008
25 Posts
With my DX7 transmitter and AR7000 receiver there are two different failsafes, [1] and [2].
With my DX7 transmitter and AR500 receiver I get failsafe [1] only.
I discovered this by reading a friend’s JR manual, so different radios from the spectrum/JR stable seem to have different arrangements.
[1] is achieved by removing the binding plug from the receiver after the transmitter is turned on. The motor goes to the setting as per transmitter on binding, other surfaces as they were before the failure.
[2] is achieved by removing the binding plug before the transmitter is turned on.
All settings go to as they were set on the transmitter during binding.

So, to satisfy the rules requirements, with some radios you can use the radio failsafe settings. With others you will have to build hardware to accomplish this.

Jack.
wanabigaplane is offline Find More Posts by wanabigaplane
Old May 06, 2011, 01:27 PM
USA, ND, Grand Forks
Joined Jun 2010
18 Posts
Must say, I like the site's photo...
WS_UASE is offline Find More Posts by WS_UASE
Old May 08, 2011, 07:17 AM
Sydney
Joined Jan 2010
85 Posts
How is everybody development going? I got a bit of a chance to do some work this weekend check it out here: http://www.rescuerobotics.com.au/ip-...oftware-update
Adam.A is offline Find More Posts by Adam.A
Old May 08, 2011, 08:48 PM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam.A View Post
How is everybody development going? I got a bit of a chance to do some work this weekend check it out here: http://www.rescuerobotics.com.au/ip-...oftware-update
Lookin good
I went out on the weekend to test out my block camera, need way more practice using it tho!!

FH-10Z Zoom camera test onboard UAV (1 min 42 sec)

Need one of these... PM me for my paypal address if your feeling generous LOL
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Closed Thread