Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Mick Molloy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:25 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2005
327 Posts
Wow, D3 really thinned out the competition (23->9).
Congrats to those who made it through.
nick.sargeant is offline Find More Posts by nick.sargeant
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 03:42 AM
Joined Apr 2003
58 Posts
Team RHINO are out.

We made very good progress with our Outback Challenge UAV but a series of untimely equipment failures and technical issues caused us to fall just short of meeting the D3 requirements. It's disappointing but also a relief to be able to return to a steady development pace instead of rushing to meet a deadline.

We are based in Brisbane and will be attending the event as spectators. We have a large network of RC aeromodeling friends in the Kingaroy area and are happy to help any other teams - drop me a PM if you are interested.

Good luck to the remaining teams!
RHIN0 is offline Find More Posts by RHIN0
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:51 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,778 Posts
Sorry to hear that its been quite the year.
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:29 AM
OpenUAS
Amsterdam
Joined May 2009
68 Posts
Ah, that's a shame Team RHINO. Looking forward meeting your team that is still visiting at Kingaroy, that's the spirit!. And that is is a little close than our regular hangout also helps I bet

Anyhow, I'll hope this Rhino and team will cheer you up a little
Bolt - The Best of Rhino the Hamster (6 min 59 sec)
openuas is offline Find More Posts by openuas
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:54 PM
Joined Mar 2011
56 Posts
flight schedule for S&R challenge?

We have some spectators coming up to Kingaroy who want to see our team (CanberraUAV) fly. I'm trying to work out what days they should turn up for to get a chance to see our team in the main competition flight.
The schedule currently says 1st to 4th October. Is any more of a breakdown of that available? For example, how is that split between the highschool challenge and the S&R challenge? What days would the test flights for S&R team be?
Cheers, Tridge
tridge is offline Find More Posts by tridge
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:41 AM
Joined Mar 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tridge View Post
For example, how is that split between the highschool challenge and the S&R challenge? What days would the test flights for S&R team be?
I had a quick chat to Mark Lewis and apparently the plan at this stage is for the main S&R competition day to be the Tuesday, with the schools comp after that. It could change closer to the time of course.

Cheers, Tridge
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:12 AM
Mueller College
Queensland, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
62 Posts
High School Airborne Delivery Challenge Question

From the AD rules page 14: Final Team Details required (pro-forma to organisers)...Teams must supply...A form will be given to the teams to fill in.

Where do we get these forms from please?

ta
anthony
anthonyATteamMUROC is offline Find More Posts by anthonyATteamMUROC
Old Sep 01, 2012, 06:23 AM
Joined Mar 2011
56 Posts
Walking the Mugin

Here is a video of our intrepid team manager, Stephen Dade, walking our Mugin UAV today:
September 1, 2012 12:41 PM (0 min 28 sec)

Every UAV should be taken out for a walk occasionally, although in this case we were tuning the nosewheel steering gains for auto takeoff.
I'm curious how many of the S&R teams are planning on auto takeoff/landing? Anyone else trying it?
Cheers, Tridge
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:58 AM
Joined Mar 2011
56 Posts
Joe looks like a sheep ...

We did a test flight today with a couple of Joes at a farm near Canberra. We did find the Joes, but also found a lot of things that weren't...
Things that our image recognition algorithm thought might be joe:
  • sheep
  • some big rocks
  • more sheep
  • some yellow farm machinery (looks like a large water pump)
  • a yellow airstrip wind sock
  • more sheep!
  • some reflections off a dam
  • some reflective markers near the runway
  • yet more sheep ....
If Joe puts on a sheep disguise, we'll get him for sure!
In other news, the auto-takeoffs worked, so we still have an airframe to fly in Kingaroy :-)
Cheers, Tridge
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:57 AM
Joined Dec 2008
25 Posts
Event program.

Not having been to previous events, I need to know a bit more about what goes on.

Friends and family in Queensland plan to drop in on the event, and are asking questions. They want to book their accommodation and be there just for the search and rescue flights. What do I tell them?

As members of the public, I wonder what they will see. I had assumed the video feed and NMEA output requested is for driving a large screen display in the public area. Is this so?

My brother was not too concerned – he asked me to give him a phone call when our plane leaves the airport, and he will watch from the field. They are public roads around that field after all. What do I tell him?

It takes some time to assemble our plane and equipment. It would be good to be able to set it all up only once. Do you make an empty hangar available? Does it have power available for maintenance and battery charging?

The more I think about it, the more questions I have.

Any info would be helpful.

Jack.
wanabigaplane is offline Find More Posts by wanabigaplane
Last edited by wanabigaplane; Sep 02, 2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:35 PM
Beating air into submission!
Joined Aug 2011
1,855 Posts
Jack, everyone is searching for you. Where are you mate?
GrahamWilson is offline Find More Posts by GrahamWilson
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:36 AM
Joined Dec 2008
25 Posts
Graham, in my garage working on UAVs. This means no float planes, No flying ultralights, No scuba diving, No fishing, No bungee jumping, No sex, until this Outback Challenge is over.
wanabigaplane is offline Find More Posts by wanabigaplane
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:05 AM
Joined Dec 2010
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabigaplane View Post
Graham, in my garage working on UAVs. This means no float planes, No flying ultralights, No scuba diving, No fishing, No bungee jumping, No sex, until this Outback Challenge is over.
That's similar to our experiences... but I think you took it too far with that last one!
davidbuzz is offline Find More Posts by davidbuzz
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:23 AM
MINE!
Australia, VIC, Point Cook
Joined Jul 2003
3,186 Posts
I'll attempt to answer some questions Jack, (hopefully rcgroups doesn't ping me for logging in Mick's account and treating it as a second....they log ip's, which is a stupid way to do things...anyway).

Q:From the AD rules page 14: Final Team Details required (pro-forma to organisers)...Teams must supply...A form will be given to the teams to fill in.

Where do we get these forms from please?

A: brought it to the tech committee's notice, should be dealt with via email to the teams soon.

Q :Friends and family in Queensland plan to drop in on the event, and are asking questions. They want to book their accommodation and be there just for the search and rescue flights. What do I tell them?

A: Monday is scrutineering for S&R, tuesday is mission S&R, highschool teams also get scrut'd on tuesday, with their competition day on wednesday. (this is all going on previous years time tables, as weather or other influences may change this schedule). I've always told people if they want to attend, tuesday and/or wednesday is the best day(s) to do so.

Note that the S&R side of the competition is conducted a fair ways down the airfield, and is not right in front of the public area like the highschool comp, where all the tents etc are.

Accommodation at this late stage may be getting scarce. Try the big 4 caravan park for some cabins, or even some of the local pubs have accommodation at reasonable rates.

Q: As members of the public, I wonder what they will see. I had assumed the video feed and NMEA output requested is for driving a large screen display in the public area. Is this so?

A: The airport is not closed, so there is local operators operating as well. In respects to the NMEA feed, we're hoping to do something to that effect, however the public nmea feed will be turned off, once the plane enters the mission search area. We are working on some things in respect to this, we'll announce more at the comp.

Q: My brother was not too concerned – he asked me to give him a phone call when our plane leaves the airport, and he will watch from the field. They are public roads around that field after all. What do I tell him?

A: I'm not really inclined to answer this one, as most of the mission area is over land which is not really viewable by public roads. I wouldn't encourage anyone to try and get near the mission area either, it may harm people chances of winning some $$. I'd have to check up on mobile phone usage for airside on the airfield, but this can be dealt with at team briefings which are held daily.

Q: It takes some time to assemble our plane and equipment. It would be good to be able to set it all up only once. Do you make an empty hangar available? Does it have power available for maintenance and battery charging?

A: There are spots available in large marquis hired for the event. 240v power is available to each team's spot. There is no charging of any batteries allowed in the marquis, however there is a dedicated charging tent which is separate to the other tents for charging. You will have a table and a couple of chairs (going from previous years), and if you so desire, you can leave your equipment onsite overnight as their is onsite security guards. However I personally would recommend that you take full responsibility for your equipment and pack it up, watch over it etc as required.

Q: The more I think about it, the more questions I have.

A: ask away, am more than happy to answer when I can.

Look forward to seeing you all there in a few weeks.

Cheers

Mark
Mick Molloy is offline Find More Posts by Mick Molloy
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:13 PM
Adelaide, SA
Joined Sep 2009
48 Posts
It is perhaps getting rather late in the day to be making wholesale changes to flight termination, but if anyone is interested Micropilot support has just been added to the Millswood Failsafe board. It can now be configured to interpret Micropilot GCS (or UAV) telemetry data as a heartbeat. It is a free firmware update. Contact me (andrew@millswoodeng.com.au) for details.
Cheers,
Andrew.
Andrew Dunlop is offline Find More Posts by Andrew Dunlop
Closed Thread