HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Mick Molloy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:39 PM
Joined Mar 2011
56 Posts
video of CanberraUAV OBC presentation at LCA2012

If anyone would like to see an update on what we're doing in CanberraUAV here is a video of a presentation I gave at LCA2012 in Ballarat on Friday

Rescuing Joe - Andrew Tridgell (52 min 7 sec)

The presentation was oriented towards the Linux crowd, but it also gives a reasonable overview of what we are up to with our OBC entry.
tridge is offline Find More Posts by tridge
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:45 PM
Registered Crasher
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,124 Posts
Nice Job Tridge!
Bilox is offline Find More Posts by Bilox
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:19 PM
Registered Crasher
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,124 Posts
Melbourne UAV down but not out!

Hi Guys,

We were just finishing an awesome morning of flying when it happened...
The UAV was in Manual Mode while coming into land and all of a sudden there was a RC glitch/lockout which caused the Devilray to nose dive!
It was only about 25 meters up when it happened.
Just before it hit the ground I heard the motor rev up, the RC failsafe was set to Autonomous Mode so the Attopilot tried it's hardest to save itself but when your going straight down with only 10M to the ground there was nothing that could be done!
After talking to others that use the site we have found out that we are not the only ones to have a lock out there?
I'm surprised how well the Devilray help up to the crash! We have plans to put it back together later on, just need a few bits. (Mostly glue and a but of CF)

Since the crash all of our electronics have tested to be fine but unfortunately we do not have enough time to order a new Devilray airframe and be able to stay in the Competition, the D2 is due in only 44 days. (I really wish we did!!)
So the hunt is on for a new airframe to get us by that we can install our Atto into! It's going to be compromise but at least we can still compete.

We were using Futaba 36Mhz for our RC link at the time. (Using 2.4 for other things)

I think it's very important to add that in the last 2 years that we have been using the Attopilot and the Devilray airframe they have performed flawlessly!!
I wish every thing in life was this good.
And I would highly recommend the Devilray and Attopilot to anyone! (Just use reliable RC gear with it!)

Cheers,

Scott - Melbourne UAV
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:28 PM
Outta Sight
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Jul 2008
929 Posts
Ouch, Scott that sucks.
I know the feeling all too well.

Theres still time. Cram all the electronics into a Boomerang 60 or something else cheap and nasty (and quick), and get back in the air.

I know its tight, but at least you still have 44 days.
Whats the plan from here? Dont they have Drays on the shelf?

I know I'm a long way away now, but if there's anything I can do to help (like if you find a replacement airfame in W.A. or something) just let me know, I'll do what I can.
R.
RolandS888 is offline Find More Posts by RolandS888
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:00 AM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,820 Posts
What a shocker Scott, I am sure a plan will be made though. Off to Bunning's for some glue for you.
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:35 AM
Registered Crasher
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,124 Posts
Hey thanks Roland!

We did have a new Devilray on the way but it's still a few months away as they are made to order.
The bad thing is that the flight went it went down, was also the flight we were filming for our D2! So we have pre-flight checks, take off, bottle drop but no landing.
So we will be unable to produce a full D2 video with the Devilray.

The plan now is to find something else suitable for the OBC within the remaining time.
We currently have a few people hunting for an X8 among others. At this stage it's looking promising.
We should be able to get something in the air and film a bottle drop within the 44 days.

The good thing is all of our electronics and systems are almost done so we really only need to re-tune the Attopilot to the new airframe.

Hopefully within a couple of weeks it will be game on again!
Itís a real shame because we reeeeeeally loved the Devilray.

(Still thinking about maybe trying to glue it back together in parallel with the replacements build just in case its OK. It's pretty bad though.)

That's right Gary! Off to bunnings!!!

Cheers

Scott
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:22 AM
Outta Sight
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Jul 2008
929 Posts
Maybe you could edit in the 'landing' from your D2000 video, hopefully no-one will notice the difference.
Melbourne UAV - Deliverable 2000 (1 min 7 sec)
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:15 AM
Joined Apr 2003
58 Posts
Quick question for challenge organisers. Referring to current rules:
  • In Section 4, Table 2 lists the schedule date for Deliverable 2 as "At the latest: 4 April 2012 at 5pm AEST".
  • Table in Section 6.2 details points for Deliverable 2 submission including a scoring component for late submissions of D2 as "MINUS 5 points per day".
  • Section 6 states that each element (applying to deliverables) is a prerequisite before progressing onto the next.
My question: What is the absolute latest that Deliverable 2 can be submitted for a team to still be eligible for a Deliverable 2 "GO" decision (albeit with a points penalty)?
RHIN0 is offline Find More Posts by RHIN0
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:07 AM
My other plane flies itself..
Joined Jul 2011
17 Posts
Hard luck there Scott.

Best of luck finding a replacement airframe - here's hoping the OBC tech committee can extend you guys some wiggle room here, perhaps allowing you to submit the D2 with a substitute airframe and then migrate back to the Devil Ray?
IClaudius is offline Find More Posts by IClaudius
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:48 AM
Registered Crasher
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,124 Posts
Roland,
They might confuse it with our 2009 entry

IClaudius,
I'm pretty sure that the airframe you submit for D2 is the one you have to go with in the comp, hence the video requirements. Cheers!
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:09 AM
Outta Sight
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Jul 2008
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilox View Post
The bad thing is that the flight went it went down, was also the flight we were filming for our D2! So we have pre-flight checks, take off, bottle drop but no landing.
Can I be so morbid as to ask, as you have video of it going in........will you be posting the video so we can all analyse it and theorise over the causes.?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:14 AM
Registered Crasher
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,124 Posts
No video, I had just said to Ian "get ready with the video I'll bring it around again for a nice landing" He was snapping shots on the SLR on the last fly by.
Last edited by Bilox; Feb 20, 2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:18 AM
Outta Sight
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Jul 2008
929 Posts
No worries mate.
R.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:59 AM
My other plane flies itself..
Joined Jul 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilox View Post
IClaudius,
I'm pretty sure that the airframe you submit for D2 is the one you have to go with in the comp, hence the video requirements.
That was my original reading too, but just wondering if it might be worth reaching out to the judges to see if there's any room for discretion regardless. After all, you've got everything bar the landing "in the can" so to speak, a (possibly) repairable airframe with a swap-in replacement on the way, and on a re-read the language around the D2 in 6.2 ("intended") and the D3 in 6.3.1 ("significant changes") makes me wonder if there's some wiggle room in this regard.

Either way, best of luck!
IClaudius is offline Find More Posts by IClaudius
Last edited by IClaudius; Feb 21, 2012 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Fixed quoting
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:45 PM
Registered Crasher
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IClaudius View Post

Either way, best of luck!
Thanks IClaudius,

Good things are happening, looks like we will be filming our D2 Video in a couple of weeks!

Game on!

Cheers,

Scott
Closed Thread