Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Mick Molloy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:16 PM
MINE!
Australia, VIC, Point Cook
Joined Jul 2003
3,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narwhal View Post
I am looking at making some design changes, how much change can I make to my submitted deliverable 1 to be accepted by the judges in deliverable 2?
Narwhal, please detail all design changes and safety case in your D2 document.

Mick
Mick Molloy is offline Find More Posts by Mick Molloy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:49 PM
My other plane flies itself..
Joined Jul 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Molloy View Post
Information on insurance will be released soon.
Hi Mick,

any chance on an update or ETA for this? (It'll soon be in the critical path for my team, and hence we're keen to determine whether to hold out for the OBC organised pool/provider or take this on ourselves.)

Regards,
Claudio
IClaudius is offline Find More Posts by IClaudius
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:00 PM
Joined Mar 2011
56 Posts
altitude reference

Hi Mick,

In designing our search pattern we are planning on having a terrain model to take account of ground altitude changes across the mission area, but we'd just like to confirm that the correct altitude reference from the organisers point of view is the point directly below the plane, and not the airfield. There seems to be about 60m difference between the airfield and the highest point in the search area, so it would make quite a large difference if a fixed ground reference were used.

Can you confirm that the 400ft ceiling is relative to the point directly below the plane?

Cheers, Tridge
CanberraUAV
tridge is offline Find More Posts by tridge
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:35 AM
Adelaide, SA
Joined Sep 2009
48 Posts
Hi all,

The Millswood Engineering Failsafe firmware has been updated (v1.24) to include non-reversible flight termination and a geofence input (performs no actual geofencing function, it's just an input). Please be careful when flying with non-reversible termination enabled - you will be warned of this condition by the red LED coming on solid at power up. Once the first heartbeat is received there is no turning back...

The configuration software has also been updated to allow these new features to be enabled and disabled.

The documentation has also been updated, but is scanty at best. Page 8 of the datasheet gives the new pinouts, and the "notes for competitors" on the website product page describes the new functionality accurately.

Everything is here

Cheers,
Andrew.
Andrew Dunlop is offline Find More Posts by Andrew Dunlop
Old Oct 27, 2011, 06:25 AM
Registered Crasher
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,090 Posts
Thanks Mr Dunlop!
Bilox is online now Find More Posts by Bilox
Old Oct 28, 2011, 09:26 PM
Joined Aug 2011
8 Posts
Dickson College UAV TEDx Talk

Hi there,

A couple of students on the Dickson College UAV team spoke about their experience on the OBC project to an audience of 300+ people at the recent TEDx talk. Here is a link to the recorded video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TEDxTalk.../4/EjytdObJfn4

We hope it will inspire more schools and community partners to get involved in the OBC.

Best regards,

Andrew
DicksonUAV is offline Find More Posts by DicksonUAV
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:51 PM
Joined Mar 2011
56 Posts
avoiding finding an organiser as Joe

Hi Mick,

It occurred to us recently that during the S&R challenge there may be a scrutineer/organiser somewhere near Joe to monitor the drop. For teams doing a human assisted search this wouldn't be a problem, but for teams trying to do a fully automated search there is quite a risk that the software would identify the organiser as Joe.

Can you tell us if there will be an organiser within the search area during the search? If so, would you be able to provide us with a photo of the organiser prior to the event so we can try to teach our search algorithm that this isn't Joe?

Alternatively, if we found the organiser as Joe, could we tell the system that it was a false positive without losing points for automation?

The image below from a test flight we did today is a good example. It found two Joe dummies correctly on the right of the image, but also saw a plane below us as a false positive. Obviously with a plane the fact that it is moving is an easy way to eliminate it, but we suspect an OBC organiser may not be moving as quickly :-)

Cheers, Tridge
Old Oct 29, 2011, 08:08 AM
MINE!
Australia, VIC, Point Cook
Joined Jul 2003
3,184 Posts
Tridge please read paragraph 2.1.1 of the 2011 OBCi rules I think it may answer your question.

Mick
Mick Molloy is offline Find More Posts by Mick Molloy
Old Oct 29, 2011, 03:38 PM
Joined Mar 2011
56 Posts
Hi Mick,

Quote:
Tridge please read paragraph 2.1.1 of the 2011 OBCi rules I think it may answer your question.
I had looked at that pretty carefully, but perhaps I'm just not understanding? The only part that seems to give any indication of the ground reference is the "1500ft AGL". While that is above ground level it left open the possibility that the ground height reference for the competition would be the airport. I checked with a aviation colleague and he confirmed that it is quite common to use the airport height as the ground reference when close to the airport.

We had not been planning on asking for permission to fly at 1500ft, which leaves us with a 400ft ceiling. My concern was that if the organisers were using the airport as a ground height reference then we would be well above that while over the search area if we use a terrain model and the height above the ground directly below the plane.

Without any other information I guess we'll just need to assume that the ground reference is always the point directly below the plane, but if you could confirm that to be the case that would be appreciated.

Cheers, Tridge
Old Oct 29, 2011, 03:49 PM
Joined Mar 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
I now realise you were probably answering my 2nd question, not my first question. Sorry about that.

So I guess the answer to the question about finding an organiser instead of Joe is the "Teams will be allowed three attempts to provide the correct location of Outback Joe". That does affect the count back in the scoring, but I guess a tie isn't all that likely.

Cheers, Tridge
Old Dec 04, 2011, 07:34 PM
Joined Feb 2010
43 Posts
Insurance

Mick,

Any movement on Insurance?

DrS
Dr Strangelove is offline Find More Posts by Dr Strangelove
Old Dec 09, 2011, 11:15 AM
OpenUAS
Amsterdam
Joined May 2009
68 Posts
@tridge, AGL is well defined see e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Above_ground_level you could op to use the freely available SRTM http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2_1/SRTM3/ data if you want to really precise your rescue flight.
openuas is offline Find More Posts by openuas
Old Dec 09, 2011, 02:36 PM
Joined Mar 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by openuas View Post
@tridge, AGL is well defined see e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Above_ground_level you could op to use the freely available SRTM http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2_1/SRTM3/ data if you want to really precise your rescue flight.
yes, I realise what AGL means, the question arose because the competition rules don't state the 200ft and 400ft levels as being AGL. We think they probably are, but when we were discussing our plans within our team we realised the competition organisers may be monitoring altitude compliance during the flights using the GPS data stream that has been requested.

The question then is whether the organisers are using AGL for that monitoring (which would imply that the organisers would be using a terrain model), or whether they would use the airport height as a reference.

We will be running a terrain model on our aircraft regardless, as we have to have it in order to get the trigonometry right for finding Joes position from a pixel position in an image when the plane is not level.

Anyway, it was really a minor clarification we were requesting, and we'll just assume that all altitudes really are AGL.

Cheers, Tridge
Old Dec 10, 2011, 03:19 AM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,775 Posts
All Altitudes are above sea level in aviation actually, height is above the hard stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altitude

The question really is are they expecting to use QFE or QNH for reference. I would expect its QFE as that's what the aircraft sees when sat at the field and the altimeter says zero!

Those are the only two measurements that would keep you separated from manned aircraft that are using those datums.

GPS altitude is probably not good enough.

But I am sure one of the organisers will chime in.
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Dec 18, 2011, 04:06 PM
Peter Yu
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2011
6 Posts
Does anyone else have issues downloading the KMZ files off of the OBC website?

When I try to download the file, it brings me to a server error page. I've notified the organizers via their feedback page a while back but I haven't gotten any feedback.
peteryu is offline Find More Posts by peteryu
Last edited by peteryu; Dec 18, 2011 at 04:21 PM.
Closed Thread