HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Mick Molloy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 08, 2011, 05:17 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2002
426 Posts
I think the written word is pretty clear - overrides any onboard system. Isnt' an RC control an onboard system? it's definitely not a system that sits on the ground....
Pants is offline Find More Posts by Pants
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2011, 07:03 PM
Joined Mar 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants View Post
I think the written word is pretty clear - overrides any onboard system. Isnt' an RC control an onboard system? it's definitely not a system that sits on the ground....
well, if people are using the failsafe settings in their receiver to do the flight termination (which I think is valid), then the receiver in that case is part of the flight termination system, so it wouldn't fall into "other onboard system" in that case, as its part of the FTS. So I don't think it is obvious if RC override is allowed.

I think the rules try to make things as safe as possible, and I think allowing RC override in visual range is safer for the reasons I've given, but the organisers may have good reason for not allowing that, and probably have thought about the safety aspects of this a lot more than I have. Thus the question :-)
tridge is offline Find More Posts by tridge
Old Jun 09, 2011, 12:43 AM
Joined May 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tridge View Post
... but the organisers may have good reason for not allowing that, and probably have thought about the safety aspects of this a lot more than I have. Thus the question :-)
Maybe, but don't make that an assumption, they are people in a committee. Both these systems have been known to be fallible, they may need an off-board fail-safe.
uav2000 is offline Find More Posts by uav2000
Old Jun 15, 2011, 03:43 AM
Joined Feb 2010
43 Posts
Design questions are for teams to figure out, hence the 'challenge'. I can not comment on anything that will influence a design or benefit one team over another.

Sorry, just thought I'd throw it in :{

Dr S
Dr Strangelove is offline Find More Posts by Dr Strangelove
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:07 PM
Rogue User
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2008
392 Posts
Deliverable 1

Hi guys,

I was wondering if any of the previous entrants would be willing to share a previous report used for deliverable 1, just so that my team and others can get a feel for the content and detail needed.

Thanks.
Mr Krinkle is offline Find More Posts by Mr Krinkle
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:26 PM
Registered Crasher
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,152 Posts
The rules document states what is required?
Bilox is offline Find More Posts by Bilox
Old Jun 28, 2011, 08:51 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
255 Posts
Hi guys,

I apologize for posting this here but I thought that it would be more of use to you guys than in another for sale post.

IT'S NOW SOLD!
stikmunkeyrc is offline Find More Posts by stikmunkeyrc
Last edited by stikmunkeyrc; Jul 04, 2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 07:47 PM
Joined Mar 2011
56 Posts
unopened container?

The rules specify that the drink dropped for the S&R challenge must be an "unopened container". Does that just mean it isn't opened when it lands (ie. it hasn't split open due to impact with the ground), or does it really mean it must be a store bought bottle that has never been opened by the team?

We've done our drop tests so far with a metal water bottle so it would have a bit more strength. We also use a small chute, but we'd still prefer a strong bottle. Maybe some entrants from previous years (or the organisers!) could comment on whether that was allowed?

Cheers, Tridge
canberrauav.com
Old Jul 01, 2011, 08:23 PM
Joined Mar 2010
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stikmunkeyrc View Post
Hi guys,

I apologize for posting this here but I thought that it would be more of use to you guys than in another for sale post.

Team Javelin is not going to the UAVOBC this year or the foreseeable future.
Do you mind if I ask why you have decided to drop out of the competition?
And what kind of price range are we looking at for this magnificent bird?
Hoechstetter is offline Find More Posts by Hoechstetter
Old Jul 02, 2011, 03:27 AM
Joined Jan 2011
214 Posts
How are other teams doing the drop mechanism? I was thinking of a compartment which simply opens up underneath allowing a foam box to fall that contains a plastic water bottle and then a bladder inside the plastic water bottle.
Narwhal is offline Find More Posts by Narwhal
Old Jul 02, 2011, 10:33 AM
Joined Dec 2008
25 Posts
The rules require an unopened container.
We tried a bush walker's metal container, but we could not find it again.
We tried another metal container with a 200mm chute - it was badly damaged.
We tried the cover (delete metal frame) of a child's umbrella for a chute - It drifted a bit far.
We considered padding, but found it added too much to the bulk.
We will continue to experiment.
wanabigaplane is offline Find More Posts by wanabigaplane
Old Jul 02, 2011, 05:46 PM
Joined Mar 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narwhal View Post
How are other teams doing the drop mechanism? I was thinking of a compartment which simply opens up underneath allowing a foam box to fall that contains a plastic water bottle and then a bladder inside the plastic water bottle.
You can see some photos of the various mechanisms we've tried on our site, along with videos of the results:

http://photos.tridgell.net/v/CanberraUAV/

As Jack said, we're still experimenting :-)
Old Jul 04, 2011, 09:02 AM
Joined Jan 2011
214 Posts
I have finished candidate for my deliverable 1, I am releasing it here so other people may have some bearing on what to do (although I must point out that this is my first time, but I always wanted something to reference from so hopefully this helps some people) and so people might read it and correct on any areas I have got blatantly wrong or left out.

http://www.phyction.com/outbackchall...201%202011.pdf
Old Jul 04, 2011, 06:18 PM
Joined Mar 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narwhal View Post
I have finished candidate for my deliverable 1
Nice work! I love the fact that you cover the possibility of a flash flood - that is thorough and topical :-)

We're still working on ours, although if you poke around on our mailing list archives you can see some drafts.

The approach we took in drafting is to go through the rules doc paragraph by paragraph, and ensure that every paragraph that is marked as needed for deliverable 1, or where it is ambiguous if it is needed, is covered. This is also our first time in the competition, so we don't really know if we've taken the right approach.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your airship fly!

Cheers, Tridge
Old Jul 06, 2011, 02:47 AM
Joined Jan 2011
214 Posts
Thanks Tridge, I'll keep a lookout for your report on Google Docs.

Going to submit my report this Sunday once I find out how to write equations so they don't appear blurry, hopefully all goes well.

To the previous contestants, how long does it usually take to get a go/no-go decision? Will I be waiting days? Weeks? Months?
Closed Thread