HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Mick Molloy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:58 PM
Registered Crasher
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,093 Posts
Yeah! The extra weight of the anchor overboard will make it dive real fast!
Bilox is offline Find More Posts by Bilox
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2011, 11:59 PM
MINE!
Australia, VIC, Point Cook
Joined Jul 2003
3,186 Posts
Narwhal,

The short answer to your question is, yes. Model the data as best you can, and make sure your D2 has the tested, actual data.

I must ask, is the gas flammable?

It's not everyday someone attempts a lighter than air vehicle, am looking forward to seeing it.

Cheers

Mark
Mick Molloy is offline Find More Posts by Mick Molloy
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2011, 12:38 AM
Joined Jan 2011
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Molloy View Post
Narwhal,

The short answer to your question is, yes. Model the data as best you can, and make sure your D2 has the tested, actual data.

I must ask, is the gas flammable?

It's not everyday someone attempts a lighter than air vehicle, am looking forward to seeing it.

Cheers

Mark
Thanks for your reply Mark. The gas is an interesting question, I originally designed the airship to use Hydrogen however for the purposes of the outback challenge Helium will be fine to use. This is one of the reasons I wanted to know if I could resubmit Deliverable 1 if it got rejected, I would love to use Hydrogen for a variety of reasons however I will accept that Helium is safer and more than adequate for this mission.
Narwhal is offline Find More Posts by Narwhal
Old May 21, 2011, 10:22 PM
Joined May 2011
1 Posts
Hi everyone,
A couple of questions from us at Monash UAS:

How much detail do we need to provide in D1 about the overall design? Do we need complete specs of the aircraft or will a basic layout suffice?
We are planning to use one airframe as a testbed in the next few months, while our final airframe is still being designed and constructed (hopefully by November). Does this affect our deliverables? Do we just complete the deliverables using our proposed final airframe design?
Condi is offline Find More Posts by Condi
Old May 22, 2011, 07:48 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2009
373 Posts
2.4ghz video is no longer allowed right? what are you guys using instead?
AeroM'ck'y is offline Find More Posts by AeroM'ck'y
Old May 22, 2011, 09:58 PM
Joined Nov 2009
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroM'ck'y View Post
2.4ghz video is no longer allowed right? what are you guys using instead?
2.4ghz analog you mean? I would think that a digital camera operating over a digital connection (say Wifi bridge) would still be fine, as long as it is within the transmission power limits dictated by the ACMA. Or an analog camera with an onboard ADC/DSP unit operating over a digital connection would work, but would be more expensive and complex.

I'm quite fond of the FH-10z camera, but I think sampling, encoding and compressing the feed in real time would become pretty demanding for most microcontrollers.
butterS_ is offline Find More Posts by butterS_
Old May 23, 2011, 03:02 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2009
373 Posts
thanks butterS, Yes I meant analogue just audio and video transmission (without the complexity of encoding video to streaming codecs and such) I want to know what people have already used/allowed to use or have successfully or intend to use in the comp.

thanks
AeroM'ck'y is offline Find More Posts by AeroM'ck'y
Old May 23, 2011, 04:48 AM
Outta Sight
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Jul 2008
928 Posts
C'mon Aero, thats part of the challenge and the learning curve.
Jump on the ACMA website and have a read, all the answers are there.
RolandS888 is offline Find More Posts by RolandS888
Old May 24, 2011, 08:09 AM
MINE!
Joined Jul 2003
3,186 Posts
Quote:
The gas is an interesting question, I originally designed the airship to use Hydrogen however for the purposes of the outback challenge Helium will be fine to use. This is one of the reasons I wanted to know if I could resubmit Deliverable 1 if it got rejected, I would love to use Hydrogen for a variety of reasons however I will accept that Helium is safer and more than adequate for this mission.
The ultimate design is up to you, I can't comment on that. However, I will add that all teams need to think about fire safety, fire planning, and account for various scenarios. Whilst we have the local fire brigade on standby, and they are aware of the event and possible hazards and scenarios, it's also a teams responsibility to ensure fire safety as well.

Quote:
How much detail do we need to provide in D1 about the overall design? Do we need complete specs of the aircraft or will a basic layout suffice?
We are planning to use one airframe as a testbed in the next few months, while our final airframe is still being designed and constructed (hopefully by November). Does this affect our deliverables? Do we just complete the deliverables using our proposed final airframe design?
The details are up to you. I can't outline other than what is in the rules. Refer to section 6.1 for deliverable 1.

In respects to the platform - The platform of interest is the platform you intend to use for the mission at the competition.

Cheers

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2011, 12:26 AM
Joined Nov 2009
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroM'ck'y View Post
thanks butterS, Yes I meant analogue just audio and video transmission (without the complexity of encoding video to streaming codecs and such) I want to know what people have already used/allowed to use or have successfully or intend to use in the comp.

thanks
I think you should look at this document. It outlines the spectrum allowed to be used by anyone without needing a license, with the maximum transmission EIRP and the use (with some limitations applied).

You could attempt to apply for an amateur radio operator license, which may allow you to transmit at higher EIRPs on those frequencies. However, when we were dealing with ACMA last year it was a painful and drawn out process, so I would recommend applying ASAP.

Edit: Also this thread looks like it may help you a lot: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1219610&page=2
Edit2: after reading most of that thread... maybe not.
butterS_ is offline Find More Posts by butterS_
Last edited by butterS_; May 25, 2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old May 25, 2011, 08:32 AM
Joined Jan 2011
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Molloy View Post
The ultimate design is up to you, I can't comment on that. However, I will add that all teams need to think about fire safety, fire planning, and account for various scenarios. Whilst we have the local fire brigade on standby, and they are aware of the event and possible hazards and scenarios, it's also a teams responsibility to ensure fire safety as well.
Can a team consist of 1 person?
Narwhal is offline Find More Posts by Narwhal
Old May 29, 2011, 05:46 AM
MINE!
Joined Jul 2003
3,186 Posts
Yes, a team can consist of 1 person.

I'm also sure an experienced spotter will be provided for teams if they do not have a spotter for their flights also.

cheers

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2011, 09:20 PM
Joined Feb 2010
43 Posts
"The general principal is that when teams are being assessed, such as during static scrutineering flight scrutineering and competition flights all transmitting equipment must be switched off."

Other than thsi reference, there appears to be no other explanation of "static scrutineering". We would imagine it to be some kind of visual inspection to determine that the vehicle has been built and wired in a reliable fashion.

Is there any chance that we could have some examples of what previous scrutineers found to be good practice and what they found to be bad practice? Sometimes, these things can be quite subjective.

Dr S
Dr Strangelove is offline Find More Posts by Dr Strangelove
Old May 30, 2011, 03:24 AM
MINE!
Joined Jul 2003
3,186 Posts
Quote:
"The general principal is that when teams are being assessed, such as during static scrutineering flight scrutineering and competition flights all transmitting equipment must be switched off."

Other than thsi reference, there appears to be no other explanation of "static scrutineering". We would imagine it to be some kind of visual inspection to determine that the vehicle has been built and wired in a reliable fashion.

Is there any chance that we could have some examples of what previous scrutineers found to be good practice and what they found to be bad practice? Sometimes, these things can be quite subjective.

Dr S
For the past 3 years, teams that have made it through Deliverable 2, get sent a comprehensive scrutineering check sheets.

It outlines everything to be covered in scrutineering from static, through to flight checks, what to expect etc. The information sheets given to teams are exactly the same as the scrutineers use on the day of competition etc. Additional updates are given at the morning & afternoon briefings each day of the competition.

Cheers

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2011, 04:49 PM
Joined Feb 2010
43 Posts
Is there any chance you could post a copy of one of these sheets? Again, can we have examples of what could be considered "good" practice? Patricularly in terms of Connectors, shielding, mounting (batteries / electronics).

Would it be fair to say that anything that has been considered normal RC practice is acceptable?

DrS
Dr Strangelove is offline Find More Posts by Dr Strangelove
Closed Thread