HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2011, 08:38 PM
Mountain Flyer
United States, UT, Cedar City
Joined May 2005
190 Posts
Finally had a nice day to maiden. First flight went ok, but I had a hard time landing sucker just didn't want to slow down.
Went to a 8x7 prop on my second flight and logged 102 mph with my RcSpeedo app, but landed WAY too fast and it ripped off the rudder and elevator.

It was a clean break and looks ok after some ca glue. Any tips on landing?
jzonts is offline Find More Posts by jzonts
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2011, 01:51 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
Great Servos I'm sure but a little bit on the expensive side...
yellowcolorado is offline Find More Posts by yellowcolorado
Old Nov 15, 2011, 04:44 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzonts View Post
Any tips on landing?
At a safe altitude see how slow you can get the plane to fly before it stalls and keep practising until you're happy cruising around at a slow speed. Remember not to turn too tightly when flying slowly (tip stall!) and to keep a very small amount of throttle on as the rotating prop will act as a brake and help to slow the plane. Soon you should have the confidence to fly a slow, low, open approach and land at a lot lower speed. If you're not easy with that idea, try using a small amount of down ailerons, say -2mm, and again with a small amount of throttle on. This should help the plane to fly and land at a lower speed. Again, keep the turns open and wide and don't try and turn to sharply in this configuration as the plane will eventually tip stall if pushed too far.

HTH.
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Nov 15, 2011, 09:44 AM
Beware of Crossbow Snipers!
San Jose, CA
Joined Nov 2006
391 Posts
Great tips! Yes before the 1st landing, you need to know the Stall Speed. I was told to fly 100' up, cut power and fly level, adding more and more elevator until stall is achieved. I was even advised to "pretend to land' while 100' up during the Maiden.

Ideally, to stick the landing you want to achieve Stall just as the plane touches the grass, and you'll be at full up elevator.

Setup may help. Have you guys tried Spoilerons?
markind is offline Find More Posts by markind
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:33 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2008
1,570 Posts
Hi all !

Would like to call for the expertice of the RCG community regarding the dog...

I have a HK NTM 3548 1100 kv laying around and was thinking of installing it in the MPX dogfighter. Would like my dog to be as fast as my rarebear funfighter and past the 100 mph mark.

What prop, ESC , lipo setup would you recommend ?

My first wild guess would be APCE 10x10 or 9x9 on 3S and 9x9 or 9x7,5 on 4S... (have all those props in the tool box at the moment...)

What do you think ?
Manu Simon is offline Find More Posts by Manu Simon
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:54 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,980 Posts
IMHO the Dogfighter is an excellent plane in many ways, but it will never compare to HobbyKing's diminutive RareBear on 4s. You might be disappointed.......
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:43 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2008
1,570 Posts
Anyway I already pulled the trigger Just wanted to get back to an MPX product: First plane was an Easystar and 30 planes and few years later I'm back with another MPX plane...

Still what could I hope from this 650 watt motor ? And how to get the max speed out of it ?
Manu Simon is offline Find More Posts by Manu Simon
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:56 PM
France, IDF, Bièvres
Joined Aug 2010
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
IMHO the Dogfighter is an excellent plane in many ways, but it will never compare to HobbyKing's diminutive RareBear on 4s. You might be disappointed.......
Got 225 kph with my Dogfighter (Himax kv1350, APC E 9x6, 4S - horizontal speed measured with Voltron GPS)...after a good dive to be honest. I think it is very similar to a Rear Bear on 4S.
I agree anyway, the Rare Bear is a small but very effective beast.
phicaloma is offline Find More Posts by phicaloma
Old Nov 15, 2011, 02:54 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phicaloma View Post
Got 225 kph with my Dogfighter (Himax kv1350, APC E 9x6, 4S - horizontal speed measured with Voltron GPS)...after a good dive to be honest. I think it is very similar to a Rear Bear on 4S.
I agree anyway, the Rare Bear is a small but very effective beast.
the voltron gps is a joke i have one i got speeds ranging from 235kph to 291 kph on the same day in my Sundowner 50 lol
Adrian_M is offline Find More Posts by Adrian_M
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 15, 2011, 02:55 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
i love my HK rare bear on 4s it's a rocket hehehe
Adrian_M is offline Find More Posts by Adrian_M
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 15, 2011, 03:38 PM
France, IDF, Bièvres
Joined Aug 2010
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_M View Post
the voltron gps is a joke i have one i got speeds ranging from 235kph to 291 kph on the same day in my Sundowner 50 lol
Nicely put opinion.

Just love this kind of talking (and useful too).
phicaloma is offline Find More Posts by phicaloma
Old Nov 15, 2011, 05:28 PM
Mountain Flyer
Joined May 2005
190 Posts
Quote:
At a safe altitude see how slow you can get the plane to fly before it stalls and keep practising until you're happy cruising around at a slow speed. Remember not to turn too tightly when flying slowly (tip stall!) and to keep a very small amount of throttle on as the rotating prop will act as a brake and help to slow the plane. Soon you should have the confidence to fly a slow, low, open approach and land at a lot lower speed. If you're not easy with that idea, try using a small amount of down ailerons, say -2mm, and again with a small amount of throttle on. This should help the plane to fly and land at a lower speed. Again, keep the turns open and wide and don't try and turn to sharply in this configuration as the plane will eventually tip stall if pushed too far.

HTH.
Thank you for the tips, I will have to practice testing stall speed.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 05:32 PM
Mountain Flyer
Joined May 2005
190 Posts
I wanted to give my specs out for my new prop for anyone interested.
Exceed Rocket Motor 2820-1500kv
Dynam Detrum 70A ESC
GForce 30C 2650mAh 3S 11.1V LiPO
EMP Neodym 8 X 7 Electric Scimitar Prop (needed some balancing before use)

102 mph checked through RCSpeedo

Static power:
-58 amps
-626 watts
-10.8v
This is exceeding the specs of the motor, but should unload some in the air and I try and limit full throttle.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:44 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,448 Posts
Hi, just got the DF and Multiplex power set-up from tower, I put the two halfs together as per the manual, but now I'm baffled on how to fit the esc, battery tray and all the wires and battery, I should have figured this all out before gluing everything, but the manual doesn't mention anything about esc placement
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Nov 16, 2011, 02:20 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,980 Posts
The battery tray is simply fixed in place with regular cyano as per instructions, not forgetting to install the Velcro battery restraint. For flight, the ESC simply rests on top of the battery, but be aware that the 3 wires to the motor may need extending dependent on which make of ESC you use. What is vital to check is that the 3 wires from the motor don't rub on the back of the rotating part of the motor or there may be a 'Crash & burn' incident!