HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:47 PM
Death and Taxes
Des Moines I'm in Heaven...I mean Iowa
Joined Feb 2006
835 Posts
Gave mine a test run today. What a fun plane. Went with the 1300KV turnigy with a 9x6 prop and 2100MAH 3 cell. Gots some good speed, isn't real heavy. A fun flying plane for sure. Gonna be one of my faves. Doesn't take long to get up to soar around. Rolls like a dart. Nice job on this one.
conceptmachining is offline Find More Posts by conceptmachining
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:16 AM
Joined Oct 2007
234 Posts
Himax Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MclF1 View Post
i run the dogfigther RR and it is bloody good for a stock setup 3 or 4 cell 2200mah

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290652341...84.m1423.l2649
The Himax motor is designed to run on a 3s lipo...not sure how long you can expect it to run on 4s.......
mr.sand is offline Find More Posts by mr.sand
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:53 PM
Joined Oct 2007
234 Posts
Motor Shafts---Turnigy 3025-1500

Well I made some new 70 mm shafts for this motor and installed them.

There is a groove on the old shaft for a clip at the front bearing location and a 5-6mm flat on the end a few mm from the tip. Now the shaft does have a screw on it applying pressure at the opposite end and I was wondering if I can get away with a 5mm collar at the front bearing instead of cutting the groove and flat...any useful advice would sure be appreciated
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:37 PM
Joined Oct 2007
234 Posts
Dog Motors --Turnigy 3025-1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sand View Post
Well I made some new 70 mm shafts for this motor and installed them.

There is a groove on the old shaft for a clip at the front bearing location and a 5-6mm flat on the end a few mm from the tip. Now the shaft does have a screw on it applying pressure at the opposite end and I was wondering if I can get away with a 5mm collar at the front bearing instead of cutting the groove and flat...any useful advice would sure be appreciated
I have been informed on how to repair this shaft properly. A Forum Thank you to
murdnunoc,
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:17 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,526 Posts
Glad to hear you got sorted.

I was going to post that I thought it would be ok to use a collar but got sidetracked and forgot....
feefo is online now Find More Posts by feefo
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:59 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Mar 2011
878 Posts
My dog is finally ready to maiden. I have an E-flight power 25 1250 motor installed and several different props to try. I plan on starting with a 9X9 on 3s.
asosestrom is offline Find More Posts by asosestrom
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:03 PM
It's a gremlin, so what.
peterborough
Joined Dec 2007
178 Posts
Well it took two months, but the Dr. MadThrust motor came in today. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=29355
It bolts right in, prop adapter seems to bite fine, and a prop clears the nose of the plane. Minimal amount of foam was removed to fit it in.
Must admit, when the post lady handed me the package, there was some instant pucker factor from the sheer mass of it
flypig is offline Find More Posts by flypig
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:17 AM
It's a gremlin, so what.
peterborough
Joined Dec 2007
178 Posts
Alright then, just taped her shut with servos, esc, battery and junk roughly where they ought to be. Balanced right at the recommended CoG, wow some luck there eh.
Anybody with a heavy, faster Dog have a good recommendation for a CoG. Often recommend ones are so conservative, a plane will climb like mad under power from being so nose heavy.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:41 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,824 Posts
flypig,

Google "Dive test for CG".

Get your CG as close as you can for maiden flight, then do the Dive test in-flight to optimize it.

Good luck,

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:49 PM
It's a gremlin, so what.
peterborough
Joined Dec 2007
178 Posts
That's my preferred method as well. Just want to avoid an overly pitchy plane, since at first throw it will be untrimmed, on top of being a torque to the left lawn dart
More than likely going to bungee launch it off a hill for the first go at it. At least then I'll have a half way behaving plane for the first hand launch. I've done that before, worked out well.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:25 PM
Joined Oct 2007
234 Posts
Mad motor

That motor looks huge. You probably know all this but....

I don't see a problem balancing the plane at factory spec location.
Just before the launch make sure to ground check all controls and have your throws adjusted moderately per factory or slightly less.

The plane should be powered up until you feel it wants to fly out of your hand..then heve it level to 30 degrees up and give it positive forward motion...good luck
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:25 AM
It's a gremlin, so what.
peterborough
Joined Dec 2007
178 Posts
Without a doubt, thanks for the advice guys.
Lots of tricks out there, but just as many different airframes with unique considerations. I asked for with this plane, and the advice doesn't fall on deaf ears.
So I noticed on my Rarebear that when I went up in propeller pitch, the plane would " wallow ", unresponsive for a extra 10 - 20 feet , on top of the regular dead air,then pull away. Taking 40 feel to get to full throttle helped. I assume this is normal, and I'll have to learn the best throttle position for the Dogs wing loading, and prop. Does a air prop " cavitate " like a boat prop does if too much power is applied out of the hole?
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:37 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypig View Post
Without a doubt, thanks for the advice guys.
Lots of tricks out there, but just as many different airframes with unique considerations. I asked for with this plane, and the advice doesn't fall on deaf ears.
So I noticed on my Rarebear that when I went up in propeller pitch, the plane would " wallow ", unresponsive for a extra 10 - 20 feet , on top of the regular dead air,then pull away. Taking 40 feel to get to full throttle helped. I assume this is normal, and I'll have to learn the best throttle position for the Dogs wing loading, and prop. Does a air prop " cavitate " like a boat prop does if too much power is applied out of the hole?
You are experiencing prop stall. With higher pitch props, they don't really "bite" until they get enough air passing through them. Lower pitch will have more static thrust and give you the low end grunt at the expense of top end speed.
nofreee is offline Find More Posts by nofreee
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:33 AM
Joined Oct 2007
234 Posts
Cavitate

I don't know about this...I have a funfighter RB and the Dog..never flown a prop smaller than 8x6 sport on dog with a 4s batt...no problems launching following my previous advice...same with Rarebear...If the plane wants to pull hard from your hand before heve and release and your launching into wind...it ain't going to stall--normally

Now launching downwind is a different matter all together...even launching in no wind might be a tad trickier than into wind....I have doofed them before
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:15 PM
Joined Sep 2008
85 Posts
Just got my first Dog! Gonna glass it a little and make it look good first. Any experiencewith prop saver on this? Running on stock setup.
gibb83 is offline Find More Posts by gibb83