HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:29 AM
Registered User
feefo's Avatar
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,500 Posts
I didn't realise you'd already had a P25.
feefo is online now Find More Posts by feefo
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:24 PM
Registered User
Manu Simon's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2008
1,570 Posts
I have a Scorp 3026 1600 kv driving a 8x8 TGS sport or 8x7 APC sport in my DF

I fly it on 3000mah 4S or 2650mah 5S with YEP 100A ....Scary fast on 5S.....
Manu Simon is offline Find More Posts by Manu Simon
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:38 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2007
234 Posts
Scorpion 1600 Heli

Pulled the fuse on a Scorp-3026-1600 tonight for the new Dog in the Box...I don't know whats wrong with me

now I'll play with my Turnigy 3025 shaft replacement project myself on the older mutt
mr.sand is offline Find More Posts by mr.sand
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:40 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2007
234 Posts
Amp Pull

Hey Manu


what amps do you pull on your rig?
mr.sand is offline Find More Posts by mr.sand
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:48 PM
Registered User
Manu Simon's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2008
1,570 Posts
Around 100A on 5S and 70A on 4S IIRC
Manu Simon is offline Find More Posts by Manu Simon
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:47 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
murdnunoc's Avatar
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sand View Post
Pulled the fuse on a Scorp-3026-1600 tonight for the new Dog in the Box...I don't know whats wrong with me

now I'll play with my Turnigy 3025 shaft replacement project myself on the older mutt
Mr. Sand,
I think you've made a good choice with the Scorpion motor. It'll run much better mechanically, and more efficient electrically.

You can handle replacing the shaft on your Turnigy.
450 size heli main shafts make great 5mm shaft stock.
For the absolute strongest shaft available, get some ejector pins for plastic molding machines. They're dead true straight and round, ground to extreme tolerances.
http://www.plastixs.com/ep07.html I've ordered from these guys before, and they're good.

LIke already stated, it's very helpful to have a drill press or arbor press to push the shaft in and out of the bell.
Don't forget to remove the set screws in the bell holding the shaft in (experience speaking)
Chuck a nail/rod that's slightly under 5mm in the press, and put the bell "cup down" on the press table to keep it square.

You really won't need a new circlip to hold the motor together, as the force of thrust is pulling it against itself when mounted behind the firewall.
If you feel better about having it secured, you can use a 5mm wheel collar instead of a circlip.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:38 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2007
234 Posts
Helpful Information

Thanks Manu an Murdnnoc

I appreciate your help and advice.

I will slowly and methodically assemble the new DF with fiber tape around the interior of the nose and slice in some carbon rod along the fuze and tail plane...upgrade horns/connectors and hinge tape the aileron channels. Going to take me a couple of months with other planes to fly (Like my Skyangel Rarebear) and others (Weasel) etc.
The Dogfighter gives me great pleasure.. a true point and shoot airframe. Now If I only had great pilot skillls

The Scorpion 3026-1600 as I understand is discontinued...I had almost bought the 3226-1600...but it was another 20 bucks and about 30 grams heavier or so..I'm sure its the best motor I'll have owned to date.
mr.sand is offline Find More Posts by mr.sand
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:06 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2009
1,978 Posts
I am still running the stock himax 1350kv I don't need much more because my skills are still coming. But would there be a little quicker motor for 3s and maybe 4s down the road.
NaterPin is offline Find More Posts by NaterPin
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:08 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2007
234 Posts
Dog Motors

There are many choices

For 70 bucks you can have a electric pylon racing motor --Eflite power 25-1250---its a well built motor that will fly 3 or 4s lipo's. The motors offered by Heads Up Rc are more affordable..the Himax you have is about a 350 watt motor. Many of the motors at Heads up are 30-35 dollars or so and can be 500-600 watt motors.
mr.sand is offline Find More Posts by mr.sand
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:55 PM
Registered User
feefo's Avatar
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sand View Post
There are many choices

For 70 bucks you can have a electric pylon racing motor --Eflite power 25-1250---its a well built motor that will fly 3 or 4s lipo's. The motors offered by Heads Up Rc are more affordable..the Himax you have is about a 350 watt motor. Many of the motors at Heads up are 30-35 dollars or so and can be 500-600 watt motors.
It's been run on 5s as well.

I haven't looked too closely, but most of the HeadsupRC motors are prob Turnigy versions. Firepower look like EMP, which I think are different colour Turnigy's.

E-Flite motor seems to have proved itself and isn't too expensive.

Scorpion/Hyperion is a good motor too. The 1600kv can be run mildly at around 65a static on 4s with a 7x7, or propped up and run at high amps and or cell count for higher speed. Even on 3s the 1600kv Scorp propped right will be quicker/faster than the Himax. Depends what you class as a little quicker?

You might get a few mph from changing the prop. Maybe a 8x8 or 9x8, but use a watt meter to check amp draw first.
feefo is online now Find More Posts by feefo
Last edited by feefo; Feb 11, 2013 at 01:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:48 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2009
1,978 Posts
What about this one:
http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/pro...roducts_id=838

Prop Specs:
http://innov8tivedesigns.com/Cobra/C...26-6_Specs.htm

I going need to start looking at build logs to see how and where guys are mounting the esc.
NaterPin is offline Find More Posts by NaterPin
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:18 PM
Registered User
feefo's Avatar
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,500 Posts
I haven't got experience of that motor so maybe someone else can comment. The Scorpions and Hyperions have been pushed past their specs and seem ok, I don't know how the Cobra would handle 90a+ if you tried to push it.

My esc is way back by the exit cooling hole on the underside. Esc/motor wires are extended by a couple of inches.
feefo is online now Find More Posts by feefo
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:40 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2009
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
I haven't got experience of that motor so maybe someone else can comment. The Scorpions and Hyperions have been pushed past their specs and seem ok, I don't know how the Cobra would handle 90a+ if you tried to push it.

My esc is way back by the exit cooling hole on the underside. Esc/motor wires are extended by a couple of inches.
cobras are Pulso
NaterPin is offline Find More Posts by NaterPin
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:54 PM
Death and Taxes
conceptmachining's Avatar
Des Moines I'm in Heaven...I mean Iowa
Joined Feb 2006
835 Posts
I'm one of the guys that doesn't want a 100+MPH plane, but being in the 75MPH area would be fast enough for me. I was wondering, has anyone tried a eflite 480 on a 9x7.5 prop? If so, about how fast are we talking? I have a turnagy 1300KV motor I think 450 watts, which would be about the equivilant of a 15 size motor, I just don't want it to weigh an absolute ton! LOL... besides, man I'm having a problem stuffing everything in the nose of the plane without rubbing. I'll figure it out, but its a tight little bugga.
conceptmachining is offline Find More Posts by conceptmachining
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:14 PM
CRASHING IS THE EASY PART
MclF1's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Oatley
Joined Sep 2011
709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptmachining View Post
I'm one of the guys that doesn't want a 100+MPH plane, but being in the 75MPH area would be fast enough for me. I was wondering, has anyone tried a eflite 480 on a 9x7.5 prop? If so, about how fast are we talking? I have a turnagy 1300KV motor I think 450 watts, which would be about the equivilant of a 15 size motor, I just don't want it to weigh an absolute ton! LOL... besides, man I'm having a problem stuffing everything in the nose of the plane without rubbing. I'll figure it out, but its a tight little bugga.
i run the dogfigther RR and it is bloody good for a stock setup 3 or 4 cell 2200mah

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290652341...84.m1423.l2649
MclF1 is offline Find More Posts by MclF1
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Kyosho Phantom Reno Racer Motor Selection Cincy E-Flyer High Performance 6 Aug 12, 2011 03:35 PM
Discussion Multiplex news 2011: Reno-style DOGFIGHTER etc mopetista Foamies (Kits) 0 Feb 01, 2011 06:09 AM
Sold Cox Corsair II Reno Racer CL RTF skylane42 Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Dec 11, 2010 10:45 AM
For Sale Hacker Reno Racer-Cosmic Wind Doug Hinkel Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Sep 02, 2010 01:02 PM