HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:59 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
Using a sport (gas) prop instead of the 'E' prop will drop your amps a little.

I'm running a 7x8 sport on 4s (Scorp 3026 1600kv), while it seemed a little faster than the 7x7, it was only a little faster IMO.

I want to run a 7x9 but I'd prefer to get a bigger battery for that 1st.
Feefo you would be shocked at how many guys, refuse to run Sport props, they say the sport props are to heavy

and how many fail to understand that if you are after top end speed, you need to have gear that is up to the task.

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined Oct 2007
234 Posts
Too Heavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
Feefo you would be shocked at how many guys, refuse to run Sport props, they say the sport props are to heavy

and how many fail to understand that if you are after top end speed, you need to have gear that is up to the task.

FCA
Could you elaborate please
mr.sand is offline Find More Posts by mr.sand
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:37 PM
I'm in the inverted lift
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Feb 2006
721 Posts
[QUOTE=mr.sand;23253930]Could you elaborate please[/....
racedouge1 is online now Find More Posts by racedouge1
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:04 AM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
I have friends who refuse to use sport props, they think sport props are to heavy for electric powered planes.

Anyhow new DF ordered will try to get it built ASAP

FCA

As for the gear remark, some think a simple prop change is gonna take them from 70 to 150mph,
Or going from a 20C pack to a 30C will do the same. Lol

I need one of those props
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:39 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,664 Posts
Can't qiute get my head around a sport prop being too heavy for an eleccy plane.

Ok, maybe on certain planes I can... e.g. microjet, but I'd have though that the prop wouldn't be suitable for smaller motors, with small dia shafts and iddy diddy bearings, not eleccy planes generally. After all, there's some pretty big eleccy planes available.
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:24 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, CPH
Joined Aug 2012
60 Posts
Speedblind

Hi.

Thanks for your suggestions

I got several flights on 3s and 4s monday and was a bit disapointed in the speed, - or lack thereoff so to speak. I had my experience from my maiden on 4s yesterday fresh in mind and somehow mentaly expected higher topspeed. - The mind sometimes play tricks on you

The fluttering and vibration is still present on my plane after I have fibered it up, - glued wing to the fuselage ect, - tightened the motormount adjustment screws. (didnt permafix it but strengthened the plastics and fibered the EPP on the outside) But now the vibration / fluttering is also present at 3s (perhaps after i have messed with the adjustment screws on the motormount)

My 8*8 prop is accurately ballanced and I am leaning towards that the plastic sidemounts that the aluminum motormount mounts to simply is'nt up to the task !!

Futhermore the fluttering only happens in flight, - not in stactic where there only is a small vibration from 3/4 throttle and up. Its sounds as if something goes in to violent resonance in flight.

One of my fellow clubmembers think that my problem could be that it is the controlsurfaces that resonates at high speed?, -they are alle stock with MPX nano servos (RR version) with the thin metalrod connecting to my heavyly reinforced controlhorns.. - Could this be a posibility, - in my view it should then behave erratically and probably damage the servos almost instantlty?

Running Hyperion HS3026-1600 with 40C 3s and 4s 2200 lipos

Cheers

C
Cavokk is offline Find More Posts by Cavokk
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:02 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,664 Posts
Try beefing your control rods up if you're using the stock ones. I wouldn't/didn't use them myself, and with HS65's I don't get any flutter. Wing/fuse isn't glued on mine either.

Tend to agree about the plastic motor mount sides, not the best way of doing it IMO, I stripped one side accidently and have had to get some different screws to hold the metal mount in place.
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:06 AM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavokk View Post
Hi.

I got several flights on 3s and 4s monday and was a bit disapointed in the speed, - or lack thereoff so to speak. I had my experience from my maiden on 4s yesterday fresh in mind and somehow mentaly expected higher topspeed. - The mind sometimes play tricks on you

The fluttering and vibration is still present on my plane after I have fibered it up, - glued wing to the fuselage ect, - tightened the motormount adjustment screws. (didnt permafix it but strengthened the plastics and fibered the EPP on the outside) But now the vibration / fluttering is also present at 3s (perhaps after i have messed with the adjustment screws on the motormount)

My 8*8 prop is accurately ballanced and I am leaning towards that the plastic sidemounts that the aluminum motormount mounts to simply is'nt up to the task !!

Futhermore the fluttering only happens in flight, - not in stactic where there only is a small vibration from 3/4 throttle and up. Its sounds as if something goes in to violent resonance in flight.

One of my fellow clubmembers think that my problem could be that it is the controlsurfaces that resonates at high speed?, -they are alle stock with MPX nano servos (RR version) with the thin metalrod connecting to my heavyly reinforced controlhorns.. - Could this be a posibility, - in my view it should then behave erratically and probably damage the servos almost instantlty?

Cheers

C
Betcha need a metal Motor Mount.......http://www.smallpartscnc.com/
FlyBillyFly is online now Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:20 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
Pretty much, yep that is not the case.

I have just spoken with the authority on the matter, Castle. This resistance is caused by the mosfets in the ESC being in a certain state when the ESC is powered down. Sometimes the motor will be resistive to turning by hand and sometimes not. The configuration would be with the ESC having the motor connected to it, but no battery connected to the ESC.
Interesting...good to know.

Thanks
Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:26 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
Try beefing your control rods up if you're using the stock ones. I wouldn't/didn't use them myself, and with HS65's I don't get any flutter. Wing/fuse isn't glued on mine either.

Tend to agree about the plastic motor mount sides, not the best way of doing it IMO, I stripped one side accidently and have had to get some different screws to hold the metal mount in place.
I am running the E-flite Power 25 8x8 sport with HS 55`s soon to be traded to TYG 113MG Digitals but even with the 55`s i do not experiance any flutter even with the 2700MAH 4S 90-130c lipos
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:31 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Hi.

The fluttering and vibration is still present on my plane after I have fibered it up, - glued wing to the fuselage ect, - tightened the motormount adjustment screws. (didn't permafix it but strengthened the plastics and fibered the EPP on the outside) But now the vibration / fluttering is also present at 3s (perhaps after i have messed with the adjustment screws on the motormount)

Cheers

C
I'm on my 3rd Dog now this one running a large Inrunner and absolutely no vibrations my other two dogs where both powered by Hyperion HS3026-1600kv motors and no matter what i did at full throttle they would resonate no idea why everything was balanced motor, prop
There is nothing wrong with the included alloy motor mount
If you have any play in your servo linkages you will get flutter at high speed I used ball links all round,and 11g digital 2.5kg servos
My current setup is drawing big amps I puffed up a couple of 4s nanos 2650mah 35-70c this weekend I'm now waiting for some 2700 90-130c
Still my favorite plane
Adrian_M is offline Find More Posts by Adrian_M
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:48 PM
Joined Oct 2007
234 Posts
Dogging

Quote:
Hi.

Cheers

C
I have had to put my 1350kv himax back in since I broke my Turn-3025/1500 a few weeks ago..and smoked my eflite 25-1250...now I have to run 3s batteries for this motor...anyway I have tested the 8-8 e prop and the 8-8 sport on the motor. The electric posted about 520 watts at 47 amps while the sport posted +- 500 watts at about 42 amps.

I'm no engineer but I doubt this plane was designed for 150 mph speeds all the time...things are just going to loosen up and fail....unless altered. The stock plastic fuse side mounts seem adequate for these speeds. My new in the box doggie will have upgraded hardware rods and connectors, extra carbon rods, additional taped hinges, strong servos, and a powerful motor yet to be determined. I guess I'd like to have one of the hyper or scorp 3026 class motors..any other mills similar to those to consider? What about a Cobra motor? Anyone ever try a Cobra..on anything...
Last edited by mr.sand; Nov 14, 2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:11 PM
Joined Mar 2012
30 Posts
good replacement motor

i would appreciate if someone can help me with this.
i purchased a dogfighter with the multiplex Hi-pref power pack from towerhobbies a while ago.
last time i flew it was a strong wind day and had a bad luck during the hand launch. The plane went down and hit the nose and the motor got burnt. but the ESC is still good I believe.

I want to buy the replacement motor from towerhobbies because they give me discount but I cant find the Himax motor sold separately without the kit. I just need the motor.

Does tower sell that motor separately on their site? if not what is a good equivelant motor to get from that site (and works perfectly with the stock ESC)?

Thank you for your help
IyadNihad is offline Find More Posts by IyadNihad
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:01 AM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Well finally ordered another DF, I was planning on installing a MEGA 600/30/4 Outrunner, but decided to go with a custom order instead, so hopefully in the coming weeks I will have a new Mega 600/30/3 this one will have a higher Kv, 100,000 RPM bearing, extended shafts on both ends, the WORKS

I've added a few pics of the MEGA 600/30/4 next to my old P25 for comparison,
the P25 1250Kv with 8x8 sport on 5S was a good setup, I pushed it close to the max burst rating of 58A.

Hopefully this new MEGA outrunner with a higher Kv will allow me to go past 80Amps, we will see

Have Fun,

FCA
Last edited by FLAME747; Nov 15, 2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined Oct 2007
234 Posts
Mega What Watts

What amount of power can the motor develop Flame?