Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 09, 2011, 05:12 PM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
674 Posts
dont care for elapor nose cone, but i still like it. hope i can hold off awhile, the PZ P47 looks aweful tempting.
GassPasser is offline Find More Posts by GassPasser
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2011, 06:38 AM
lud
Making mischief in the air
Berkshire UK
Joined Jan 2008
901 Posts
looks a little like this ...

I do like it .. as ever depends on the price and what else might take priority.. will watch with intrest
lud is offline Find More Posts by lud
Old Feb 10, 2011, 09:36 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,663 Posts
The wing looks like a seafury
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:02 AM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
Canada, ON
Joined Oct 2010
1,043 Posts
and it kinda looks like this...

RF
Red Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Red Flyer
Old Feb 11, 2011, 06:13 PM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
674 Posts
i'll save my cash for the dogfighter. i love my other MPX planes !
GassPasser is offline Find More Posts by GassPasser
Old Feb 12, 2011, 07:31 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2007
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GassPasser View Post
i'll save my cash for the dogfighter. i love my other MPX planes !
+1

I have loved all mine
ToxicBanana is offline Find More Posts by ToxicBanana
Old Feb 13, 2011, 02:48 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,878 Posts
Dogfighter in video from Nuremberg fair

For some more views of the Dogfighter, here's a short video from the fair, you see the Dogfighter min 4:40

http://www.rcmovie.de/video/a1d85aac...rg-2011-Teil-2

Attached some snaps from this video, wing details

PS: Also got a bunch of MPX planes - this is going to be my ninth, no, eleventh :-)

cheers
Clemens
mopetista is offline Find More Posts by mopetista
Last edited by mopetista; Feb 13, 2011 at 03:00 AM. Reason: got more MPX planes than I thought
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:40 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2007
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
For some more views of the Dogfighter, here's a short video from the fair, you see the Dogfighter min 4:40

http://www.rcmovie.de/video/a1d85aac...rg-2011-Teil-2

Attached some snaps from this video, wing details

PS: Also got a bunch of MPX planes - this is going to be my ninth, no, eleventh :-)

cheers
Clemens
15th for me
ToxicBanana is offline Find More Posts by ToxicBanana
Old Feb 18, 2011, 04:45 AM
Joined Jan 2010
243 Posts
Do you think that the Dogfighter is going to be the dense foam as used in the Funjet Ultra? or the more normal Elapor?
Shepski is offline Find More Posts by Shepski
Old Feb 18, 2011, 06:36 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,878 Posts
Dogfighter: Foam, weight, CG etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepski View Post
Do you think that the Dogfighter is going to be the dense foam as used in the Funjet Ultra? or the more normal Elapor?
Judging from the marketing talk in the videos it should be the FJ Ultra foam, and the weight and power would also call for a robust airframe - I think it is.

Only downside: Building it light is not going to be an option, the foam will be heavy (just like the FJ Ultra is a lot heavier than the FJ) and for getting CG correct you will need a beefy motor in front. MPX uses for both versions a 136g motor, just the kV is different in the Tuning and Ultra versions, respectively. MPX claims it's very stable and precise at speed and will not break in tight maneuvers.
I think it's going to be a winner. I want it a bit lighter though and think about putting in a 90 or 106 g motor. 7x6 folder or 8x7 should be fast and still more than enough thrust. For 7x6 you need a higher kV than 1350 though, I didn't find any bigger motors w/ kV more than 1400. So that will limit the speed - but 4s is of course an option to revv things up a bit and get decent pitch speed :-) Normal props offer more choices (7x7, 7x9, 7x8? 8x8 etc.)

In the build I might carve / transfer some foam to get the battery further forward in order to get CG right with a lighter motor. That's just what I infer from the photos of the "open" Dogfighter (position of battery etc.)

cheers
Clemens
Old Feb 18, 2011, 07:15 AM
Joined Jan 2010
243 Posts
Clemens

the Himax 3516 is a 36 x 42 mm motor that weighs 134g and is available in 1350Kv and 1130Kv versions.

The 1130 multiplex recommend a 10x7 and the 1350 a 9x6 prop

Now on 3S i reckon the 1130 will be pulling about 34 amp and making around about 375 watts? and the 1350 will be pulling about 42 amp and making around 461 watts. With good battery's.

Now i have in my motor stock an EMAX 2815 - 1400KV it is a special wind that Giant Cod had in Britain and is still available, they also have still available an 1100kv wind, the standard wind which i have in my Funcub is 920kv. These Emax motors are really good quality and great value in my opinion.

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/epower-bl2...-p-403202.html

it has a 5mm shaft is actually a 38 X 36 mm motor which looking at the space around the Himax motor in the picture will easily fit, and is rated up to 60amps, now with a 9 X 6 prop it will be producing around 48 amps or 530 watt area. and weighs 112g

So guess which motor, i am going to fit? !!!!!! do you think that the dogfighter uses the standard multiplex engine mount as per the Funcub/Mentor/Acromaster etc? not a big fan of this mount, i had vibration problems with my Funcub.

However this guy makes lovely alloy mounts, i now have one on my Cub, they are a real work of art

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...55&mode=linear
Old Feb 18, 2011, 07:39 AM
Joined Jan 2010
243 Posts
Another thing that for many may be an issue, is that if this plane is designed for 2200Mah 3s battery's but with the tuning power set is drawing in the region of 42 amps. The 2200 batteries are going to need quite a high C rating to stop them coming down hot or puffed up. also with a 42 amp draw that is only 2.5 minutes at WOT. Personally i never fly at WOT for very long, too much concentration !!! so i would have thought realistically 5 minutes of mixed flying. Which is OK.

I will use my 2200 20C rated batteries but watch the WOT time carefully
Old Feb 18, 2011, 08:58 AM
lud
Making mischief in the air
Berkshire UK
Joined Jan 2008
901 Posts
I'd go with the lower power set 300-350w is more than I need in a plane with 800mm wings (but then im not so used to flying 80mph planes) ...
In fact I looked at 300W setups but discounted due having to then play with additional dead GC or shifting batteries far forward.

If it verticles with the existing powersetup then i'd be happy with that for certain..
planning to use these batteries - from Giant Cod : 5C Charge Loong max Tipple Lipo Battery 2300 3S1P 20C-30C
lud is offline Find More Posts by lud
Old Feb 19, 2011, 04:26 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepski View Post
Another thing that for many may be an issue, is that if this plane is designed for 2200Mah 3s battery's but with the tuning power set is drawing in the region of 42 amps. The 2200 batteries are going to need quite a high C rating to stop them coming down hot or puffed up. also with a 42 amp draw that is only 2.5 minutes at WOT. Personally i never fly at WOT for very long, too much concentration !!! so i would have thought realistically 5 minutes of mixed flying. Which is OK.

I will use my 2200 20C rated batteries but watch the WOT time carefully
It all depends on the prop. A 9x6 will only draw those high amps in a static test, in the air it will unload dramatically in such a small airframe.
As I posted previously, the 1350kV Himax will turn the 9x6 with 3s battery just not fast enough for high speed, it's only around 60mph v-opt, pitch speed is some 20% more and unloading will give you some more, but it's more for thrust than speed (or a much bigger plane). You don't need that thrust in this plane (except if you are trying to maximise vertical speed, not horizontal)
For more speed you will need 8x8 etc.
If you don't want to buy APCs after every second belly-landing you will consider good folders, i.e., Aeronaut. They have 8x7 or 7x6. Now those diameter and pitch figures always refer to the setup w/ a 42mm center piece. If the prop blades are mounted further apart both diameter and pitch go up...
Since folding prop selection is pretty limited you have to design your powertrain around the prop. Let's assume we want good speed, then it will be a choice between the 7x6 and the 8x7. While you need a lot more RPM for the 7x6 than a 1350kV will provide with 3s, the 8x7 (offered by MPX with backplate for the Dogfighter) works well with such a motor and for the amp draw a standard 3s 2200mA pack will be ok.
Just don't expect those 100mph with that setup. Note that Aeronaut offers center pieces which are tilted 5 degrees etc. for higher pitch, so that is a possibility to get more pitch speed from 8x7 or 7x6
But REAL 100 mph is just very fast, I have the impression that many think their 60mph plane is already doing 100mph.
Here's an example of a plane w/ a 1350kV motor, 3s and a 6" pitch prop: my MPX Merlin with a Permax and a 6x6 prop. This thing rocks and it is so fast (for me 60mph with a small plane is fast!) that I can only go WOT for short duration. For me the Dogfighter will be a step up: bigger than the Merlin and much stronger so I don't have to worry about the wings folding or such which keeps me from doing too tight manouvers with the Merlin - but doesn't keep me from crashing, as you can see here:
Merlin evening whistle and woosh - and crash (3 min 27 sec)

That's around 60mph WOT straight line, and although it's only 6" diameter the plane shoots up as well. Now you can imagine what real 100mph would be... Give us the Dogfigher soon :-)

edit: here's another example of 60mph (light Funjet, size-wise this is more similar to the appearance of the dogfighter than the Merlin). Not really fast, but not slow either. 100mph WILL BE FAST

Funjet light Graupner 6x5,5 speed runs 60mph (1 min 41 sec)

edit II: Found a short Video of a 100mph Microjet, nicely followed w/ cam by Juergen Heilig (that's not easy!) - see attached zip file

cheers
Clemens
Last edited by mopetista; Feb 19, 2011 at 05:07 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:18 AM
United Kingdom, England, Melton Mowbray
Joined Jan 2008
328 Posts
Oh god - when will Multiplex stop making models that appeal to me and fill a gap in the hanger?

Reluctantly................. subscribed.

Chris
chris jones is offline Find More Posts by chris jones