HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:08 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,007 Posts
I'm not suggesting that anyone here applies to this but:

I will agree that there will always be some vibrations, especially in a foam plane that's not super ridigid. However my Dog makes no such noise threw the throttle range.
Doing simple things like using Velcro on the ESC, a little bit of hot glue allowed to cool between the wings and fuse to stop vibrations, using the rubber grommets that come with some servos or tape around the servos, routing wires cleanly and not just letting them flop and vibrate around in the fuse will diminish a LOT of the noise a plane makes. Above all else proper balancing of the prop, spinner, and backplate is a must. Simple things that most people overlook when building that can eliminate 95%+ of the noise a plane makes.

I've met so many people that buy nice planes and throw them together just to get the in the air.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hangar 9 P-40b
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:39 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,812 Posts
If sthe wind and rain stop, my Dog will maiden today. I don't doubt the dog is capable of over 150 mph.

Just a note fr those that have not had an MPX Acromaster before.....I have built 6 of them with various power systems for my son and I. I leave onE with a 1200 watt set-up at my inlaw's farm. They all had a slight vibe which I assumed slight prop imbalance since it ran such large props. It turned out to be the motor mount and the 4 thrust line adjustment screws. When I replaced the holding screws with longer socket heads I was able to tighten it down much more eliminating most/all of the vibe.

I took extra care when setting my mount but that's an area where I will check if the vibe materializes
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Last edited by jayb1rdz; Feb 10, 2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 10, 2012, 02:31 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,054 Posts
Make sure to get video, Jay!
murdnunoc is online now Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Feb 10, 2012, 03:32 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,812 Posts
The official videographer has been put on notice..... He bought a dog as well and hoped to maiden today too.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 03:44 PM
Rebelliously devoid of tattoos
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
I will agree that there will always be some vibrations, especially in a foam plane that's not super ridigid. However my Dog makes no such noise threw the throttle range.
Wouldn't rigidity be more likely to lend itself to audible standing waves at certain structure-specific frequencies?

For example, a fully welded alloy boat can sound hellish at certain engine RPMs, only to revert to relative quiet as soon as the throttle is tweaked a little. That effect is nowhere near as marked on polyethylene-hulled boats which are notoriously floppy.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:35 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,244 Posts
Hey All,

Subscribing to this thread. Just ordered the DOg last night from www.hobbyzone.com

here is my setup

Esc
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7341
Ubec
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15212
motor
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8485
servos
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5709

Also going to use a square prop 10x10E APC or 9x9E APC

What do you guys think? Any criticism is welcome. Not sure if this is a suitable setup...if there are quirks noticed please let me know, I would like to resolve them before I get everything in the mail.

thanks

Tengarang
tengarang is online now Find More Posts by tengarang
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:41 PM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,386 Posts
Thats a great motor you selected! I will be interested to hear how how it works out for you.

Matt
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:53 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
Make sure to get video, Jay!
I ain't posting........ Ugly.

My buddy and I both maidened our dogs today. Different power systems. His a 3-4s config and mine a 4-5 s config. We both decided to start on 4s. The other guys model struggled for sufficient power with an 8x8. It turned out that the shaft was pulling through his motor !, after 3 attempts at launching it got away and accelerated nicely but was very twitchy.....tail heavy with a rudder servo.

Mine went away easily on the first throw. Over hand at about 30pct throttle and 30 degree launch angle It raced away but I struggled for up elevator and i ran out of trim. It flew nicely and behaved well at WOT, despite having to keep my thumb pulling the elevator stick back all the time I landed without too much stress and reset the elevators and trim.
The second launch..... it rolled and nose dived into the very wet rain soaked mud. Not much damage but I realized on inspection that I pulled through the hole of the horn through possibly when I removed or reinstalled the reset push rod.

Mud and water was right through the fuse so I opted to bring it home for a clean and a repair....already done. My buddy got a couple more flights and now his is trimmed was pretty much keeping pace with my Eflite shoestring. Great model. J
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:31 AM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle72 View Post
Thats a great motor you selected! I will be interested to hear how how it works out for you.

Matt
Thank you Matt. I will make a report when I finish building her and the maiden will follow soon there after.

The guts were only ordered in the last 2 days, and knowing hobbyking it will be end of march by the time I get my stuff. The air-frame from hobbyzone will be here by next Thursday.

im told the build will take 5 hours. we will see.

tengarang
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:47 PM
50th state
Joined May 2009
75 Posts
what kind of speed is someone get out these planes
xl8er is offline Find More Posts by xl8er
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:07 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,327 Posts
0 to 150mph and better....
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:51 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengarang View Post
Hey All,

Subscribing to this thread. Just ordered the DOg last night from www.hobbyzone.com

here is my setup

Esc
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7341
Ubec
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15212
motor
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8485
servos
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5709

Also going to use a square prop 10x10E APC or 9x9E APC

What do you guys think? Any criticism is welcome. Not sure if this is a suitable setup...if there are quirks noticed please let me know, I would like to resolve them before I get everything in the mail.

thanks

Tengarang
update..ordered the following esc from cyclone

http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=1370

this will take the place of hobbyking esc
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:57 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky View Post
0 to 150mph and better....
Did you try an 8x8??

Sandbagger...
murdnunoc is online now Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Feb 12, 2012, 09:29 PM
Joined Oct 2007
234 Posts
uneven wing/stab

Can't believe it....but i was looking at the plane in its cradle thinking about its maiden tomorrow when i noticed a clear uneven balance between the wing and stab.... ones tilted down and right the the other down and left...i thought i was careful....hoping I can shim the wing saddle to make things level...anyone with another idea
mr.sand is offline Find More Posts by mr.sand
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:18 AM
Joined Dec 2009
534 Posts
another way forward

I have had really good luck running the Parkzone BF109 3 blade prop on my SKY CAT and two AcroMasters, I am using the turnigy 35-46-850 outrunner, I also make the fiberglass inside the nose mod as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
If sthe wind and rain stop, my Dog will maiden today. I don't doubt the dog is capable of over 150 mph.

Just a note fr those that have not had an MPX Acromaster before.....I have built 6 of them with various power systems for my son and I. I leave onE with a 1200 watt set-up at my inlaw's farm. They all had a slight vibe which I assumed slight prop imbalance since it ran such large props. It turned out to be the motor mount and the 4 thrust line adjustment screws. When I replaced the holding screws with longer socket heads I was able to tighten it down much more eliminating most/all of the vibe.

I took extra care when setting my mount but that's an area where I will check if the vibe materializes
cgoffa is offline Find More Posts by cgoffa
Last edited by cgoffa; Feb 13, 2012 at 11:42 AM. Reason: poor grammar