HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2011, 04:36 AM
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Feb 2011
5 Posts
SKARTEC 705 TX Issue... resolved?

Thanks Mark.

As they say... 'beggars cant be choosers'.

At the very least this will get me, and I dare say others, out of the $&*7 in the short term.

I will continue to investigate and if I come across any other feasable solutions I will pass them on here.

Cheers

HendryC
hendryc is offline Find More Posts by hendryc
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2011, 01:06 PM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markf007 View Post
Hi hendryC,

The home made cable I made for my SKY-705 is able to configure the SKY-705 unit and also works with simulator programs.

Unfortunately the 'over-run' problem is not resolved with this cable.

Cable details attached. Use this information at your own risk.

Regards,
markf007
very nice drawing; btw what graphics program did you use to create this drawing from?

On the cable front; yes you are correct; the over run problem is in the firmware of the circuit and is not a cable problem. The only solution at this time is to use the Sky Flight Simulator Cable designed for earlier Transmitter models.

Max
Parkflying is offline Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 17, 2011, 08:18 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
21 Posts
Hi Max,

Windows 7 Paint.

Basically I extracted the connector images from google images, pasted the images into Windows 7 Paint and added the coloured connections between connectors.

Simply and very effective.

BTW thanks for all your assistance to date.

Regards,
Mark
markf007 is offline Find More Posts by markf007
Old Feb 18, 2011, 08:38 AM
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Feb 2011
5 Posts
Skyartec 705 TX USB Cable.

Hi Mark,

Yes I echo that praise re your diagram... It has driven me to action and I have just purchased the required items from JayCar - cost $A6.60 inc Solder (which I can never find when I need it) - and will be proceeding forthwith.

At the risk of being pedantic, may I clarify the orientation of the USB plug in your diagram?

Looking from the front (as you say) the 'plastic' bit with the 4 imbeded rails is in the bottom half of the plug - is that correct?

HendryC
Last edited by hendryc; Feb 18, 2011 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Reworded
Old Feb 18, 2011, 05:18 PM
Joined Jan 2011
21 Posts
Hi HendryC,

Yes that is correct.

Regards,
Mark
Old Feb 18, 2011, 06:37 PM
Joined Jan 2011
21 Posts
Building the cable

Hi,

In my case I purchased a USB printer cable and replaced one end with the 5 pin DIN connector. This approach will save on effort as you only need to solder up one end of the cable.

I also used 'Liquid electrical tape' within the 5 pin DIN to ensure nothing shorts out (even a short to the shield or outer portion of the 5 pin DIN could cause issues).

The cable colours used in the diagram are standard (if you end up buying a printer cable) with the following exceptions--->. On some pre built cables the yellow might actually be a green cable. The grey cable within the diagram signifies a white cable.

Just a few helpful hints for anyone undertaking the job.

Regards,
Mark
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:43 AM
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Feb 2011
5 Posts
Repalcement Cable - SUCCESS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf007 View Post
Hi,

In my case I purchased a USB printer cable and replaced one end with the 5 pin DIN connector. This approach will save on effort as you only need to solder up one end of the cable.

I also used 'Liquid electrical tape' within the 5 pin DIN to ensure nothing shorts out (even a short to the shield or outer portion of the 5 pin DIN could cause issues).

The cable colours used in the diagram are standard (if you end up buying a printer cable) with the following exceptions--->. On some pre built cables the yellow might actually be a green cable. The grey cable within the diagram signifies a white cable.

Just a few helpful hints for anyone undertaking the job.

Regards,
Mark
Hi All and in particular markf007

Guided by the pin out diagram above, courtesy if the afore mention markf007
I proceeded to make up my own replacement cable for the 'inferior' specimen provided with my otherwise reasonable SKYARTEC Cessna 182 RTF kit.

The original cable gave up the ghost after approx 4-5 hours of sedate use - it could have been an isolated failure - except all the posts here are probably subject to the same sort of failure - most likely caused by inferior materials or poor QC.

Non the less, as I indicated above I decided to give it a go - utilising a spare USB printer cable as suggested, and a 5 pin 180 deg. Din plug (cost $A1.00) and even after the 'sloppiest' solder job I have ever had the misfortune to perform, I now have a FULLY functional cable - it responds to the SKYARTEC V2.1 Exe file, allowing programming of the TX (which was my prime concern) and is FULLY functional with the FMS simulator supplied with the kit.

I suspect - but can't verify firsthand - that it will function with any other simulator the original cable would have worked with.

Once again - many thanks to markf007 for his cheap, (cheaper than another garbage cable) and easy (if I did anyone can do it) solution to an unnecessarily frustrating issue.

Highly recommended to anyone finding themselves in this position. (see above in posts by markf007 for the details)

Cheers
HendryC
Last edited by hendryc; Feb 21, 2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Added final sentence.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:35 AM
Joined Jan 2011
21 Posts
FYI...It seems that not all SKY-705 Transmitters have the overrun issue. I purchased a new Skyartec Cessna 182 today and the SKY-705 Transmitter does not have the overrun issue.

Regards,
Mark
Old Mar 19, 2011, 06:29 PM
Coventry. England.
Joined Jan 2011
15 Posts
Ive got 2 wires come off my 703 transmitter 5 pin din. Any idea on this pin config Mark? I believe several of the pins are linked by the looks of it. I'm going to post a general request on the forum.
vandino is offline Find More Posts by vandino
Old Mar 19, 2011, 08:57 PM
Joined Jan 2011
21 Posts
Sorry Vandino. I don't own a 703.

But if you note Max's comments in this forum thread he does state that:

The "programming" cable with the simple USB plug has not changed for any of the versions of Skyartec Tx models 703 or 705.

If you do have access to your dealer then this should always be your first port of call and especially if the unit is under warranty.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 09:23 AM
Coventry. England.
Joined Jan 2011
15 Posts
Yep, I agree with what you're saying but this make is only available via tinternet AFAIK. Its a simple wiring job but I don't want to burn anything out of course. Looking at your diagram I noticed only 4 of the 5 pins are used. For sure, I have 5 wires. That is unless one was unconnected and just tucked into the plug BUT it was cut back which made me think it had been 'soldered' on. Also, it appears that several pins are bent and connected together. Someone will whip the back off theres I'm sure. Fortunately the tx side is fine so I had a little hover this morning. YAY.
vandino is offline Find More Posts by vandino