HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 02, 2011, 12:23 AM
Angry Ginger Racing!
Joined Jan 2011
5 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Dell Server PSU - Model NPS330BB A

Hi All,

I got a hold of this PSU and couldn't find a how to on getting this supply modded for charger duties..

Anyhow, after some tinkering I Figured out how to do it.

It's pretty simple..
In this picture you can see the red/yellow leads soldered to the board.
That is the switched lead (for those that converted PC power supplies it's like the green wire).

However, I'd only get the supply to light up for a moment.
Putting a small light bulb on the 5V side kept it powered up.

After seeing the voltage drop to 11.4 w/ a 11-12A load, I decided to check and see if there was an adjustment pot. Found them both, and now with 11A I only drop to 11.9V.
The pots used are behind the fan on the edge connector side of the PSU.
There are two pots on the left, and one on the right. The ones to use are the upper one of the pair on the left, and the one on the right. Turning them both to full stop to the left gave me a 12.4V idle voltage and as stated above 11.9v @ 11amp.

Hope this helps others who can get this supply nice and cheap.



EDIT: The two leads used to power the unit on incorrect in my photo. The lead on the far left (red wire) just needs to be grounded.
After doing that, the supply throws down over 12A with out flinching (Steady 12.4-12.3v, before fixing the wiring it dropped to 11.9)

I'll upload new pics of my supply once I finish the rest of the mods.
PhotoGreg is offline Find More Posts by PhotoGreg
Last edited by PhotoGreg; Feb 04, 2011 at 10:28 PM. Reason: change for wiring..
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2011, 02:09 AM
Registered User
lipoflyer's Avatar
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
awesome, detailed photos.

thanks!

lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2011, 02:50 PM
Angry Ginger Racing!
Joined Jan 2011
5 Posts
btw: These are going for about 20 bucks on ebay.

What I like about it, is that it's nice and compact and pretty steady under load.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
PhotoGreg is offline Find More Posts by PhotoGreg
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2011, 03:43 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2009
14 Posts
I killed me a HP 750 watt

I'll have to "find" another psu
ianmac is offline Find More Posts by ianmac
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2011, 12:54 PM
Registered User
Bellbrook, Oh
Joined Jul 2008
102 Posts
Thank very much for this post, i was going to give up, I will give it a try
madatme is offline Find More Posts by madatme
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2011, 01:05 PM
Registered User
Bellbrook, Oh
Joined Jul 2008
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoGreg View Post
Hi All,

I got a hold of this PSU and couldn't find a how to on getting this supply modded for charger duties..

Anyhow, after some tinkering I Figured out how to do it.

It's pretty simple..
In this picture you can see the red/yellow leads soldered to the board.
That is the switched lead (for those that converted PC power supplies it's like the green wire).

However, I'd only get the supply to light up for a moment.
Putting a small light bulb on the 5V side kept it powered up.

After seeing the voltage drop to 11.4 w/ a 11-12A load, I decided to check and see if there was an adjustment pot. Found them both, and now with 11A I only drop to 11.9V.
The pots used are behind the fan on the edge connector side of the PSU.
There are two pots on the left, and one on the right. The ones to use are the upper one of the pair on the left, and the one on the right. Turning them both to full stop to the left gave me a 12.4V idle voltage and as stated above 11.9v @ 11amp.

Hope this helps others who can get this supply nice and cheap.



EDIT: The two leads used to power the unit on incorrect in my photo. The lead on the far left (red wire) just needs to be grounded.
After doing that, the supply throws down over 12A with out flinching (Steady 12.4-12.3v, before fixing the wiring it dropped to 11.9)

I'll upload new pics of my supply once I finish the rest of the mods.
maybe a 10ohm 10 watt resistor might work in place of the bulb ? sorta like on the small ps when converting
madatme is offline Find More Posts by madatme
Last edited by madatme; Feb 06, 2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: add-on
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2011, 06:23 PM
Angry Ginger Racing!
Joined Jan 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madatme View Post
maybe a 10ohm 10 watt resistor might work in place of the bulb ? sorta like on the small ps when converting
I am running a 7Ohm 10w now. The light was temporary as my resisters were in the garage and I was being lazy. lol.


Glad to help!
PhotoGreg is offline Find More Posts by PhotoGreg
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 09:10 PM
Registered User
Bellbrook, Oh
Joined Jul 2008
102 Posts
I have got mine running and i used a 10ohm 10 watt resistor, seems to be ok so far. I mounted the resistor inside, by the weekend i will post a pic on what it looks like with the hardware
madatme is offline Find More Posts by madatme
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 03:18 PM
Registered User
Bellbrook, Oh
Joined Jul 2008
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madatme View Post
I have got mine running and i used a 10ohm 10 watt resistor, seems to be ok so far. I mounted the resistor inside, by the weekend i will post a pic on what it looks like with the hardware
I got the ps up and running with attached hardware, in the 1st pic you can see the power resistor glued to the side in front of the fan, 2nd pic shows where the switch and posted are, be careful when choosing a spot so the hardware will have room and the cover will go back on( from the circuit board dimensions-switch 105mm x50mmx35mm offset see pic, red and black posts are 125mmx20mm all hardware from radio shack, 3rd pic shows the slot i cut out with a bench grinder for the wires(remove fan 1st) and used silicone sealer to cover the wires after the cover was put back on. Any questions let me know and thanks Greg and everyone for your help.

Update on how it works-the fans run slow and quiet, charged a 5s 3600 at wide open throttle and the voltage stayed close to 11.9-12v, the ps only got warm, temp gun says 95deg at the power resistor outside the case, did this for several batterys, so with 4 ps runnning at the same time there was not much noise at all-very happy with the results
glad to be of help and Thanks again
Greg B
madatme is offline Find More Posts by madatme
Last edited by madatme; Feb 26, 2011 at 06:30 AM. Reason: update
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:07 PM
Angry Ginger Racing!
Joined Jan 2011
5 Posts
Thats very cool Madatme, I may have to do something similar. Love how clean yours looks..
PhotoGreg is offline Find More Posts by PhotoGreg
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 06:31 AM
Registered User
Bellbrook, Oh
Joined Jul 2008
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoGreg View Post
Thats very cool Madatme, I may have to do something similar. Love how clean yours looks..
Greg, see my update and Thanks

Greg B
madatme is offline Find More Posts by madatme
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2011, 01:52 PM
Registered User
USA, OK, Ardmore
Joined Nov 2006
31 Posts
i have a couple of NPS-330AB power supplies i would part with for 100.00 shipped lower 48, they are unmodded. i was going to post tehm in the fs section but cant find the correct area as to where they should go
lordraptor1 is offline Find More Posts by lordraptor1
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:00 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
1 Posts
Too hot?

If your running the PSU in a small space, add the 5 volt line to pin 5
Diagram1{
|1|2|3|4|5| 6 | 7 | GROUND8 | 9 |5 Volt10|11|12|
}
The single pin next to the 12 volt line. is the fan "switch"

Can anyone identify the functions of 1,2,4,5,9,11 and 12 (number system is as defined in Diagram 1)
Lukes Custom is offline Find More Posts by Lukes Custom
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 09:20 AM
Registered User
Brazil
Joined Jul 2007
18 Posts
I'm running the PSU with 5R/20W in 5V line. At 12V line is 12,37V without load and 12,4V @ 16A.

Very happy
diegostf is offline Find More Posts by diegostf
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:31 PM
Will fly for food.
Jonathan Ott's Avatar
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Jul 2002
422 Posts
Okay, bumping up an old thread, but I just scored a couple of thes PS. Where does the 10Ω10W resistor tap into? one end is grounded, the other end goes to what pad on the output tabs?

Thanks,

Jon
Jonathan Ott is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Ott
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Converting PSU AcBel model FS7023 and FS9032 pluto_26 Power Systems 1 Feb 15, 2014 09:33 AM
Discussion IBM server PSU for dc supply freakystyley Batteries and Chargers 2 Jul 18, 2011 09:40 AM
Idea Please Help! Modding 12VDC 32Amp Server PSU RockDragon DIY Electronics 6 Jun 04, 2011 08:03 PM
Discussion Dell Server PSU for charging? tonkajeep34 Batteries and Chargers 3 May 21, 2010 11:03 PM
Discussion Dell Server Power Supply Red Scholefield Batteries and Chargers 18 Aug 26, 2007 04:06 PM