HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2011, 07:21 PM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
Discussion
New Failsafe product ? Ruby

Have you guys seen this it looks interesting and has some definite FPV uses I would think
http://www.uthere.com/products/ruby/..._aircraft.html
hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2011, 07:46 PM
It just keeps getting better!
Eureka, CA
Joined Oct 2002
1,529 Posts
Too bad it doesn't have an OSD built in. Maybe they can provide one as an add on.
Otherwise you will need to hack it or put up with using two
gps's, two airspeed indicators etc. It would be much better if it was all integrated.
Blue Sky is online now Find More Posts by Blue Sky
Old Feb 01, 2011, 07:49 PM
Senior Gravity Checker
Tampa, Florida
Joined Mar 2001
1,043 Posts
I spoke with the designer by email. He is going to add an OSD and has FPV in mind while designing his product. I invited him here to post and tell everyone about his project. Seems like a nice guy.

I cannot see why they like the Merlin so much as a beginner plane. I suggested the Easystar for obvious reasons.

-Ken
kist2001 is offline Find More Posts by kist2001
Old Feb 01, 2011, 08:11 PM
It's pronounced Caveman...
Reno, NV
Joined Nov 2009
437 Posts
Would be interesting if it integrated with other OSD's, like remzibi, making it an alternative to an ardupilot module.
c4v3man is offline Find More Posts by c4v3man
Old Feb 01, 2011, 08:32 PM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uTHERE
Ruby complete system for your aircraft.
Yup, without OSD its not so 'complete'.

BB
borneobear is online now Find More Posts by borneobear
Old Feb 01, 2011, 11:00 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,702 Posts
That Ruby looks really cool I have to admit.
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Feb 01, 2011, 11:36 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,360 Posts
RVOSD Gen 5 will have all of that (except maybe not airspeed sensor), an OSD (with dedicated graphics processor), and much more.
patricklupo is online now Find More Posts by patricklupo
Old Feb 02, 2011, 03:30 PM
Eureka, CA
Joined Oct 2002
1,529 Posts
The fact that it uses GPS to restrict where it will function and how far the plane can fly would seem to be harbingers of things to come.
It might allay many people's fears if our planes can be prevented from flying in restricted air space.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 05:37 PM
North London ENGLAND
Joined Dec 2006
1,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sky View Post
The fact that it uses GPS to restrict where it will function and how far the plane can fly would seem to be harbingers of things to come.
It might allay many people's fears if our planes can be prevented from flying in restricted air space.
You mean the many people who don't know about hacking and improving?
Having said that, what SHOULD prevent flying in restricted airspace is a sense of responsibility. Which should be taught in schools instead of court rooms after the event.
macboffin is offline Find More Posts by macboffin
Old Feb 19, 2011, 06:39 PM
Eureka, CA
Joined Oct 2002
1,529 Posts
"You mean the many people who don't know about hacking and improving?"
Definitely.
I'm thinking of the "toy" planes that you find at hobby and toy stores.
The ones you find under the Christmas tree with the picture of the smiling father and son
on the box that usually wind up as scrap by the end of the day.
We are now in a golden age for electric planes. Many of the newer beginner planes
are decent and may actually survive long enough for someone to learn to fly them.
One of the trends is for beginner planes is to come with rudimentary autopilots.
I'm thinking in particular of the Horizon Hobby Supercub with the "ACT" anticrash module. Cell phones have driven the cost of gyros and accelerometers down.
The day may come where IMU's and GPS guidance systems are cheap enough to put
on OTC RC model planes. Imagine a plane that can be programmed to fly circuits on it's own and allow more pilot control as the student improves.
FPV could be available as an add on module.
It would also prevent a 10 yr old who lives near an airport from letting loose a plane capable of flying for miles.
The alternative may be a box that includes an application for the AMA and list of approved flying sites or no box under the tree at all!
Old Aug 30, 2011, 08:52 PM
United States, MA, Tyngsborough
Joined Jun 2010
286 Posts
Ruby - Review

I have had my Ruby (Uthere.com) for a few weeks. It has saved my plane several times. When the transmitter looses signal. it uses it's GPS and turns around and comes home.
Now that I think about it ... I guess I am now flying further than I used to because I know if there is a radio-ange or battery-ife problem, Ruby will bring my plane back.

It also is a great FPV experence because you can command Ruby to hold position and it will side slide if there is any wind or circle if no wind. You can watch your video without worrying that you will loose control. This is the best FPV tool I have.
OwlPic is offline Find More Posts by OwlPic
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:24 AM
Bedford, Mass. USA
Joined Dec 2007
386 Posts
Owl, I just got mine last week and have yet to set it up. My first plan is to put it into my Radian Pro.

Java
javabeans is offline Find More Posts by javabeans
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:12 AM
Portland, OR
Joined Feb 2007
1,356 Posts
Is this easy to setup?
WBFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WBFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2011, 11:25 AM
United States, MA, Tyngsborough
Joined Jun 2010
286 Posts
Setup is really easy, but I must admit, looking at it the first time didn't seem like it. Mostly you just attach like an ESC. You do need to put the Pitot tube where the air can get it but thats about it.
OwlPic is offline Find More Posts by OwlPic
Old Sep 05, 2011, 07:10 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,819 Posts
Ruby Installed

I am putting the Ruby on a Hobbyzone SuperCub to see how it works. Very straight forward to install, and the SuperCub has a lot of room to put everything. I took out the original servos and Rx to replace with a Spektrum AR600 and digital Spektrum micro servos. The ESC is a Jeti 30, although I only needed a ESC for 15 amps max. You need a BEC, so I disconnected the BEC from the Jeti, and installed a UBEC I had on the shelf.

Everything went well, and now I will getting configuration files from Uthere.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge