HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Dora Nine, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 02:43 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,634 Posts
Discussion
Slow build/upgrade of the tug South Hampton

A few weeks ago, I snatched up a good deal on here of the RC model tug the South Hampton. I've been toying with picking one of these tugs for some time now, but more often than not, the model has been out of stock at various US retailers. Anyway, I now have one and the upgrades have begun.

My ultimate goal is to have a tug that operates much like a real tug. Probably the biggest and most expensive upgrade is to have the tugs motors to be independently operated much like the are on the tug I operate at work. I plan on doing this with the help of a Robbe F-14 radio and two ESC's. I also want to have a working tow winch to tow barge(s) that I'll be making myself in the coming months. Lastly, the fendering of the model, IMHO, is cheesy and the tires had to go.

As the title states, this will be slow upgrade process. After all here in NH we are in the dead of winter so it'll be a while before this boat will hit any water other than my bath tub.
Dora Nine is online now Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Last edited by Dora Nine; Feb 04, 2011 at 12:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2011, 05:18 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Coastal Maine
Joined Jun 2007
856 Posts
Looks good John!
graphixman is offline Find More Posts by graphixman
Old Feb 01, 2011, 09:25 PM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,034 Posts
Gee John, A tug driver playing with a little bitty tug boat Looking good!!!!
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Feb 02, 2011, 08:28 AM
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,634 Posts
Yeah, thanks guys. I hope to either buy the radio or both of the ESC's this nex time at work. I have a few other projects going on too...so no rush on this one.
Old Jun 01, 2011, 07:23 PM
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,634 Posts
Update: 06-01-11

Small update: I installed almost 2 pounds of fishing weights to bring down the waterline to a more scale look. So far, I'm pretty happy with the boats performance, I kinda wish it had a bit more backing and rudder power, but aside from that, the boat handles well and the extra weight makes the boat ride well through the waves. I still have a ton of work to do, but for now here's how she stands. And of course, here's a few pics I took the other day at a local lake.