Dick J is online now Find More Posts by Dick J
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:26 PM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,198 Posts
Thanks!

Now Jeff needs to bring his blankie to build night so I can see how well that stuff will work.
kpeevyhouse is online now Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:29 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Jun 2008
4,641 Posts
He he he a build night and were talking sewing ?????
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:33 PM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,198 Posts
That's right! It's always fun to play with a new gadget!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:40 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Jun 2008
4,641 Posts
Yea I know, hopefully I ll be playing with my new gadget tomorrow, just finished the M60
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:07 AM
Works to Fly
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2007
2,497 Posts
Keith
Some kidding aside, your spider covers look nice! I'm going to precut my Mylar for the Raging Hare. Do I allow about an 1.5" all the way around for the wings? Just curious.
Slopedaddy is online now Find More Posts by Slopedaddy
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:46 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyl View Post
Yeah, first day testing it. I really need to get an editor though (Vegas Pro?).
Save yourself several hundred bux and get Sony Movie Studio Platinum. I have Vegas Pro on my desktop computer and Imagination Studio 4 (which includes Movie Studio Platinum) on my Vaio laptop and I actually prefer using Movie Studio.

Pete
PGR is online now Find More Posts by PGR
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:35 AM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR View Post
Save yourself several hundred bux and get Sony Movie Studio Platinum. I have Vegas Pro on my desktop computer and Imagination Studio 4 (which includes Movie Studio Platinum) on my Vaio laptop and I actually prefer using Movie Studio.

Pete
Thanks Pete, yeah, was looking at that as well. With my budget I don't think I'll be spending $600 on a editor.

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:30 AM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeevyhouse View Post
Really? That silver bubble wrap seems like it would do a great job of padding the wings. Those blankets could work, but I envision the linkages and corners of the ailerons catching on the fabric as I slide the wings in and out. I guess I need to see the stuff in person.

And no handbags for me. I couldn't possibly find any fabric to match my heels...
I got you a big heavier one today from HF...but it may be too thick. I also have the thinner quilted ones that I think will be tough, protective, and easy to sew! Then I also have the uber thick pro ones that will take a sailing sewing machine to stich up...no way on that one!
So far I have used a fairly thick quilted bed cover from my Grandmas, that was my first attempt, and is for a German 3 Meter I have. It has outside linkages, and does not have any trouble going in n out, on the other hand, my silver ones from RCRCM do hang up when the ailerons or flaps are not just perfect. That soft white plastic they glue/stich inside does tend to catch and rip up from time to time...but they will offer plenty of protection with min. Weight gain.
The problem I have seen is some needles need to be heavier if thick or denim materials are used. I have done some sail repair for my windsurfing past, and when I had a couple of different sail boats...but that was all hand stitching, and a pain in the neck. Thread you could hang by!
I'll try and bring by all the samples I have on build night, and you can decide for yourselves.....now back to blog catch up...

Jeff
oletimer is offline Find More Posts by oletimer
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:48 AM
Driven by Passion!
Joined Feb 2009
119 Posts
Jonathan,

Nice video. I love my go pro. I have been shooting in 1080p at 60 fps. The color seems great, no stop action, jerky filming and the sun is a huge bright white ball and not a black dot. Very cool.

OK so I watch your video a couple of time and nobody mentioned it, but you flew your Mamba right through the center of that Gazebo. That was some nice flying!

Dave
Dana Pt Dave is offline Find More Posts by Dana Pt Dave
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:52 AM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazfone View Post
Keith
Some kidding aside, your spider covers look nice! I'm going to precut my Mylar for the Raging Hare. Do I allow about an 1.5" all the way around for the wings? Just curious.
hee hee... some kidding aside, but not all of it?

You'd be surprised that you don't need all that much extra space around the perimeter of the wing. I'm guessing I ended up with about 1/2" extra, but the fit is fairly tight. You can go ahead and cut it with that 1.5" extra (just to be safe) and we'll sew it as close to the wing as you want it. Then you trim off the excess perimeter to get a nice and even edge.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:25 AM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Pt Dave View Post
Jonathan,

Nice video. I love my go pro. I have been shooting in 1080p at 60 fps. The color seems great, no stop action, jerky filming and the sun is a huge bright white ball and not a black dot. Very cool.

OK so I watch your video a couple of time and nobody mentioned it, but you flew your Mamba right through the center of that Gazebo. That was some nice flying!

Dave
Thanks Dave, it was pretty light today and so rotor was at a minimum. I've heard it had been done, but that was my first attempt to do it.

That was shot at 30 fps, are you saying that if I shot it at 60 it would be brighter? I was a bit disappointed at how dark it looked with the sun in the background.

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:43 AM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,198 Posts
Very cool Jonathan!

One time I unintentionally made the attempt to fly through that gazebo. But I hit the roof. Luckily, it was just an old combat wing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:00 AM
Joined Nov 2006
148 Posts
Trisme, are you going to lilys today....it might be flyable and I want to get a checkout.

Let me know if you head over there...im building all day and checking the boards.

By the way...whats a good weather site for wind checking lilys?

tbogey
tbogey is offline Find More Posts by tbogey
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:59 AM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,499 Posts
Hi Troy,
I'm working today until 2-3 o'clock, hopefully I can sneak out there after that. To start the process, have a current AMA card with you, download and read the glider permit rules and forms for Lilly Shappel Park on the city's website.
Tom
TRISME is online now Find More Posts by TRISME