SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:08 PM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
993 Posts
What Jonathan said! You're braver than I am. What does it weigh? Length? Never say die!
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:20 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Oh and Jordan, wear a mask when you sand that stuff, it's pretty nasty especially if/when you begin sanding the sock material.

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:40 PM
Works to Fly
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2007
2,497 Posts
Browns Bluff

Just got back from BB and it was the biggest lift I've been in: I clocked it at 25 steady and gusting to 34 at one point. Put some ballast in the Genesis and it was blazing fast but still landed nice. The Mamba did good as well. Met a couple of locals named Tony and Jason who were sloping a T28 foamy with a pound of lead in it. It did good. They told me they have that type of wind almost every day.
Slopedaddy is online now Find More Posts by Slopedaddy
Last edited by Slopedaddy; Jan 21, 2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:45 PM
Works to Fly
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2007
2,497 Posts
Sock job

Jordan
Sorry the Genesis didn't come out the way you wanted it to. It should clean up nice with a good sanding and a gloss coat. That thing is now indestructible
Slopedaddy is online now Find More Posts by Slopedaddy
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:12 PM
Joined Nov 2006
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazfone View Post
Just got back from BB and it was the biggest lift I've been in: I clocked it at 25 steady and gusting to 34 at one point. Put some ballast in the Genesis and it was blazing fast but still landed nice. The Mamba did good as well. Met a couple of locals named Tony and Jason who were sloping a T28 foamy with a pound of lead in it. It did good. They told me they have that type of wind almost every day.
I know that place is awesome...I was there on saturday and it was the same type of conditions.

cheers

Troy "tbogey" Bogert
tbogey is offline Find More Posts by tbogey
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:18 PM
United States, CA, Trabuco Canyon
Joined Aug 2008
1,490 Posts
Hey Dave

Glad to hear your daughter is feeling great again, kids are a scarry thing. I do not know if you remember me, but you helped on my first LEG in your garage. That was 6 planes ago. You need to come out to Waynes, it is not so much of a build party but a great gathering of minds. Oh yeah and we have one great flyer that cooks fantastic hot dogs. All the people who attend are just nice people willing to aways help.

Rick
Rick T. is offline Find More Posts by Rick T.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:09 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,330 Posts
These pics are after sanding and wiping the whole plane with a wet rag to get the dust off (yes I had the mask,gloves,long sleeve shirt, etc when sanding). TE seams cleaned up ok, but there are still some rough spots that didn't laminate right and kinda look like the wing saddle, but they are much smaller. Good point on the wiring, I also have to put the wing bolts in as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyl View Post
Jordan that looks about par for the course and not so bad at all. What I would do is sand down the seams and make sure every where is nice and smooth. Once done give it a thin coat of resin and you should be good to go. The saddle area may require some bondo but really if the rim area is smooth you should be fine and besides that aren't you going to be cutting a whole in the saddle for wiring?

-Jonathan
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:47 PM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parplyr View Post
Hey Dave

Glad to hear your daughter is feeling great again, kids are a scarry thing. I do not know if you remember me, but you helped on my first LEG in your garage. That was 6 planes ago. You need to come out to Waynes, it is not so much of a build party but a great gathering of minds. Oh yeah and we have one great flyer that cooks fantastic hot dogs. All the people who attend are just nice people willing to aways help.

Rick
Hi Rick. I do remember. That was fun I am glad that you have stayed with it. It would be great to see you guys again.

Dave
DWA is offline Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:50 PM
DWA
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67econoline View Post
Hi Dave
Its nice to hear your daughter is better now. Terrible time for you and your family. I met you at fake fest. Hope that one day we can fly together.

Wayne is in aliso veijo near the 20 movie theater.

Rubio
Thanks. I remember you for sure Rubio. That was a great fake fest...

Dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:52 PM
DWA
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME View Post
Dave, glad to hear your daughter is better now. See you at the fest or on the slopes.
Tom
Thanks Tom.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:55 PM
DWA
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyl View Post
Welcome back Dave. Not sure I've met you but I've seen your posts around and look forward to sharing the friendly and sometimes not so friendly skies with you.

Jordan that looks about par for the course and not so bad at all. What I would do is sand down the seams and make sure every where is nice and smooth. Once done give it a thin coat of resin and you should be good to go. The saddle area may require some bondo but really if the rim area is smooth you should be fine and besides that aren't you going to be cutting a whole in the saddle for wiring?

-Jonathan
Thanks Jonathan
We have met but I do not remember the slope.

Dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:58 PM
DWA
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orni-freak View Post
Hey Dave! Good to hear all is well again, looking forward to seeing ya at the fest as well!!

I pulled my socked fuse out this morning, and I'm not happy at all with the finish . Trying to save on expenses I went with 2 different sizes of sock and shrink tube, which meant large visible seams that had to be sanded. The wing saddle is the worst, and will have to be filled. There are also spots where the resin whitened. I used a torch to shrink the tubing on top, I'm thinking I scorched the resin in some places . I might end up filling what I can with bondo and painting it, or just leave it alone. The good news is where the finish was good it looks really good, and the fuse feels like a freaking baseball bat, totally orni-proof !

The complete fuse after sanding
Attachment 5467838

Some of the white spots
Attachment 5467839

The worst of the finish
Attachment 5467840
Thanks
It was great flying with you the few times we met.
Dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:01 PM
DWA
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,567 Posts
Wow if I keep this up I might catch up to Keith.
I doubt it.

Dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:56 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,490 Posts
Dave

You do have to show up at Waynes the first Thursday of the month and re-aquaint with the guys. I can give you directions, just let me know.

Rick
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:57 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,490 Posts
Hey Wayne

Any time frame yet on the 5mm new stuff.

Rick