HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:35 PM
Works to Fly
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2007
2,354 Posts
Mamba balance idea

Jonathan
Shadow, who is a very conscientious builder, balances his wings by hanging them on a piece of fishing line. He pulls a needle through the middle at the desired point and hangs it from a garage rafter. Then you can work on it while its hanging securely.
I don't know about anybody else, but I think it's a brilliant idea.
By the way, mine flies great in big lift and so, so, in light lift. As per Jordan, I'm moving my cg back, too.
Slopedaddy is offline Find More Posts by Slopedaddy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:35 PM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazfone View Post
I think your talking about Alta Laguna Park. I wondered about that place near the ball field and its good to hear it can be done there. Chuck
Actually, I think the backside of TOW he's referring to might mean that really tiny bowl behind the last house. At the normal TOW spot, you can see that fire road. If you walk down that road, just past the last house, you'll see on the left a tiny bowl that faces Northeast (?). Lars says that it's flyable if the wind hits it just right. Lars would have to chime in if I'm wrong.
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:29 PM
Works to Fly
Joined Sep 2007
2,354 Posts
Keith

Keith, that sounds good, too. He mentioned "go north", and "over the fence by the softball field" and Alta Laguna has all that, AND a restroom, so I might go there first just to make sure
Last edited by Slopedaddy; Jan 16, 2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:45 PM
TommyT
USA, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Jul 2010
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeevyhouse View Post
Actually, I think the backside of TOW he's referring to might mean that really tiny bowl behind the last house. At the normal TOW spot, you can see that fire road. If you walk down that road, just past the last house, you'll see on the left a tiny bowl that faces Northeast (?). Lars says that it's flyable if the wind hits it just right. Lars would have to chime in if I'm wrong.
No no no...lol I'm talking about the other end... North side of tow, where the softball field is at (the park).
Is this my buddy Kieth? Add me, you know me TommyT... btw just checked on the map and its more north north north 10* facing
tctnln is offline Find More Posts by tctnln
Last edited by tctnln; Jan 16, 2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:48 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazfone View Post
Jonathan
Shadow, who is a very conscientious builder, balances his wings by hanging them on a piece of fishing line. He pulls a needle through the middle at the desired point and hangs it from a garage rafter. Then you can work on it while its hanging securely.
I don't know about anybody else, but I think it's a brilliant idea.
By the way, mine flies great in big lift and so, so, in light lift. As per Jordan, I'm moving my cg back, too.
There was a model that called for balancing in that manner. The "centroid" (I think) was measured and then a screw eye was threaded into that spot. Then you balanced it front to back and laterally too. May have been the "Gryphon" or something like that.
Tom
TRISME is online now Find More Posts by TRISME
Last edited by TRISME; Jan 16, 2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:03 PM
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,146 Posts
I think it was one of these, or it's predecessor.
Last edited by TRISME; Jan 30, 2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:05 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,322 Posts
Johnathan, ALL wings with sweepback (except planks and forward-swept wings) become unstable at or close to stall speed, and wobble to some degree (this isn't talking about just flying wings). The Mamba was designed with versatility in mind, and is as resistant to tip-stalls as possible. Even so, a wing can only fly so slow. Ive tried little tip winglets just for the heck of it, and it really made no difference. If your in the area this weekend and there's wind we will tune it right. It still sounds nose-heavy since it should only need a small amount of down stick to fly inverted.
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:11 PM
Works to Fly
Joined Sep 2007
2,354 Posts
Fluffy Bunny

Jordan, did you do a Fluffy Bunny build thread? Thought you might have but I can't find it
If you have one, please shoot me a link. My shop is warm now. Time to build
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:25 PM
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,146 Posts
Had to measure mine. It's a little more than 6 1/2" from the nose and it flys well inverted with a little down elev. It always has a little up trim in the elevons. I may move it back more now. I don't have a scale that will weigh it.
Tom
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:26 AM
What goes up, must come down..
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Sep 2011
565 Posts
PicaSim

Anybody else given PicaSim, the rewrite of Slope Soaring Simulator (SSS), a try? Now has a very usable UI and seems pretty good. Actually flyable on an Android phone and/or iPad using tilt control, but way way better on the PC with a sim cable and real Tx.

I haven't gotten the hang of real DSing down yet and wondering if the physics are at all realistic...

PicaSim - Flight simulator for radio controlled aircraft (5 min 30 sec)

Jay
ZeroPitch is offline Find More Posts by ZeroPitch
Last edited by ZeroPitch; Jan 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:44 AM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
My high tech balancing act

So I shifted the CG back a 1/4" to 6.75" and was able to shave off 0.75oz for an AUW of 674g/23.75oz. Skeptical on if I will be able to fly it or not today as we have the Halfass Ana's blowing today. Thinking about hitting up the Old Quarry near the Torrance Airport at PCH and Hawthorne but forecasts are only predicting a miserly 4mph NNE.

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:54 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,657 Posts
Putting PicaSim on my phone now.
Rotozuk is online now Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:59 AM
United States, CA, Trabuco Canyon
Joined Aug 2008
1,389 Posts
Question

Once the spackling is sanded and ready for tape, what is the best way to remove any residue from the spackle
Rick T. is offline Find More Posts by Rick T.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:22 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,657 Posts
PicaSim on the phone is fun with a little practice.. Going to the bathroom will be my new flying time. Use the virtual sticks, then pick a better plane, add some ballast, pick up the wind and enjoy!

-Wayne
Rotozuk is online now Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:56 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
New member/flyer: controller issues

Heyyy everyone!

My name is Alex I have been flying off and on since i was fourteen. I am a local to the San Diego region on land and in the water. I decided to go "all in" on the hobby, buying a new Optic 6 controller and Matin's M60 from NCFM website. I recently came across some receiver controller issues....

When i turn on the plane the receiver's LED glows red, good, i then turn on the controller, its LED glows red and then beeps 4 times indicating the link was successful. But then the controller's blue LED glows solid on and the red LED starts to flicker.

I hope someone can shed some light on this problem, i would love to get back to flying this awesome plane. Attached are some photos.
surfORfly is offline Find More Posts by surfORfly