Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:11 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,076 Posts
I added a similar ballast setup on mine before. I had them oriented side to side centered on the CG though.
TRISME is online now Find More Posts by TRISME
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:13 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick J View Post
You are amazing me I hope Jordan pipes in cause I think you are tail heavy !!!

24 oz is light but OK are you sure at that weight you had a 6.5 CG from the LE ???
Pretty sure. I double checked it after the maiden. I don't have any of the fancy CG stands or equipment though. I marked the 6.5oz mark from LE with a marker then used two dowels stuck in a 1x4 and tried to balance the wing on it and it seemed to be true. The dowels are a bit flimsy though.

-Jonathan

EDIT: Tail heavy eh? Hrmmm... I don't know jack about planks and have forgotten anything I knew about wings, but what you are saying is a tail heavy wing will tend to dive when inverted and require more up (aka down elevator) to remain neutral?
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:21 PM
Hump or Death?
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Oct 2012
386 Posts
Friday Morning East

If the forecast calls for any eastish wind on Friday, I'm thinking about checking out the glider launch at Ortega (or one of the other spots near by) Friday morning. If anyone wants to join me let me know and I'll meet you somewhere and we can load my truck up and go.

If it's a bust it won't be an hour + drive back.

--
John
O.G. Gamesta is offline Find More Posts by O.G. Gamesta
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:27 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Jun 2008
4,287 Posts
The other way around Jonathan a nose heavy plane will dive on inverted !!!!! requiring more down ( for up )
Dick J is online now Find More Posts by Dick J
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:31 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
The other way around Jonathan a nose heavy plane will dive on inverted !!!!! requiring more down ( for up )
Ok... then why'd you say you thought it was nose heavy or did you miss read what I said? I'm not yet satisfied with it as it is since it requires what i think is too much down input hen inverted in order to stay level, although everyone is swearing by 6.5" CG so I'm confused. As mentioned, I will shift to 6.75" and see how it feels.

-Jonathan
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:35 PM
Joined Jun 2008
4,287 Posts
No I said I think its tail heavy, but if you say you re adding a LOT of down on inverted its nose heavy but if thats the case it should be OK. I m confused at 24 OZ I dont know HOW you are nose heavy !!!!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:39 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Hrm... I can't see how knowing the AUW could give you an inkling of whether or not it's tail or nose heavy, but then I really don't know much about wings.

As said, and shown in the picture I DO have weights I'm adding to the nose to balance it. IIRC its 86.5g/3oz on the nose for balance.

-Jonathan
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:47 PM
Summer... is my time of year
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
6,666 Posts
For what its worth ...mine doesn't fly well inverted at all.
But i never changed that. It just makes me an easier target

Rubio
who put targets on his plane??

Bright huh
67econoline is online now Find More Posts by 67econoline
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:48 PM
Joined Jun 2008
4,287 Posts
Sounds about right mine took 7 oz in the nose just to balance it !!! and it weights around 29 oz
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:54 PM
Joined Jun 2008
4,287 Posts
Jonathan

OK just talked to Kevin we think maybe when you connected your elevons maybe you set them to high ???? That would make it seem nose heavy inverted but in all ways and means you are just simply dragging the Mamba down thats why you have to give it down to keep it up !!!!!! MAYBE
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:55 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Well hopefully get a chance to test it again tomorrow. Moving the CG back should be good as I'm not excited about having to bury the balancing weight where it's at. I think it's a bit close to the LE. Might also be able to get away with it by removing a tungsten thingamabob too which would make it a tad lighter too

-Jonathan
who needs to find his work bench again...
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:57 PM
TommyT
USA, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Jul 2010
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyl View Post
Didn't know ToTW had a backside.

I got some Mamba time in at lunch. I'm feeling a little more at ease with it now, and I think the next step is to start walking the CG back a tad in hopes it has a little more neutral inverted performance. Other than that it flew quite nicely in the light Fermin lift.

I also took a short hike down the hill to pick up shum schwing.

-Jonathan
Yup yup... Used to fly Santa Ana winds there a lot. Go to the top and head north to the softball field. Walk out to the outfield over the fence and check it out. My sr7 loved it there. Watched Lars blow through a tree with his sr7 and kept flying lol. Was lot better back in the day but I think all the new development messed it up. I will be sure to be there Saturday with the sr7. I read the winds are going to be nne 18mph.
tctnln is offline Find More Posts by tctnln
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:58 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
OK just talked to Kevin we think maybe when you connected your elevons maybe you set them to high ???? That would make it seem nose heavy inverted but in all ways and means you are just simply dragging the Mamba down thats why you have to give it down to keep it up !!!!!! MAYBE
Cool, can you have him look at these pics?

-Jonathan
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:01 PM
Joined Jun 2008
4,287 Posts
Dont know if its turned on or not but one does look a little up and the other looks like its down ????
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:21 PM
Works to Fly
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2007
2,271 Posts
TOW backside

I think your talking about Alta Laguna Park. I wondered about that place near the ball field and its good to hear it can be done there. Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctnln View Post
Yup yup... Used to fly Santa Ana winds there a lot. Go to the top and head north to the softball field. Walk out to the outfield over the fence and check it out. My sr7 loved it there. Watched Lars blow through a tree with his sr7 and kept flying lol. Was lot better back in the day but I think all the new development messed it up. I will be sure to be there Saturday with the sr7. I read the winds are going to be nne 18mph.
Slopedaddy is offline Find More Posts by Slopedaddy