Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67econoline View Post
Just flew the Flagpole with John.
Fit to fly the mamba,fox and COBRA!!
Good to hear someone got some good lift! Glad to hear you got to fly one of the rarer spots on you hill too.

Rubio when you say Fox are you talking the original one you picked up from Wayne or have you built up the EPO one? I'm still bummed I only got a very brief flight with you on mine. It sucked as it was actually my maiden flight and I didn't have throws or CG right. I don't think I was able to keep it up for more then a few minutes while your Fox was having a hay day.

I'm glad to finally get something flying recently and now that I have I'm realizing how much I miss flying with my buddies. Will have to rectify that soon. No promises but it's looking like I may have a chance this next Saturday.

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:15 AM
Works to Fly
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2007
2,249 Posts
Whitewater

There's supposed to be a spot across the hill that catches an east wind. The ISR guys fly there. I flew my mamba about 1/2 a mile up the road past where the west hits. It was on a mild east day and the lift was ok. It might be good with some big wind. Check it out next time you go.
Slopedaddy is offline Find More Posts by Slopedaddy
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:20 AM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazfone View Post
There's supposed to be a spot across the hill that catches an east wind. The ISR guys fly there. I flew my mamba about 1/2 a mile up the road past where the west hits. It was on a mild east day and the lift was ok. It might be good with some big wind. Check it out next time you go.
Chuck, your post reads like a pirates treasure map. First off it would help to know which hill are you talking about, so we can look at the spot across the way, travel 1/2 mile up a road, and face where the west wind blows...

-Jonathan
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:10 AM
TommyT
USA, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Jul 2010
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Seems we have a number of active Orange County (California) folks that tend to chat in just about every other thread, so we thought it was about time to start our own thread. Seems like the slope section could use it's own sub category for all the local regions that now have active threads.

-Wayne
Sounds good to bud. Was good to see you at kite hill, lets hope for some good winds this weekend. I have the sr7 and the cobra ready http://m.youtube.com/results?q=tctnusa
tctnln is offline Find More Posts by tctnln
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:25 AM
TommyT
USA, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Jul 2010
26 Posts
Quote:
We all need to do a big Ortega day. That site is really nice, and a HUGE lift zone. Make a picnic day of it.
Im game
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:41 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudi50 View Post
Hi Keith,
only just found your reply thanks, I checked out the link to points of slope, I'll keep a pot on the weather pattern and if if looks to stay consistant I'll make my way down to Flagpole, can you give direcctions from Hy 5 Jut one other point is this a rough road to get up I ask because out last trip up a mountain was scary, we were in Utah for the slope comp and went to Fancis Peak and a truck barreling down the mountain smacked into us I'm talking 4000 ft no railings which now means the wife is scared well she was on the mountain edge side!
David
If you are looking for sites with "good" landing areas, I'd suggest:

Glider Point - a bit of a hike, but easy landing in grass.
Bluff Park - easy landing on grass up top, and right on the beach in Long Beach. Or just land in the sand below.

Most of the rest of the local sites have limited landing areas, but offer better flying.

Keith suggested Top of the World, that is one of my favorites, and would be happy to fly with you there. Great views, good lift and while landing looks hard, it is actually pretty easy for most gliders.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:43 AM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tctnln View Post
Sounds good to bud. Was good to see you at kite hill, lets hope for some good winds this weekend. I have the sr7 and the cobra ready http://m.youtube.com/results?q=tctnusa
Welcome to RC Groups and the OCSS thread. You got a ton of reading to do if you start from page 1 though . Skip to the end and give yourself an introduction so any of us who may have flown with you will know who you are and those of us who haven't will know you when we see ya.

Cheers!

-Jonathan
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:21 AM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,319 Posts
HaD a little build night at keiths house, didn't make much progress teaching me the ropes of bagging but boy does prep-work and bsing take a lot of time out of the night! Good chatting with you guys and thanks again Lars for the new plane !
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:32 AM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,189 Posts
It was good to have you over Jordan. Yes, the prep work can take some time, but it's worth the effort and gets much quicker with practice. In a few months when the days get longer and warmer, I'd like to have more people over on a regular basis for some vacuum bagging lessons.
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:34 AM
TommyT
USA, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Jul 2010
26 Posts
Never Fear TommyT is here but you all should still wear your helmits

Hello to all my name is Tommy. My first flight was with a gentle lady top of misty ridge at the age of 14. I have been through many planes sense then. I found Laguna beach old top of the world when in high school and started flying the sleds and I was hook. Now I'm 43 and loving it with the newer electronics. My planes aria cobra/ SR7/ three Folcwolfs/ P40/ F20 tigershark/ two Noel jones sirrons/ all slopes... For the toys radian/ SU-26 dynam/ T-28 dynam/ Tempest/ and for pure speed sunrace the one for my avatar lol it's back together. So I am now living in Laguna niguel working hard in Dana point living the dream. Now when the winds aren't there I'm at kite hill buzzin around every Sunday so if you are there say hi and shake a hand. Have a nice thermal..

Cool vids of me. http://m.youtube.com/results?q=tctnusa
Last edited by tctnln; Jan 15, 2013 at 02:45 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:19 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,835 Posts
Quote:
If you are looking for sites with "good" landing areas, I'd suggest:

Glider Point - a bit of a hike, but easy landing in grass.
Bluff Park - easy landing on grass up top, and right on the beach in Long Beach.
It's a ways off, but my favorite slope in all of Southern California is Grass Mountain.
  • Park-n-fly.
  • Enormous lift most of the time.
  • Large, grass-covered LZ.

If it wasn't a 200 mile drive (round trip from my home) it would probably be the only place I fly.

Tell you what, fellas: I have a firm rule that I don't put slopes in the PGR pages until I fly them myself, but I might have to bend the rules a little and get the S. Orange County sites you guys fly all the time in there. 'Course I could always just go fly them, but I'm more of a warm weather sloper so that might not happen until spring.

Pete
PGR is online now Find More Posts by PGR
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:20 AM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,189 Posts
C'mon Pete... we'd love to have you join us! I'll buy you some of those hand warmer pouches that you can slip inside your gloves.
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:45 AM
Works to Fly
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2007
2,249 Posts
Jonathan

Harrrrr........that was for the brave souls that went there Sunday but didnt find the west wind they were hoping for. I think it was Rubio and Jeff to name a few. Look it up on the Inland Slope Rebels (ISR) site and Slople. It's well worth going there if you are in the Palm Springs area.
QUOTE=Twyl;23818865]Chuck, your post reads like a pirates treasure map. First off it would help to know which hill are you talking about, so we can look at the spot across the way, travel 1/2 mile up a road, and face where the west wind blows...

-Jonathan[/QUOTE]
Slopedaddy is offline Find More Posts by Slopedaddy
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:12 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR View Post
Tell you what, fellas: I have a firm rule that I don't put slopes in the PGR pages until I fly them myself, but I might have to bend the rules a little and get the S. Orange County sites you guys fly all the time in there. 'Course I could always just go fly them, but I'm more of a warm weather sloper so that might not happen until spring.

Pete
Pete, if you're interested PM me your email address and I'll email you back what was once the Google Earth file you had on your webpage. I've added to it here and there. I also have a file of slope sites in Japan that I'm compiling, not that most anyone reading this thread would have a chance to fly them.

-Jonathan
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:16 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyflew View Post
Brave the cold? Let me send you my gloves!
Andy

Andy, check out this HOT deal

Toro 38361 Power Shovel 7.5 Amp Electric Snow Thrower
List Price: $149.99
Price: $57.84 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
You Save: $92.15 (61%)

-Jonathan