HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:17 AM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,903 Posts
If anyone wants a COMPLETE ready to use nice vacuum pump I"ve got one I'll sell--$125 complete!! Small as the gast --- I think it was Robert Cavazos at one time. Available at my house in So OC!!
Tim
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2011, 03:21 PM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
997 Posts
Where is Misty Ridge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orni-freak View Post
Hey Jeff, bring him and your wings down to Misty Ridge sometime for some good combat fun ! Craig's got a wing too so he'll be able to get some smacks in...
Where is that? I'd gladly drive for the oppertunity to combat against Craig! Hear you are some piolet yourself!

Oletimer/Jeff
oletimer is offline Find More Posts by oletimer
Old Sep 15, 2011, 03:42 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oletimer View Post
Where is that? I'd gladly drive for the oppertunity to combat against Craig! Hear you are some piolet yourself!

Oletimer/Jeff
Check out the thread here for more info: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1142459 there's some wind today might head up this afternoon...
Mr. Combat Certain is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Sep 16, 2011, 02:53 PM
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
997 Posts
Salvador?

Oh... is this the one you used to call El Salvador?
Craig has been flying up there? OK!

I am going to fly some powered stuff Saturday morning out at a place Wayne has told me about, but I need more info on how to get there!
Just got a 1430mm Corsair from a friend up at Kite Hill. Big bird, so want to have plenty of room for first flight. Besides... with the wind deal we have been getting this whole week, I don't think I will be slowping any!

Hey Jordan... How do you get the CG for your wings? Think the two I have are nose heavy. Went to Shappell and tired one, but wind was fairly light, but she went over like a lead balloon.

Oletimer
Old Sep 16, 2011, 03:06 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,669 Posts
Quote:

I am going to fly some powered stuff Saturday morning out at a place Wayne has told me about, but I need more info on how to get there!
Just got a 1430mm Corsair from a friend up at Kite Hill. Big bird, so want to have plenty of room for first flight. Besides... with the wind deal we have been getting this whole week, I don't think I will be slowping any!

Hey Jordan... How do you get the CG for your wings? Think the two I have are nose heavy. Went to Shappell and tired one, but wind was fairly light, but she went over like a lead balloon.

Oletimer

Here is a map for the new experimental electric flight area:
http://g.co/maps/qzbjf

It is marked private road on this map, but the street does actually have a name on a sign. If you click the "satellite" button in the upper right corner, the new road is where the 2 track dirt road is. It is now a wonderful paved runway. There might be some cars parked on it tomorrow. I think the construction guys are parking their cars at the upper end.

Wing balance. I doubt your wing is nose heavy.. They are NEVER nose heavy.
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:45 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,322 Posts
Yup...Salvador, Misty Ridge, same thing ...

what kind of wings do you have? Like all slope planes, your better off tuning the CG on a good day, just make sure your at least in the ball park and that you have a slight amount of up-trim (reflex) in the elevons.

Quote:

Oletimer
Mr. Combat Certain is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:46 PM
Joined Mar 2011
39 Posts
Holy Crap, p51 crashes into the stands at an Air Race in Reno

http://news.yahoo.com/official-more-...004947158.html
sos42sloper is offline Find More Posts by sos42sloper
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:15 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,669 Posts
Sad..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e60_W4tuTNI
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:59 AM
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Mar 2010
409 Posts
It didnt really look like mechanical failure
Heart attack maybe?
High G turn?
Very sad

Update:
3 killed, 56 injured
He called out mayday so it probably was mechanical
stevenmurrell is offline Find More Posts by stevenmurrell
Old Sep 17, 2011, 02:56 AM
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
997 Posts
New Airfield test

Thanks Wayne & Jordan;
I will give it a try tomorrow morning around 9:00ish and will let you know my review of the area.
Jordan;
I got these wings from Lars, they are a bit heavy I think, but will make great combat wings. Not sure of the maker of them. Very stiff and solid. Think I will require 10 - 15 to fly these. Hopefuly we will get some good wind by Sunday when it is to be warming up.

Oletimer
Old Sep 17, 2011, 03:01 AM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,193 Posts
Jeff,

Lars gave you his combat wings? Cool... I hope they get some use, since they haven't been flown in a looooong time.

They are the Prairie Dog by Leading Edge Gliders.

The planes are fast, but tend to be somewhat tip stall-ish.\

-Keith
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:07 PM
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
997 Posts
Thanks Kieth

Wonderful, Yea I have one radio'd up and went to Shappell to try her, but as you can see by the previous post I don't think there was enough wind!
Can't wait to try them. I have only flown with Wayne the UFO powered combat wings and they don't glide at all. This will be new for me.
They feel real sound and stiff. Would think with the weight, they will be good high wind wings too! Will try them out at Lake Hills on a Santa Ana wind day.
Heading over to try out the big Corsair Hope to come back in one piece.
Sunday looks like a possible good glider day. Any plans?
Jeff
Old Sep 17, 2011, 06:21 PM
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Oct 2009
587 Posts
whoopeeeee
its finally blowin
lets go flyin
steeg
steeg is online now Find More Posts by steeg
Old Sep 17, 2011, 11:13 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,199 Posts
It looked pretty good today, unfortunately I could not get out to the slope. Tomorrow may be a different story. I did get to try out Wayne's new runway spot this morning. Pretty cool place. Highlight of the day? 1)Jeff maidening his new big Corsair. 2)Wayne's first attempted take off of Bill's pigeon toed Cub. 3)Me handing the transmitter of my Trojan to Wayne as he asks "How much battery is left?" "Plenty."(I tell him). Then him handing it back, in flight, after it soon goes dead. I should probably just stick to slope planes. Good to see you guys this morning. Call me if you head South tomorrow.
Tom
TRISME is online now Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Sep 17, 2011, 11:58 PM
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
997 Posts
Fun Day

Well Tom... You got to see the good flight!
2nd attempt was the same, but instead of flying between the survey markers... I hit them all like a Pinball wizzard.
I almost have her all back... not too bad but had to work on one retract doors, missing foam on wing, crack closer in on same wing, stearing servo clevis broken/repaired... kinda! and the biggie... one broken blade!
So came home and worked on two of my three planes, then come 5:00 took Lars' wing up to Shappell and now it went great! Forget how to fly them at firsts, but by my 3rd run, I was wacking the brush and inverting, and pumping it on one end and F3fing on the bowl... Fun!
Then went to Kite Hill and flew Radian, and watched the guys do everything they had. Raul has a killer little P-40? that rolls so fast, he dared me to count the rolls... couldn't do it! but we all laughed about it.
All in all... accidents and all... a very good day!
Now if we will have enough wind for Kitesurfing tomorrow... I will be ready for the whole week!

Oletimer