SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:54 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,405 Posts
Hey Jeff, glad you maidened that plane. My DG will fly in 10+ with good lift. 20+mph is pretty darn fun. I've flown it in 35+. It doesn't have ballast capability but weighs about 8lbs.
Tom
TRISME is online now Find More Posts by TRISME
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:55 PM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
1,003 Posts
Thank you

Thanks Keith;
looked at the plane on your link to Wiki and no wonder I don't recall seeing it. It never made production.
Looks like it was flying fine, but would think it has got to have some quirkyness to it somewhere.

Are the winds this weekend projected to be anything, or will it be typical after santa ana no winds?

Jeff
oletimer is online now Find More Posts by oletimer
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:59 PM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
1,003 Posts
Not mine!

Thanx Tom,
I think this one may weigh in at 60 oz. it is very light. I will try it soon here at Lilly if we get around 10 or better. The real kick was the Preditor. think I will fly that too there at Lilly if lift is good and direction right on. But I am going to bring a big moving blanket to throw on the bushes to keep her clean and unscathed
A bit rich for my blood!
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME View Post
Hey Jeff, glad you maidened that plane. My DG will fly in 10+ with good lift. 20+mph is pretty darn fun. I've flown it in 35+. It doesn't have ballast capability but weighs about 8lbs.
Tom
oletimer is online now Find More Posts by oletimer
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:35 PM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oletimer View Post
Thanks Keith;
looked at the plane on your link to Wiki and no wonder I don't recall seeing it. It never made production.
Looks like it was flying fine, but would think it has got to have some quirkyness to it somewhere.

Are the winds this weekend projected to be anything, or will it be typical after santa ana no winds?

Jeff
As I recall, that plane flew just fine. It sure looked strange in flight, even more than than on the ground!

It looks like Saturday afternoon is the best bet for good winds (at least in Laguna Beach), according to Windfinder: http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/laguna_beach
You can go to their California South section to see if there are any forecast locations closer to you: http://www.windfinder.com/forecasts/..._south_akt.htm
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:42 PM
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,405 Posts
Hey Jeff, I didn't realize you were talking about the Little DG I used to have. I still used to fly that in Santa Ana winds. kinda scary! It was happy in 10-15.
Tom
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:55 PM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
The BV-141 is mine. Nice pics, Keith! It flies better than you'd expect, but because of the fairly thin wing, long fuse, and the fact that it's made out of EPE (yes, E) it's somewhat less than rigid even with CF spars, and it twists and bends in ways you might not expect while maneuvering. It definitely turns heads, and I'll probably have it at the PSS fest in May (that's where those pics were taken). There's a build thread on it somewhere in the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oletimer View Post
...no wonder I don't recall seeing it. It never made production...
Maybe not high-rate production typical of WWII fighters and bombers, but there were ~30+ built and some were operational.

On topic: When I get a chance (which is rarely, these days) I like flying at Lilly. Dog Beach, Reef Point, and Seapoint also used to be on my regular list. Hope to fly Laguna some day.

Nauga,
who pulls up to roll left
nauga is offline Find More Posts by nauga
Old Feb 11, 2011, 03:40 AM
fountain valley
Joined Jul 2008
58 Posts
well i feel oligated to add myself to this thread.i think im keone miranda.ive had this sailplane addiction thing now for 20 years.i dont think ill ever beat it.i mainly like to fly fast planes that i can race with.ive been experimenting with my own 60 inch plane for a few months.i think i like building more than flying also.i prefer to fly and race sailplanes,i dont really enjoy aerobatics when flying sailplanes.i like to go as fast as possible from highest possible alttude.i fly lillys and a ouple seceret spots to to out planes.im glad pople are still interested in sailpanes and flying them.......thanks
keone m. is offline Find More Posts by keone m.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:18 PM
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,405 Posts
Hi Keone, there's a 60 " race in Banning on Saturday.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 01:28 PM
fountain valley
Joined Jul 2008
58 Posts
oh really?

where is that at exactly
keone m. is offline Find More Posts by keone m.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 01:37 PM
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keone m. View Post
where is that at exactly
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...414888&page=64

post #952 had directions, it's probably started by now.
Last edited by TRISME; Feb 12, 2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 03:57 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,327 Posts
Goin 2 salvador, anyone wanna join me?
Mr. Combat Certain is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:51 PM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,197 Posts
The wind is looking pretty decent at the moment for Top of the World (10mph West). I think I'll take the minute drive and toss out my Speedo!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:29 PM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,197 Posts
Ahhh.... that was just what I needed.

I spent the last couple hours flying my Speedo in perfect conditions. If anything the wind was better when I left than when I got there. It's a good 15+mph right now. I only left because I didn't bring any sunscreen. We red-heads need to be careful of that, y'know.

I have my canopy taped down on both sides. On one of my tosses, the tape came loose, and the canopy was just hanging off the side of the plane. The drag sure made it interesting to fly before I was able to bring her down.

I even put a few ounces of ballast in the thing, which seemed to really help it penetrate. I didn't have quite enough nose weight left to properly balance it after that, but it wasn't that bad. I gotta say, these planes are fun to fly. Maybe it's because they're so cheap I don't care if I crash it.

-Keith
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:38 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,813 Posts
They like ballast. That airfoil does not seem to mind carrying extra weight at all, and the speed-o just gets more fun with it.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:42 PM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,197 Posts
The ballast also made it easier to do the "power line runs". Fly down the slope underneath the power lines, pull a loop, and go back under the power lines. It can be hard to judge the distance and when to pull up, but it sure is fun! You also have to maintain enough speed to get back up the slope and into lift.
RCG Plus Member