HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:54 PM
Works to Fly
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2007
2,442 Posts
Eating my chalupa in SC about to go to Misty. SC pier report 20 wnw!!
Slopedaddy is offline Find More Posts by Slopedaddy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:04 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,298 Posts
I wish I was eating a chalupa.
TRISME is offline Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:40 PM
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,298 Posts
It must be pretty decent, because I don't hear anything from Dick or Jeff.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:46 PM
United States, CA, Trabuco Canyon
Joined Aug 2008
1,422 Posts
Tom

I will let Dick and Jeff post, they had a great time.
Rick T. is offline Find More Posts by Rick T.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:00 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Jun 2008
4,524 Posts
Tom

We missed you buddy, Jeff and I had a blast today ( it was AWESOME ) Dave even joined in later. Rick and Chuck came by for visits !!! Always nice to see you guys !! WOW Jeff and I flew the sh-t out of our Mambas !! even had the Mig 3 up several times, Jeff flew his air cobra couple times also ( nice to see that one fly Jeff ) and thanks for the GREAT day of flying my friend !!!!!
Dick J is online now Find More Posts by Dick J
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:14 PM
Long Beach, Ca
Joined Dec 2007
47 Posts
Good day gentlemen.....
I started reading this thread but then when I discovered there were 593 pages I thought I'd be lazy and just insert here but surely will scan the whole thread. I'm Andrew and have been flying on and off since about 1976. My first glider was an Airtronics Aquila and flew thermal in Woodland Hills in a place called Topanga Park. Its overrun by buildings and trees now. Sad! Then when I discovered slope flying off of I think avenue 52 up the hill from Figueroa in east LA. That was about 1979 flying a floater (cant remember its name). Then about 1981 had a SB-10 scale ship I bought from Wilshire Models. Hans the owner helped me set it up and coached my flying since it was a rather expensive plane at the time. I believe it was about 5 meters span. We flew in Malibu just north of Peperdine College. What a great slope as it always had lift and we had an awesome landing area! Well since then I had retired from the hobby until about 1999 when I became fascinated with helicopters. Ok to be honest it took me 10 years to learn to fly helicopters and I'm an ok pilot. Turning the clock back a bit, I bought a Multiplex Alpina carbon edition as an ARC. Its sits in my toybox waiting for the day I build/fly it. Its in a place where I see it every day in plain site, ironicly! Well I have had a few other gliders (scale) I have bought, built and sold but never flown. I did build one, an S2 Minimoa. Nice model but never flew it. My new interest is a big K8 but will surely start by getting my feet wet with something more disposable.
Theres a bit about me now to discuss my current quest and that is ro find a good place to fly. I live in Long Beach and have traveled to a few local sites and will share my initial observations.
Glider Point. Looks like a great place but a hell of a hike to the slope and seems like you need a wagon to carry your gear. Lots of landing are and about an hour drive from home.
Fairview Park. Looks like a great place to fly however this might seem trivial but they want you to be a member of the club and the city of Costa Mesa wants their monetary donation as well. Landing is sweet there for sure! Would also be a fun place to fly my helicopter however they dont allow gas engines there. :-(
Reef Point. Awesome lift but landing in thick brush doesnt appeal to me when I like my planes to look new all of the time. Also a $15 parking fee? Gimme a freaking break!
San Pedro is another awsome place however landing in a rock field isnt attractive to me.
The coastal bluffs in here in LB are sweet but lift is light and as nice as grass is to land in, its limited so I think it would be risky to land a larger ship in such a limited area.
Of all these mentioned locations I favor Fairview Park. When I stopped by there were all electric planes, no gliders. the guys seemed nice to chat with and they advised I should visit in the late morning of the weekend to talk to the glider guys. From what they say its mostly a winch lift and not aero-tow? Yet to find out.
Well there is my history and observations. If I must fly my helicopter in one location and re learn sailplanes in another so be it. I will re visit Fairview Park again and hope to encounter more nice people again.
Any other suggestions of locations would be appreciated. Here is what I'm looking for: A nice smooth landing area suitable for keeping a plane nice. Good lift be it thermal or slope and a place where parking isnt so far I have to pack an overnight bag for the hike.
Thanks for reading if I havent put you to sleep...

Andrew
Rain Maker is offline Find More Posts by Rain Maker
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:18 PM
Livin ...The Endless Summer
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
7,009 Posts
I let Ed fly the cobra...Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356571081.210445.jpg
Views: 67
Size: 100.7 KB
Description:
Rubio
67econoline is online now Find More Posts by 67econoline
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Jun 2008
4,524 Posts
he he he doesnt look to bad my friend !!!
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:32 PM
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,298 Posts
Looks muddy but unbroken.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:42 PM
Works to Fly
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2007
2,442 Posts
Today at Lilli's

Here's a video of Dick and his Mig in 25mph+
It was a fun day
Today at Lilli's (1 min 27 sec)

Misty was great! After flying myself out I went to Lilli to see what was shakin' and it was a MIG
Slopedaddy is offline Find More Posts by Slopedaddy
Last edited by Slopedaddy; Dec 26, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:48 PM
Hump or Death?
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Oct 2012
386 Posts
Nice video guys!

I flew Misty at 11:00am. Was fun! I had to play golf with my daughter for the rest of the day but I managed to get back at dusk and it was very smooth. I only wish I has made ballast for my Moth. It's got a ballast tube but I still need to make some weights. Could have used it.

Happy Boxing Day!

--
John
O.G. Gamesta is offline Find More Posts by O.G. Gamesta
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:53 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,327 Posts
Must have just missed ya John, I managed to get in about 45min before I had to work. It was really good I flew the Bullet the whole time it was great!!

The next big day could be big Santa Ana's on Monday and Tuesday. I'm gonna try and have another plane or two ready if the predictions are true!!!!
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:54 PM
Joined Jun 2008
4,524 Posts
Chuck

Very nice !! Thanks !!!!
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:18 PM
Livin ...The Endless Summer
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
7,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME View Post
Looks muddy but unbroken.
Yep Tom and Dick called it. Muddy but unbroken.
The lift was good today that's for sure .I had my best cobra flight ever!! Super fun. I turned the transmitter to Ed and he got in trouble almost right away
Then just planted it into the hill The soft ground saved it!!

I am stoked.

My flight was filled with some of the best pumps I have seen it do.
I really love that Plane!!

We flew Mambas. Mark Ed and I flew till dark. Super Fun.
Great lift and nothing broken!!

Glad to hear everyone got some...(except for Tom) sorry Tom...
Rubio
67econoline is online now Find More Posts by 67econoline
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:18 PM
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Oct 2009
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Maker View Post
Good day gentlemen.....

Glider Point. Looks like a great place but a hell of a hike to the slope and seems like you need a wagon to carry your gear. Lots of landing are and about an hour drive from home.
Fairview Park. Looks like a great place to fly however this might seem trivial but they want you to be a member of the club and the city of Costa Mesa wants their monetary donation as well. Landing is sweet there for sure! Would also be a fun place to fly my helicopter however they dont allow gas engines there. :-(
Reef Point. Awesome lift but landing in thick brush doesnt appeal to me when I like my planes to look new all of the time. Also a $15 parking fee? Gimme a freaking break!
San Pedro is another awsome place however landing in a rock field isnt attractive to me.
The coastal bluffs in here in LB are sweet but lift is light and as nice as grass is to land in, its limited so I think it would be risky to land a larger ship in such a limited area.
Of all these mentioned locations I favor Fairview Park. When I stopped by there were all electric planes, no gliders. the guys seemed nice to chat with and they advised I should visit in the late morning of the weekend to talk to the glider guys. From what they say its mostly a winch lift and not aero-tow? Yet to find out.
Well there is my history and observations. If I must fly my helicopter in one location and re learn sailplanes in another so be it. I will re visit Fairview Park again and hope to encounter more nice people again.
Any other suggestions of locations would be appreciated. Here is what I'm looking for: A nice smooth landing area suitable for keeping a plane nice. Good lift be it thermal or slope and a place where parking isnt so far I have to pack an overnight bag for the hike.
Thanks for reading if I havent put you to sleep...

Andrew
fairview park is winch flying,i never see aerotow there
and the slope there stinks;trees below and such,
doable but bad,good lift in the morning,great lz
glider point is great and smooth and a shorter hike
than temple.
back bay is great for soouth to southeast,not much lz
foamies best.
try seapoint sometiime,bad lz fence going thru it
air is like driving a dirt road,but a fun dirt road and its home
dammmit
see ya out there