HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:24 AM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,327 Posts
Sweet!!! Nice job James!!! From my limited experience with pitcherons it did look tail heavy and your throws looked a little high as well. Try turning down the rates a bit and see if that helps. Overall a very nice maiden it'll only fly better as you dial it in !!
Mr. Combat Certain is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:29 AM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,327 Posts
After spending a few evenings on my floater plane I've come to realize that balsa bashing is not my forte. My fingers are layers thick in CA, Im coughing up balsa dust, and the workshop is a mess . The good news is I should have it ready to cover on build night !!
Mr. Combat Certain is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:50 AM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Nice one James. Curious why you chucked it off the first time while saying it was tail heavy. Glad it came out ok though. It looks like it retains energy well and banks really nice in the turns. From the looks of it, I also think you probably had too much throw, definitely set up multi rates and try it out a few different ways.

Two things I didn't see in the video but assume you probably did them, but did you do any 45 degree dives to determine the CG? Did you try any inverted flying and if so how'd it handle?

Anyways, supper happy for you especially at how your air brake worked. The shrike or similar style twisty wing is on my short list of planes I'd like to own.

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:50 PM
What goes up, must come down..
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Sep 2011
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orni-freak View Post
After spending a few evenings on my floater plane I've come to realize that balsa bashing is not my forte. My fingers are layers thick in CA, Im coughing up balsa dust, and the workshop is a mess . The good news is I should have it ready to cover on build night !!
Don't mind building up stabs or even a fuse... but a wing? Yetch. Too damn much work! The Chandelle wing was the last one I will ever build from ribs :P

Carpe Foam!
ZeroPitch is offline Find More Posts by ZeroPitch
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Sep 2011
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyl View Post
Nice one James. Curious why you chucked it off the first time while saying it was tail heavy. Glad it came out ok though. It looks like it retains energy well and banks really nice in the turns. From the looks of it, I also think you probably had too much throw, definitely set up multi rates and try it out a few different ways.

Two things I didn't see in the video but assume you probably did them, but did you do any 45 degree dives to determine the CG? Did you try any inverted flying and if so how'd it handle?

Anyways, supper happy for you especially at how your air brake worked. The shrike or similar style twisty wing is on my short list of planes I'd like to own.

-Jonathan
Well... I *suspected* it was a *little* tail heavy, lol. Plans call for "on the wing rod" and I was about 1/4" back. In the dark and distant past, the plans I built from were conservative and too nose heavy for my likes... guess I better RTFM from now on ;-)

Did a dive test which seemed to indicate nose heavy because it pulled up, but based on later (faster) runs, it must have just been indicating lift :P Anyway, best to just chuck a bit more lead in the nose and give 'er another toss to see how it feels.

Didn't try inverted... too nervous because full elevator would speed-stall and I didn't want to lose it in a panic. Almost made kindling twice doing split-S turns.

Yah, the airbrake is cool... and functional even! Helped a lot on the... second... landing.

Recommend the Shrike highly. Fun on the maiden, but I can tell it will be a blast once dialed in...
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:49 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,813 Posts
Most of my twisty wings balance right on the rod. Some on the back of the rod. The more tail heavy you are, the more likely it will do that big tip stall, and pitcherons are a little more likely to tip stall also. So I think your first launch was just a little tail heavy, and got into a tip stall. Looked good after that first launch. Was very happy to see no damage!!

You did a great job, as always! Bring it over tonight so we can all drool on it.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:52 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Bring it over tonight so we can all drool on it.

-Wayne
Wayne, you throwing a party tonight too or is your calendar missing a Wednesday this week?

-Jonathan
who is planning on going to Wayne's tomorrow night
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Sep 2011
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Most of my twisty wings balance right on the rod. Some on the back of the rod. The more tail heavy you are, the more likely it will do that big tip stall, and pitcherons are a little more likely to tip stall also. So I think your first launch was just a little tail heavy, and got into a tip stall. Looked good after that first launch. Was very happy to see no damage!!

You did a great job, as always! Bring it over tonight so we can all drool on it.

-Wayne
Well... it was good to have some practice landing inverted, lol

Turns out I can't make this one... last minute work meeting at 8pm tomorrow :-(
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:18 PM
Aloft Hobbies
Joined Sep 2003
5,813 Posts
Yes tomorrow.. Not sure why I typed tonight. Probably just thinking of all the stuff I need to do tonight before the party. :P

-Wayne

p.s. I also got a package of dogs, buns and a huge container of potato salad. We still have some beers and a few cokes left over from the last BN (build night). Even have a little desert to share.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:57 PM
United States, CA, Trabuco Canyon
Joined Aug 2008
1,456 Posts
What a great day, flew the passer, then met Dick at Lily's. Man does he know Lily's, you do learn alot by listenening to the best. I learned alot today.

Wayne
I have the hot dogs, same ones you buy from Costco, so what time should I come over ?

Rick
Rick T. is offline Find More Posts by Rick T.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:09 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Jun 2008
4,599 Posts
Thanks Rick I m not an expert just love flying there, and have come to really know her quirks !!! Glad you listened and learned !!!!
Dick J is offline Find More Posts by Dick J
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,456 Posts
I sure did
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:28 PM
Aloft Hobbies
Joined Sep 2003
5,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parplyr View Post
What a great day, flew the passer, then met Dick at Lily's. Man does he know Lily's, you do learn alot by listenening to the best. I learned alot today.

Wayne
I have the hot dogs, same ones you buy from Costco, so what time should I come over ?

Rick
People start coming over around 5:30 or so, I'll be in the garage at about 5:00.

As a result of the clean up, we will have a lot more usable floor space this time. I don't have many chairs though.

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:29 PM
Driven by Passion!
Joined Feb 2009
116 Posts
Well by the time I got to Lilly yesterday, Dick and Rubio had used up all the good air. There was barely enough wind left to maiden my new Weasel. She got about 10 min. of flying and down the hill I went to retrieve her. Brought her home in one piece and rebalanced to fly again. Rubio, it was great meeting you!

So after getting home, I had to wipe off all the slobber from Dick fondling my 23oz Mamba! I think he has a little Mamba envy... Well Dick, I took your advice and buried the weights in the nose and recovered with new stuff. She's sub 23 with a CG right about 6.5" and clean as a whistle.

Started my newest project, already screwed up and didn't bury the tail post. Oops. Well I guess I have to figure out a fix. This should be around the Alula in weight, 5-6oz. This is ship #2 of this design. Looking forward to flying it.

See you on the slope!
Dave
Dana Pt Dave is offline Find More Posts by Dana Pt Dave
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,456 Posts
Wayne

I will be there between 5 and 5:30 with hot dogs in hand. I believe there are a dozen to a package, if we get to amny people we could always cut them down for mini weenies, he he

See you tomorrow

Rick