SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 02, 2011, 02:00 PM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,193 Posts
I agree with Wayne that our Laguna Beach slope isn't the best place for beginners, but not many slopes are. The landing zone consists of mostly hard scrub brush, so foamies are the best. You just pick the softest looking bush and aim your plane for it, or risk the rotor and land on the ice plant stuff. If you land too far down the hill, you're in for a very steep hike to retrieve you plane. The houses are expensive, but at least they're further away than at the Salvador site in San Clemente.

Despite all this, I have been flying glass PSS planes here for a few years with only the occasional break-up on landing. Once the wind is above 15mph, the lift can be fantastic with a very wide lift band. Above 25mph or so, the lift gets blown out and it's unflyable.
Below is a couple videos of me flying some glass... a 48" 42oz Penetrator and a Telos.

Electrics are a BIG no-no here! Laguna Beach residents complain about everything and make all the fun stuff illegal.

P-51 Penetrator PSS - March 31, 2010 (10 min 8 sec)

Telos glider - March 31, 2010 (5 min 27 sec)
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kpeevyhouse; Feb 02, 2011 at 02:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2011, 06:38 PM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Hmm. stuck at work..

DWA - Lake Hills?
It is in Riverside. Just 40 min away if you take the toll road to the 91.

This is the thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post17291526

Dave
DWA is offline Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2011, 12:34 AM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
999 Posts
So how was the flying there today? Would think it was very good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWA View Post
It is in Riverside. Just 40 min away if you take the toll road to the 91.

This is the thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post17291526

Dave
oletimer is offline Find More Posts by oletimer
Old Feb 03, 2011, 09:06 AM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
3,082 Posts
My name is Chip and I am a Slopeaholic. Although not currently a resident of the OC, I grew up in Tustin and learned to fly slope in 1970 on what is now called Kite Hill. My home slope is Dave's Beach in Carlsbad, which I never knew was there until I moved to my current house, which is just 5 minutes away. I fly everything from 24" foamies to 3.2M Moldies and own a small model Aircraft business, on the side (you may have heard of it ).

I've added weatherstation networking into my Slope passion and suggest you try to provide a weather Underground link to represent every one of your favorite sites,and specify the best wind direction. That allows everyone with a IP to see what's happening at your favorite slopes. I like this one for Beacons Nothing like having a webcam with reference points.

I know or have flown with most of you guys and welcome you to visit Dave's Beach in Carlsbad, whenever we have a SW5+ breeze.
chip.greely is online now Find More Posts by chip.greely
Old Feb 03, 2011, 04:16 PM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oletimer View Post
So how was the flying there today? Would think it was very good!
It was epic, I felt like I was at Cajon it was so good.

Dave
DWA is offline Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2011, 08:30 PM
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
999 Posts
LH's

Yea I flew out there for the first time about 3 wks ago when the santa ana's were about 25+. Had the whole hill to my self, so was a bit nervous when I first threw my Talon off. Then... all was well with the world that lift may be the best i have flown for only being 25mph. That may sound crazy, but I had to fly my Talon sideways more then level just so I could keep it in site
The rocks make it tricky, but when leavining, I saw a dirt trail to the east that was in a small like valley. it was crunchy landing heaven. May try some bigger planes there next Santa Ana.
When I saw the winds when you went, I thought it might be too windy.

You got to give this place a try Wayne!

Oletimer/Jeff
Old Feb 04, 2011, 08:42 PM
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
999 Posts
Opps, forgot Intro

My name is Jeff;
I got back into RC planes after quiting for 28+ years after a friend oblitterated my t-tail glider off a bungee start 5 feet from letting go. Thought up was down!
Anyways, started flying about a year ago with Wayne here with combat power wings, and realized how much I like slope gliders and high thermaling.
So in one year I have gone from two combat wings to roughly 14-16 planes mainly in the glider family. Mostly old ones due to I can't believe how much churnchys are and how fast they break!
Have flown now from Banning to Estancia H/S cliffs (where I started) and tried out Chip's place down there in Carlsbad (great group of guys too!) That is one underlying thread I have found so far... Slope and RC pilots in general are very patient and willing to help you out if you don't know. I go to fly to relax and peace of mind and all the aggression out there in most other hobbies and sports is just not cutting it for me. Guess I am getting older now and appreciate the comradary of others just wanting to get along and be .... Kind!
If you see some big old dude flying his antique collection... say Hi! I'm big and ugly... but I don't bite

Oletimer / Jeff
Old Feb 04, 2011, 11:24 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,930 Posts
I'm Pete and my interests are pretty diverse when it comes to the R/C hobby. Right now I seem to be most interested in indoor micro planes and helis and aerial photography from quad rotorcraft, but I expect my interest in flying slope will be revitalized again when the days get a little longer and warmer. I also have several outdoor pattern and 3D electric aerobats I enjoy flying and I'm in the process of building a flybarless Mini Protos (450-sized 3D helicopter).

I started flying "fuel" R/C in the mid 1970s and got pretty rabid about it, but I lost interest and didn't fly anything I couldn't hang from or sit in from 1982 until 2003. That's when I discovered an electric-only R/C field near my (then) new home in Costa Mesa and before I knew it I was up to my neck in R/C planes again.

But I had no interest whatsoever in aircraft that couldn't make their own wind. In fact, I thought gliders were for weenies and I spurned every effort to get me to a slope until late 2004. That's when a friend and fellow flyer bought me a Wing Warrior Slope Raider, shamed me into building it, and literally kidnapped my ass and took me to Dog Beach. That outing and the next couple were ~meh~ but then I hit one of those EPIC days at Reef Point and I was hooked.

I don't think I flew a single powered flight for the next 2-3 years. My "home" slopes were Reef Point and Back Bay and I flew Bluff Park on weekday evenings on my way home from work. In 2006 & 2007 I mostly flew the "big air" slopes like Grass Mountain, Cajon, Elsinore, and the Santa Ana Mountains, but then, for reasons I can't really explain, I just stopped building new slope planes when I cratered the old ones. The only slopers I've built since then are a Weasel & Alula (Evos), but my Super Scooter, Halfpipe, and Wing Warrior Zipper are still in good shape and a I have a Rad2 DLG that will fly on a bean fart.

These days I'll fly about anything and I'm not really loyal to any particular discipline. If I had to sum it up in a word I'd say that I've become a "comfort" flyer.

For what it's worth, I put my Slope Info Pages online back in early 2005 and I still try to keep it fairly current. It's by no means "all inclusive", mostly because I won't list any slope that I haven't actually flown. I also have a YouTube Channel that's exclusively dedicated to aviation and almost as dedicated to R/C.

And on that note, I have LiPo packs to charge 'cause tomorrow feels like one of those powered aerobatics kind of days.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Feb 05, 2011, 12:32 AM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,325 Posts
Hey is anyone planning to go to the MOM race at Brown's Bluff on the 12th? I'm gonna try and go sounds like a lot of fun your first race is free you just need AMA. I'll also bring Monarch kits in case anyone is interested...

I'm planning to fly tomorrow if the wind is decent but Im not sure what the direction will be I guess we'll see...
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Feb 05, 2011, 01:05 AM
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
999 Posts
Mom Races

Hey Jorday;

Yea, I told them I would help out and watch. they even said I can fly the Coyote in the Wood/composite class, but that will be embarassing I think.
I also have a 3M F3F I have not maidedend, and just finished the other night with all the program mixes, so maybe I will bring her out with me. But if the wind is not forcasted, I don't want to drive all that way to find out what I already know!
I will try tomorrow too, but think I am going to go to La Sierra on Sunday later because the West winds should be good for it there.

Oletimer
Old Feb 05, 2011, 02:05 AM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oletimer View Post
Hey Jorday;

Yea, I told them I would help out and watch. they even said I can fly the Coyote in the Wood/composite class, but that will be embarassing I think.
I also have a 3M F3F I have not maidedend, and just finished the other night with all the program mixes, so maybe I will bring her out with me. But if the wind is not forcasted, I don't want to drive all that way to find out what I already know!
I will try tomorrow too, but think I am going to go to La Sierra on Sunday later because the West winds should be good for it there.

Oletimer
What's to be embarrased about? I'm gonna try and race my lil' Monarch against the 60" foamies. What'll really be embarassing is if I actually manage to win with it .
Old Feb 05, 2011, 12:33 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,249 Posts
Why not race your Gulp?
TRISME is online now Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Feb 05, 2011, 01:32 PM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME View Post
Why not race your Gulp?
I'll race that first. If they end up having another race I'll give my Monarch a go ...
Old Feb 05, 2011, 09:39 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,672 Posts
Jordan, with your eye sight, I think you might find that the plane is not as important as cutting those turns right, and I think you can do that!!

I might have to see about attending this event.
Rotozuk is online now Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
Old Feb 05, 2011, 10:57 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,249 Posts
Somebody roll a lot of video.
Tom
who knows he'll be working(again)
TRISME is online now Find More Posts by TRISME