HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2011, 02:50 AM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
997 Posts
Spiders and Snakes

Hey Bill;

Hard to believe, but it is cold here too! Probibly not any warmer then by you now!
Last week it got up to almost 90... today I think it may have got up to 60...maybe! Freezing off of Shapell which is inland from Laguna Beach and Dana Point about maybe 4 -8 miles. Fantastic weather we are having. Guess the whole world is seeing a weather pattern change... but anyone says Global
Warming is just not looking at the facts of it all! (better keep this about sloping).
Any ways, this week end is looking promissing, and can't decide to go to Carlsbad and fly the Dave Kellog memorial or stay at home and enjoy the wind we should be having

Thanks everyong for jumping in and helping me with the New Stuff issue. Fabian was nice enough to give me a P-40 to make, and I want to do it right and beat the home town boys at their own game... (fat chace) but I don't want the plane to be the excuse for sure!

Jeff
oletimer is offline Find More Posts by oletimer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2011, 02:55 AM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
997 Posts
Planes

Quote:
Originally Posted by orni-freak View Post
When I paint my foamies, I usually add fiber tape on the LE and TE, and just paint over the entire plane, and iron 5 mil on top Then I iron a 2" strip of 5mil on the LE. If it starts to fray up, take off the strip, and add a new one.

However, if your using ultracote, the best way to do it is 3m-77, tape, 3m-77, monokote the plane to your liking, 3m-77, then new stuff over the entire plane. Add the 2" strip on the LE for strength.

Although if you've got enough GOOP and xylene, I highly recommend using the "GOOPing" treatment. When thinned and brushed on, the goop forms into a protective coating, and prevents the covering from fraying up which naturally happens over time. This keeps the plane fresher for longer, and when done well it makes some nice foamies (I used thinned goop for my GULP SR in my avatar) and takes some serious abuse (same gulp took a hard concrete nose-dive from 30' up, no damage).

What kinda foamies are u working on Jeff?
Same ones I talked to you last time. Just taking my time to get into the mood to do them.
Plank is by XDan the Machine 60. Want to fly with Tom & Fabio and keep up with them on true sloping. Too many people fly where ever here and we should fly in pattern when we can if we have simular planes. To me that is way funner then just solo!
The other is a way cool P-40 made scratch by Fabio. His flies fantastic and is one of three.
Sorry I never got back to you on the new stuff... just a time issue for me now!

Jeff
oletimer is offline Find More Posts by oletimer
Old Apr 09, 2011, 03:02 AM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,135 Posts
Wicker Bill,

Lilly Shapell Park is in Orange County, in the city of Laguna Niguel.

So far I haven't seen any rattlesnakes..... yet. They seem to all be attracted to Craig

-Keith
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2011, 12:19 PM
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,420 Posts
We have had rattlers at Bake and Laguna in the recent past. I'm sure Ortega has plenty too.

Flying in a pattern or predictable method is not always going to work with all pilots. Even when some people fly the patern with me, the style is not compatible with my own. I quickly learn who I'm comfortable flying with, and who I am not. It is just a personal preference. Even when flying EPP.

Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 09, 2011, 12:45 PM
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Feb 2003
2,369 Posts
Oh I've seen and heard rattlers at Shapell. Last summer, I was retrieving my plane and while climbing up the hills, I heard the rattle, so had to take a long way around the hill. Didn't want to take a chance even though I was tired.

Adrian
codezilla is offline Find More Posts by codezilla
Old Apr 09, 2011, 04:12 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orni-freak View Post
Man, I was right by Lilly Shapell today too, should've brought a plane with me. Good news is I've got about 5 months left until I go for my driver's license, then I'll be able to head up there more often ...
Remember you can't just show up and fly Lilly...requires AMA & city permit
Yablonsky is offline Find More Posts by Yablonsky
Old Apr 09, 2011, 09:54 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,303 Posts
Well today was a good day, 10mph+ at salvador. Wayne, Shadow, Miro, the three Lewises, Charlie and I were all there bashing wings and having fun. Only damage was the servo in my wing burned out in flight, luckily I was able to land safely.
Mr. Combat Certain is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Apr 09, 2011, 10:46 PM
Joined Sep 2003
5,420 Posts
Yes, that was fun at El Salvador.

We could not figure out where to go, every weather station I looked at was reporting something different. Finally decided most were reporting South-ish, so would head to San Clemente. We started at the water tanks, but it was not great there, but was flyable. Then headed over to El Salvador and had a great time. Just wish I had more of a charge in my wing battery.

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:35 AM
It was a radio hit...I swear!
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Jun 2008
577 Posts
Another snake

Well, yesterday at Lilly Craig managed to bring out another 1 and 1/2 foot rattler to within 2 feet of his own feet Craig was flying his Spider when a lady that was walking by him with her dog on the trail said "hey isn't that a rattle snake by your foot?" After hearing Craig's calls for assistance, Fabio stepped into action with his infamous snake stick and performed a few Ninja moves on the head of the ferocious beast. Sean, Jeff, and Adrian watched him as he manipulated that broom stick like Luke Skywalker did with his star wars light saber. I really did not want to kill it but he was just a little too close for comfort and there were too many people and dogs around. Craig, we need to do something about your soap or aftershave. I think that is what might be attracting them.

Guys, keep your eyes open as they seem to be coming out of all the cracks even though it is still relatively cold. If it gets warmer we are going to have some real issues with them.

Be careful out there. Later
slopeaddict is offline Find More Posts by slopeaddict
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:49 AM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,303 Posts
wow that's a close call you guys! We've had a simular-sized rattlesnake at our apartments, but even after lots of provoking with a broomstick, it never lunged or bit it.

Even so, I'm definetley more wary of them this time of year...
Mr. Combat Certain is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:54 AM
Joined Sep 2003
5,420 Posts
Craig, don't change a thing... I'll feel safer just having you around to attract the nasty critters.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 11, 2011, 04:15 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jul 2009
103 Posts
WOW, yeah that was pretty scarry yesterday. I had already thought of that scenario of a snake crawling up next to me while I was flying but I never actually thought it would happen. I am not sure why they are attracted to me but it is definitely not flattering. On a positive note I finally got to meet and fly with codezilla (Adrian) yesterday. I was really impressed with his flying skills especially how he ripped it up with his 3m ship...fast and close to the slope. That is my favorite style of flying. He invited me up to Fermin to watch the F3F races this Saturday....Anyone else interested in going up???
SOS-TopGunsBro is offline Find More Posts by SOS-TopGunsBro
Old Apr 11, 2011, 04:28 PM
Joined Sep 2003
5,420 Posts
I got an email from a buddy that flies up at Bluff Cove in Palos Verdes and he reported a snake sighting also.

Would love to go to the races, but got something else I have to attend to. I watched them a while back at Fermin, and it was pretty neat watching the spendy planes put to work.

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 11, 2011, 08:36 PM
Joined Apr 2011
13 Posts
Not me cause im sorta new to the whole idea of flying gliders
Donny Harwood is offline Find More Posts by Donny Harwood
Old Apr 11, 2011, 08:38 PM
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Feb 2003
2,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS-TopGunsBro View Post
WOW, yeah that was pretty scarry yesterday. I had already thought of that scenario of a snake crawling up next to me while I was flying but I never actually thought it would happen. I am not sure why they are attracted to me but it is definitely not flattering. On a positive note I finally got to meet and fly with codezilla (Adrian) yesterday. I was really impressed with his flying skills especially how he ripped it up with his 3m ship...fast and close to the slope. That is my favorite style of flying. He invited me up to Fermin to watch the F3F races this Saturday....Anyone else interested in going up???
Nice to fly with you too.

It was nice to fly at Lilly again. Yeah, check out the races. It's pretty cool.

Adrian
codezilla is offline Find More Posts by codezilla