SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2011, 04:09 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
We all need to do a big Ortega day. That site is really nice, and a HUGE lift zone. Make a picnic day of it.
Then we need a speedo Man on Man race at the Water Tower (still reffering to planes here )!!
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2011, 04:27 PM
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
That's why we call them "snake birds".

race - that could be fun! Might have to rebuild my Snake Bird for that one. It has a good speed wing on it right now - after getting run over by a truck!! It is a very thing wing on one side.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 01, 2011, 10:52 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Wayne, possible to pinpoint all the locations on google map? I'm a native Californian living in Vermont and will be in SoCal this summer, June 15-29th. Not much slope soaring here in VT, I've mostly done thermal this last summer. For me to learn slope soaring, I need to drive 5+ hrs to Cape Cod where I hear it is pretty good in nice weather, kind of having a blizzard at the moment... My family lives in San Clemente near Camino de Los Mares. Would be nice to check out some sloping sites while I'm there, meet some fellow enthusiasts and learn the ropes from the seasoned slope junkies. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to transport any of my hanger out there with me (2.6m Discus CS, 2m AS K-21, 2m DG-1000, and my Radian).

I do remember back in the day '75 when there was loads of hang gliders and Hobie Hawks ruling the sky on the big hill right off of Camino de Los Mares way before the houses arrived.

Cheers, Thompson
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Feb 01, 2011, 10:55 PM
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Oct 2009
666 Posts
hello
my name is steve(steeg)
started with an easy star at fairview park,learned to fly,thermal and slope.
learned at dog beach.
i work in costa mesa and live in westminster.on the way home i fly at seapoint
3 to 4 times per week.speedo,moth an m60 now are the mainstays.
seapoint is a big bowl facing san pedro and tolerates a wide range of direction.
i will put up pics soon.i basically always have it to myself.
have visited and enjoyed bluff park and temple hill.
i might move to silverado soon and may soon call cactus hill home.
hope to fly with y'all soon
steve
steeg is online now Find More Posts by steeg
Old Feb 01, 2011, 11:03 PM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,330 Posts
Hey Thompson,

I'm also in SC and I've started a thread for my home slope El Salvador aka Misty Ridge: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...142459&page=51. There's also the water tank which I think is the camino de los mares slope your refferring to. It faces south here's the kmz file link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=538.

Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
Wayne, possible to pinpoint all the locations on google map? I'm a native Californian living in Vermont and will be in SoCal this summer, June 15-29th. Not much slope soaring here in VT, I've mostly done thermal this last summer. For me to learn slope soaring, I need to drive 5+ hrs to Cape Cod where I hear it is pretty good in nice weather, kind of having a blizzard at the moment... My family lives in San Clemente near Camino de Los Mares. Would be nice to check out some sloping sites while I'm there, meet some fellow enthusiasts and learn the ropes from the seasoned slope junkies. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to transport any of my hanger out there with me (2.6m Discus CS, 2m AS K-21, 2m DG-1000, and my Radian).

I do remember back in the day '75 when there was loads of hang gliders and Hobie Hawks ruling the sky on the big hill right off of Camino de Los Mares way before the houses arrived.

Cheers, Thompson
Old Feb 02, 2011, 01:11 AM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
3,165 Posts
Glad to see you guys making your own thread,

...but don't forget to check in with your Southern neighbors for events and such. Your only a few 80mph minutes away
chip.greely is offline Find More Posts by chip.greely
Old Feb 02, 2011, 02:09 AM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,496 Posts
No worries Chip, we're all one big slopey family.

Hi, my name is Tom. My home slope is Lilly Shappel Park, aka "Lilly's".
I first learned to fly on the slopes of Strands, Lilly's, Nophies and Kite hill. My first plane was a Talon, also had a Tercel and a 2M Spirit. Went through the evolution of foamies to their current state. I love to fly slope (mouldies crunchies,scalies,foamies). I enjoy aerotowing Scale gliders and flying the towplane. I have a couple of DLGs, and electrics too. I've DSed my Moth and M60 and it is addicting. I've also flown at Cajon,Fermin,Glider point,Little Mountain,Torrey,Dave's Beach,Misty Ridge,Flag pole,Tick Hill,Back Bay,Top of the world,Reef point,Los Banos,Gazebos,Bluff Park,and a few other mole hills and mounds that looked like they might generate some lift. I enjoy building too when I have the chance.
TRISME is offline Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Feb 02, 2011, 02:21 AM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip.greely View Post
Glad to see you guys making your own thread,

...but don't forget to check in with your Southern neighbors for events and such. Your only a few 80mph minutes away
Or a 3 hour bike-ride or a 6-hour walk for me (unless I can find a ride )...
Old Feb 02, 2011, 05:36 AM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,198 Posts
Here's the Google Earth location of the slope in Laguna Beach. You can park in front of the houses on Alta Laguna Blvd, and walk the 100 yards or so to the slope. Stand on the white rock, and toss out your planes!

The slope is flyable in West to Southwest winds. Local weather cam for Top Of The World can be found at www.lagunabeachweather.net

The lat/long coordinates are 33.542531, -117.753649

-Keith
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2011, 11:59 AM
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeevyhouse View Post
Here's the Google Earth location of the slope in Laguna Beach. You can park in front of the houses on Alta Laguna Blvd, and walk the 100 yards or so to the slope. Stand on the white rock, and toss out your planes!

The slope is flyable in West to Southwest winds. Local weather cam for Top Of The World can be found at www.lagunabeachweather.net

-Keith
Since this is my Home Slope site, I'll ask that you only fly here if you are really comfortable with your flight skills. This is not a site to learn on. Also, please be respectful of the neighbors and visitors. I'll go crazy if we get kicked out of this site. We have never had any issues here, but technically we are trespassing just being at the site.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 02, 2011, 12:23 PM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeevyhouse View Post

-Keith
Make sure you find the little rock; carlos and I just kept walking out to the grassy area thinking you fly over there. Boy was that sketchy lol...
Old Feb 02, 2011, 12:29 PM
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
We have tried to DS over there.. I think on the right day it might work, but so far no success. You would think the lift would be good over there but it usually sucks, there is a cliff or hill out a ways that seems to make the lift out further in the bowl. Too bad because it is a hell of a nice landing area over there.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 02, 2011, 12:46 PM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,567 Posts
Great idea for a thread, I am an OC local but I fly all over So. Cal. I have not been posting or flying much lately but it looks like I will get a chance to fly (Lake Hills) today. Winds are cranking and I have the day off. I just got online to check weather and groups and found this thread.

Some info about me on my blog and a list of where I have flown. Just click on my avatar and scroll down.
I have several new planes to photograph and post up to my blog when I get a chance.

Dave
DWA is offline Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2011, 01:41 PM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,330 Posts
Wind switched down here, it's now S at 8mph so if it holds the Water Tower could have some potential...
Old Feb 02, 2011, 02:07 PM
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
Hmm. stuck at work..

DWA - Lake Hills?
Site Sponsor