HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2011, 02:17 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,813 Posts
Well, spent Sunday morning working on little stuff for the ASW and a few other odd jobs, then Miro stopped by and we headed of to Point Fermin with about 7 planes in the back of his little Honda. Conditions were very nice! Strong lift on the ridge, but gentle and clam out in the bowl. When we were not flying we enjoyed watching the big 3 meter moldies playing in the lift zone with full ballast loads.

I finally sucked up enough courage to launch my Typhoon into the biggest wind she has yet to fly in. Still have not made any ballast, but I had a great time flying her. Once a couple of other planes landed I really felt comfortable to toss her around the sky and do whatever I felt like doing. I started the flight off with hands shaking, and ended with a big smile on my face. She performed great, and landed like a pillow in the grass up top. Nice to see that plane in its element.

If you have not flown Fermin, you really should make the trip. Watch some locals and learn before you throw out. The landing is a little tricky, but you landing area up top of the hill is about as good as you can ask for.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2011, 06:30 PM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,197 Posts
Wayne, glad to hear you had a good time! Was that your first time at Fermin? I agree, it's one of the best places to fly. I can certainly relate to those shaky hands on a maiden flight at Fermin. There's no turning back if something is seriously wrong with the plane.
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2011, 06:34 PM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,197 Posts
I just got back from Gyro Hobbies, and OMG they actually had stuff in stock!!! I almost fainted when I saw that they had some CA, clevises, carbon tubes, EZ connectors, etc...
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2011, 06:55 PM
Aloft Hobbies
Joined Sep 2003
5,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeevyhouse View Post
I just got back from Gyro Hobbies, and OMG they actually had stuff in stock!!! I almost fainted when I saw that they had some CA, clevises, carbon tubes, EZ connectors, etc...
Haha.. My buddy was over there the other day and said about the same thing.

Quote:
Was that your first time at Fermin?
No, I used to occasionally fly there when I was a kid. We make the drive up there maybe 6-8 times a year. About half of the times we end up there is because all other slopes are dead or the wrong direction. You can usually fly something at Fermin, so it is our last stop when going North. Half the times we go it is light, the other times it is booming, yesterday was perfect. (Although some nasty bird pooped on 2 of my planes!!)

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 04, 2011, 09:18 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,976 Posts
I love Fermin. Always have, but it got a lot better when I quit letting it intimidate me.

Fermin Fun (Director's Cut) (5 min 35 sec)

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Apr 05, 2011, 03:09 AM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
1,003 Posts
Nope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeaddict View Post
Hey Tom/Jeff,

Mine is almost ready. Is yours? I just need to glue the pieces together and make the mouth. Hopefully she will fly well. Later
I'm where Tom is... but after seeing you fly her this weekend... I'm inspired to get her done!

Will start this week when I get home from work.
Raul gave me some new stuff to put on the wings. Makes them very stiff, and will paint them camo green, or urban assult colors I think!

Jeff
oletimer is offline Find More Posts by oletimer
Old Apr 05, 2011, 09:09 AM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,408 Posts
Any pics or video of the P-40 maiden?
TRISME is offline Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Apr 05, 2011, 11:29 AM
It was a radio hit...I swear!
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Jun 2008
624 Posts
No pics

Unfortunately we did not have a camera available but I wish we had. If I may say so...it flies even better than the original . It definitely floats more than the original and it's not as tip-stall sensitive (you do not need to keep it moving as much as the original). The roll rate is good too. I was a little tail heavy on the first toss but after I added about 1/4 ounce to the nose she was keeping up with Craig's Speedo (at times actually outpumping it and outracing it). The best part is that I stuffed it twice...once when I hit Jeff's flag stick on a low speed pass and the second time I hit a sprinkler head during landing. The result: not even a wrinkle on the thing The one thing that still needs work is the loop. Like the original it does not loop well unless you have some speed going into it. After I added the weight to the nose it was much better which leads me to believe that maybe just a little more adjustment to the CG, to give a little more nose momentum to carry it through the loop, and the problem may be solved. It's definitely a keeper!!

If you build it, she will fly...
slopeaddict is offline Find More Posts by slopeaddict
Old Apr 05, 2011, 11:50 AM
Aloft Hobbies
Joined Sep 2003
5,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oletimer View Post
Raul gave me some new stuff to put on the wings. Makes them very stiff, and will paint them camo green, or urban assult colors I think!

Jeff
Paint first, then new stuff.. I don't know of any paint that will stick to new stuff. Or use vinyl on top of it.

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 05, 2011, 02:12 PM
Joined Mar 2011
39 Posts
Quote:
I work a couple blocks away from Gyro, very dangerous for my credit card...
sos42sloper is offline Find More Posts by sos42sloper
Old Apr 07, 2011, 12:10 AM
Joined Mar 2011
39 Posts
Special Weather Statement

Supposed to be South tomorrow, becoming West. Maybe fly at Top of the World???

IN ADVANCE OF THE STORM...STRONG ONSHORE WINDS ARE EXPECTED THURSDAY
MORNING INTO THURSDAY NIGHT IN THE MOUNTAINS AND DESERTS WITH WIND
GUSTS TO AROUND 70 MPH POSSIBLE ON THE DESERT SLOPES OF THE
MOUNTAINS AND ADJACENT DESERT AREAS.
Old Apr 07, 2011, 12:33 AM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,327 Posts
OH YEAH SALVADOR TIME ! too bad I've only got 1 plane ...
Mr. Combat Certain is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Apr 07, 2011, 01:44 AM
Launch and Recovery System
United States, CA, Laguna Beach
Joined Apr 2008
1,401 Posts
New test flght for the Mini Macchi will happen tomorrow at top of the world! Should be perfect for testing!!
L.A.R.S. is offline Find More Posts by L.A.R.S.
Old Apr 07, 2011, 04:30 PM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,197 Posts
Wind is looking fantastic for Top of the World. Lars and I are heading up there in just a few minutes
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2011, 05:06 PM
Joined Mar 2011
39 Posts
Quote:
Wind is looking fantastic for Top of the World. Lars and I are heading up there in just a few minutes

I'm not feeling so hot today, I might have to leave work early...