kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2011, 08:03 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,314 Posts
Even the blunt end of that grappling hook would probably knock it from the tree.
TRISME is offline Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Mar 26, 2011, 08:03 PM
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,314 Posts
Lilly's was good again today.
Tom
Old Mar 26, 2011, 09:17 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME View Post
I bet it's perfect at Back Bay right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oletimer View Post
Can you still fly there with all the houses now? Thought that was all over when they built those homes there!
I still fly Back Bay fairly often, although I haven't been there yet this year. It's only about 4 miles from home which makes it the closest worthwhile slope.

It's a great slope for foamies like a Weasel but you need to beware the chiggers. I've been just covered with chigger bites from the belt-line down a couple times after flying there so I wear long pants, tuck them into my socks, and spray the heck out of my socks and pants with Deep Woods Off or something when I fly there. The chiggers are only active during certain times of the year, but I haven't figured it out yet so I don't take any chances 'cause there are few things in life more aggrivating than chigger bites.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:50 AM
Joined Mar 2011
39 Posts
I've posted on this thread a few times, I guess I should introduce myself. 99% of the time I'm browsing on my phone, and it's a pain to type so I haven't bothered, so here I go.

I was lucky enough to grow up in Laguna, and basically learned slope flying in 1980 up at what we used to call "Zell", the spot in Laguna Keith mentioned. We flew 72" floaters, on the North End of Alta Laguna before there were houses over there. The lift was really light and not good at all, but we didn't know any better and our floaters would fly in anything so we loved it.

A few years later, we met some flyers flying over at Zell (probably some of you guys on this site), that introduced us to and advanced us to what we thought was really high performance slope planes. My interested took off from there.

I've come in and out of the hobby, mostly out, always flying slope. I've pretty much always had one or two flyable planes, but haven't been out flying much. I bought an EDF Jet a couple years ago, and have been toying with and enjoying learning about electrics. That's where I'm now, Lar's talked me into my first T-28 a month ago, and it looks like I'm hooked again.

At this point as far as gliders, I have an old Zagi and a vintage Silhouette that is still an absolute blast to fly. I hope to get to meet some of you out at the slope.
Jim
sos42sloper is offline Find More Posts by sos42sloper
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:59 AM
Joined Mar 2011
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeevyhouse View Post
Not much time left until the PSS Fest, y'know!

Keith, you have to fill me in on what PSS is all about. I haven't been to Fermin in 15 years, the photo's on the PSS link look awesome...
Jim
Old Mar 27, 2011, 02:32 AM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,327 Posts
Went up to fly today, 10-15mph again. Good news though, the plane blew out of the tree and landed in some soft bushes .
Mr. Combat Certain is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:24 AM
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sos42sloper View Post
Keith, you have to fill me in on what PSS is all about. I haven't been to Fermin in 15 years, the photo's on the PSS link look awesome...
Jim
Hi Jim,
Go to the PSS fest this year at Cajon Summit, it's held every other year. It is definitely a premiere PSS event. The Inland Slope Rebels run a first class event. Their raffle is not too shabby either.
Tom
Old Mar 27, 2011, 09:56 AM
Joined Mar 2011
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME View Post
Hi Jim,
Go to the PSS fest this year at Cajon Summit, it's held every other year. It is definitely a premiere PSS event. The Inland Slope Rebels run a first class event. Their raffle is not too shabby either.
Tom
Sounds awesome. What plane would you recommend, that could be built relatively quickly?
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:07 AM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,194 Posts
Jim, you have now been commanded to go to the PSS Fest! As far as quick planes for you to build... would you prefer glass or EPP?

Here are some pics I took last time. I never got around to editing them, so there are tons of pics but lots of repeats & not-so-good shots:
Day 1 at Fermin

Day 2 at Cajon

Day 3 at Cajon

And of course, Lars flying my Macchi Folgore, doing some inverted half-pipes:

Macchi inverted half pipes (0 min 49 sec)

-Keith
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kpeevyhouse; Mar 27, 2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:33 AM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,194 Posts
Hey Jim,

Lars was thinking of getting rid of his Aircobra. It looks great ('cause he didn't build it ) and is ready to fly. 48" glass plane. Should fly awesome. Give him a call.

-Keith
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:35 AM
Joined Mar 2011
39 Posts
Great pic's Keith, PSS looks like a blast!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 01:12 AM
Joined Mar 2011
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeevyhouse View Post
Hey Jim,

Lars was thinking of getting rid of his Aircobra. It looks great ('cause he didn't build it ) and is ready to fly. 48" glass plane. Should fly awesome. Give him a call.

-Keith
Dang it Keith, you and your cool pictures. How did I go from asking about what pss is to buying a plane in one day! Dang internet...
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:45 AM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,194 Posts
...one of us...one of us...

RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:15 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,782 Posts
Tom,

Going to Los Banos this year? I think that is coming up mid April? Planning to attend though I don't know much of the details. What do I need to know?

-Wayne

p.s. None of my planes are set up for aero-tow, there is slope, right?
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!