HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2011, 04:51 PM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
997 Posts
Boared

Sounds crazy, but I'm heading over to Shapell just to check it out... and bringing the coyote only just in case!

Yea... where would you land?

Jeff
oletimer is offline Find More Posts by oletimer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2011, 05:27 PM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,189 Posts
I absolutely HATE having this much wind, and coming from the wrong direction!

*sigh*

At least I'm making some headway with my new mold. I'm working on making some templates for the fiberglass cloth, and in a bit Ill be spraying some PVA.

I'm calling it my "mini-Macchi", although the full size is called the Macchi Folgore. It's a scale fuse, and scale wings would be 24" span. I'll likely stretch the wings to around 26"-27". I'm hoping to have a whole fleet of them at the PSS Fest.

-Keith
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2011, 06:15 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,590 Posts
Good to hear you are out having some fun. Seams I came down with a nasty case of Mono to play with. It takes all my energy just to wake up these days.. :P

-Wayne
Rotozuk is online now Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 21, 2011, 01:44 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,321 Posts
9mph+ S right now water tower should be fun today...
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:17 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,076 Posts
Went to Lilly's after work today. The wind was straight on the slope and 10-15. I flew the Kawasaki I got from Dave. It was the second time I flew it and wanted to get it more dialed before Cajon. It's definitely not a sled. I dialed in some expo on the ailerons and elev. The CG is pretty far back but it holds a solid loop and flys inverted almost hands off. If it had a way to put ballast in it, it would really rip. It's built light so I'm a little wary of loading it up too much. Craig showed up as I was about to launch and flew his speedo. Thor and Max(the polite young lads) came by to watch. Fun time!
TRISME is online now Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Mar 22, 2011, 02:49 PM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME View Post
Went to Lilly's after work today. The wind was straight on the slope and 10-15. I flew the Kawasaki I got from Dave. It was the second time I flew it and wanted to get it more dialed before Cajon. It's definitely not a sled. I dialed in some expo on the ailerons and elev. The CG is pretty far back but it holds a solid loop and flys inverted almost hands off. If it had a way to put ballast in it, it would really rip. It's built light so I'm a little wary of loading it up too much. Craig showed up as I was about to launch and flew his speedo. Thor and Max(the polite young lads) came by to watch. Fun time!
Sounds like fun .

Just me up at salvador for a while, same 10-15mph all day managed to get some great footage with the keychain camera. lil-Lewis came up and we had fun combatting and going through trees (and into them). The only unfortunate thing was lewis's plane got blown over and is currently sitting on a rooftop . Noone was home (I think it's a summer home) so until it blows down or the homeowner gets it down it's stuck...
Old Mar 25, 2011, 09:48 PM
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,076 Posts
I stopped by Lilly's on my way home. It was straight in and 10-15. I flew Dave's KA-6 and the KI-61. Nice time, I thought about video with my iPhone, but I need two hands to fly. : ) This weekend and next week looks promising.
Tom
Old Mar 26, 2011, 02:38 AM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,321 Posts
Today was good too, 10-12mph just Lewis and I smacking wings. Just before I was about to leave, my wing got stuck in the plane-eating eucalyptus . It's spending the night up there, I hope the battery isn't damaged when I retrieve it tomorrow.

What's the best way to restore Ni-MH batteries after they have been drained? Should I cycle them?
Old Mar 26, 2011, 04:06 AM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,189 Posts
I was so tempted to go to Lilly's today, but instead I decided to continue doing some fuse and wing layups. Not much time left until the PSS Fest, y'know!
But it sure did look like a nice day to fly.

Jordan, somebody should accidentally cut down that tree at Salvador. Maybe I'll just happen to leave a chainsaw at the slope, and maybe some hooligan will decide to do some constructive vandalism. I, of course, will disavow any knowledge of the alleged incident.
Regarding the battery pack, it'll probably be just fine. Put it on the wall wart charger overnight, and then cycle it with your fancy new charger to see how many mAh's go into it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2011, 09:32 AM
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,076 Posts
It'll probably still have a charge on it. Like Keith said, don't fast charge it. It would probably false peak and not be up to full capacity.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:49 AM
It was a radio hit...I swear!
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Jun 2008
609 Posts
Now we are talking!!!

Hey, they just put up a big Sony flat panel screen at my work (the Ziggurat building In Laguna Niguel - right across from Lilly) right at the South entrance. It is there as an informational aide to building visitors and tenants. Guess what it shows as one of the informational bits? Yes you guessed it...wind speed and direction based on sensors that have just been installed on top of the building. What more can I ask for ? Finally, the government got smart and put our tax/stimulus money to good use for once!! I'll see if we can have them appropriate some more money to build a runway at Lilly Or maybe I should talk to the building administrator to have that information posted/included on windfinder.com.

I love America!
slopeaddict is offline Find More Posts by slopeaddict
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:02 PM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,704 Posts
If not windfinder, perhaps wunderground.
SumthinsFishy is online now Find More Posts by SumthinsFishy
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:23 PM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeevyhouse View Post

Jordan, somebody should accidentally cut down that tree at Salvador. Maybe I'll just happen to leave a chainsaw at the slope, and maybe some hooligan will decide to do some constructive vandalism. I, of course, will disavow any knowledge of the alleged incident.
Regarding the battery pack, it'll probably be just fine. Put it on the wall wart charger overnight, and then cycle it with your fancy new charger to see how many mAh's go into it.
Hmmm... not a bad idea, just need to find one that isn't so loud ...

Anyways, I tried throwing whatever I could find at it, It moved from the branch it was sitting in, and instead wedged itself in another ! I hit it multiple times but it's in pretty good. I'll take some string and stuff and see if it'll come down...
Old Mar 26, 2011, 04:18 PM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orni-freak View Post
... I'll take some string and stuff and see if it'll come down...
I don't think that string will be enough to bring down that tree...
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2011, 05:23 PM
Joined Mar 2011
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orni-freak View Post
Hmmm... not a bad idea, just need to find one that isn't so loud ...

Anyways, I tried throwing whatever I could find at it, It moved from the branch it was sitting in, and instead wedged itself in another ! I hit it multiple times but it's in pretty good. I'll take some string and stuff and see if it'll come down...
I've used a fishing pole with a small weight and no hook, to snag the branch so you can gentle pull and shake the branch.Took over an hour but eventually got it. Good luck.
sos42sloper is offline Find More Posts by sos42sloper