Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 09, 2011, 11:14 AM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,321 Posts
watch out guys!

I went up to salvador yesterday, winds were just flyable, nothing spectacular. I crashed my wing on top of the bushes on the left side, so I walked across the top of em to get it. I saw that my plane was on the overhang, so I went to reach down and grab it. Right as I'm reaching, a loud ratlle goes off ! I jump up and saw that about 2 1/2' away there was a ratllesnake on top of the bushes !!!!

I think I got lucky yesterday. if he didn't rattle, I would've not seen him, and would have been in striking distance. Just a warning guys, watch out ...
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2011, 12:32 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,586 Posts
Yep it is snake season again. All the reptiles are awake and feeding again. Should be plenty of food out to with all of the green hills this year.

We saw a small snake above the vw dealer the other day. Red and yellow, whatever it was. Just sitting on the trail.
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 09, 2011, 11:53 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Yep it is snake season again. All the reptiles are awake and feeding again. Should be plenty of food out to with all of the green hills this year.

We saw a small snake above the vw dealer the other day. Red and yellow, whatever it was. Just sitting on the trail.
Red Racer? solid red/solid yellow?
Make lots of noise and walk slow. Take a big stick and whack the ground and bushes as you go down. Snakes would much rather split, if they know you're coming. They don't like being surprised just like us.
TRISME is online now Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Mar 10, 2011, 02:31 PM
Joined Mar 2011
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME View Post
Red Racer? solid red/solid yellow?
Make lots of noise and walk slow. Take a big stick and whack the ground and bushes as you go down. Snakes would much rather split, if they know you're coming. They don't like being surprised just like us.
Very good advice. I was flying back in the hills of Laguna Niguel on Saturday with my 5yo and two dogs. My dogs were running in the bushes and I heard the distinctive rattle, scared the cr%p out of me. Grabbed my 5yo, and screamed at the dogs to get back (The Golden Retriever was sticking out his nose at the rattle snake with the typical dumb Golden "will you be my friend..." look.) Dumb dog almost got bit, they don't know any better.

Anyways, probably a King Snake, I don't think we have Coral Snakes here. Remember the childhood rhyme:

Red touches Yellow, Dangerous Fellow, Red touches Black, Friend of Jack...
sos42sloper is offline Find More Posts by sos42sloper
Old Mar 10, 2011, 02:43 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sos42sloper View Post
Very good advice. I was flying back in the hills of Laguna Niguel on Saturday with my 5yo and two dogs. My dogs were running in the bushes and I heard the distinctive rattle, scared the cr%p out of me. Grabbed my 5yo, and screamed at the dogs to get back (The Golden Retriever was sticking out his nose at the rattle snake with the typical dumb Golden "will you be my friend..." look.) Dumb dog almost got bit, they don't know any better.

Anyways, probably a King Snake, I don't think we have Coral Snakes here. Remember the childhood rhyme:

Red touches Yellow, Dangerous Fellow, Red touches Black, Friend of Jack...
Are king snakes even in this region? I know Coral snakes aren't, thank goodness...
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Mar 10, 2011, 04:43 PM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,189 Posts
Don't forget to bring your whacking stick...

kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2011, 05:32 PM
Joined Mar 2011
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orni-freak View Post
Are king snakes even in this region? I know Coral snakes aren't, thank goodness...
Yes, I had a "California King snake" in my Barbecue of all places, they are black with fine yellow stripes. We also have Red/Yellow/Black King Snakes here, but I've only ever seen them on Catalina Island...

Keith, what hat did you pull that picture of Homer out of..., to funny.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 07:13 PM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sos42sloper View Post
Keith, what hat did you pull that picture of Homer out of..., to funny.
It's from the "Whacking Day" episode, where the whole town goes out and whacks snakes with sticks.

All this talk about snakes, and I don't recall ever seeing one here in So Cal. Of course, now I've jinxed myself, and I'll probably find one in my shoes tomorrow morning.
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2011, 07:42 PM
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,074 Posts
Lots of pics
http://www.freesnake.com/kin1.html
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:55 AM
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,074 Posts
I stopped at Lilly's after work on Tues. Two boys were waiting for someone to show up to fly. The older one mentioned Jeff and his Predator. They sure asked a lot of questions. I flew the Red/White KA-6. They liked the aerobatics(I guess they're easily impressed), but said Jeff's plane was much faster. : )
I hope they get into it.
Tom
Old Mar 17, 2011, 01:48 PM
Joined Mar 2011
39 Posts
Quote:
I stopped at Lilly's after work on Tues. Two boys were waiting for someone to show up to fly. The older one mentioned Jeff and his Predator. They sure asked a lot of questions. I flew the Red/White KA-6. They liked the aerobatics(I guess they're easily impressed), but said Jeff's plane was much faster. : )
I hope they get into it.
Tom
Very cool Tom, I hope they get into it as well. The kids you mentioned reminds me of years ago me and my buddy saving up bus fare and 7 bucks each, to head out to Play Co in El Toro to buy a Wanderer kit...

Jim
Old Mar 20, 2011, 01:53 PM
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,074 Posts
I bet it's perfect at Back Bay right now.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 04:24 PM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
997 Posts
Water towers

I was thinking of heading over to Water towers? it is blowing maybe 35 here, but the surf report says its only 3 knts!...? Can't see how thats possible.
The Coyote is howling right now to go out!

Hey Tom... wanna race? Yea.. those kids are very nice boys. they even asked if it was OK to talk to you when you fly just in case they would be distracting! Thought that was very impressive for kids today. I took their picture with my plane and they foreworded to their Mom right away.... Maybe this would be good residence relations for Lilly Shapell flyers!

Wind just wipped by my house from 5 to 45... back to 5! think I will stay home and build instead!

Jeff
oletimer is offline Find More Posts by oletimer
Old Mar 20, 2011, 04:26 PM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
997 Posts
Newport?

Quote:
I bet it's perfect at Back Bay right now.
Can you still fly there with all the houses now? Thought that was all over when they built those homes there!

Jeff
oletimer is offline Find More Posts by oletimer
Old Mar 20, 2011, 04:38 PM
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,074 Posts
I've flown there a couple of times since then. The last time was about a year ago. From Dover, I turn right into the church parking lot and go to the end by the daycare. There is a walking trail entrance and I just hoof it about 1-2 min. to the slope. You can't stand on the edge of the slope like you used to, (kinda sketchy). Definitely think about your LZ before you launch.