HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2011, 10:54 PM
Launch and Recovery System
United States, CA, Laguna Beach
Joined Apr 2008
1,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeevyhouse View Post
Must have been great lift! You have a fairly high wing loading...
I get it, fat joke. hardy frickin har har. actually it is kinda funny
L.A.R.S. is offline Find More Posts by L.A.R.S.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2011, 11:15 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME View Post
I flew Sat., but I'm bummed I missed out on Sun. Am I just being greedy?
Tom
No, I'd feel the same way ...
Mr. Combat Certain is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Nov 08, 2011, 06:07 PM
Summer... is my time of year
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
6,671 Posts
Hello to all ,
My name is Rubio.
My hobbies have always been surfing or cars. I did some triathlons for quite a while long ago. I tried slope at the long beach bluffs in the late 90's. It was tough but I did fly. Never got past the beginner blues.
Last year a bought a cub and that laid the path to the skies. My hanger is mostly full of warbirds. I do fly a radian sloping with my surf buddy BXSKI. He and I fly the hills over my house and the meadow belowwith power. I have caught a few great wind days the past few weeks and I really loved the flying. I finally finished the build on the Passer I bought. The manual says 66 mm for GG.
I'm wondering if anyone out there has this plane. If so what are you using for CG??
Thanks ,
Rubio
67econoline is online now Find More Posts by 67econoline
Old Nov 08, 2011, 06:17 PM
Launch and Recovery System
United States, CA, Laguna Beach
Joined Apr 2008
1,367 Posts
Hi, if that's what it says I would start with that. Then you can try the dive test to adjust the cg as needed to your preference. The dive test is this...
when putting your plane into a 45 degree dive with neutral elevator and it holds at 45(or just ever so slightly pulls up) then your good. if it pulls up then its nose heavy(yes, trust me, it sounds weird but true)
If it dives down then its nose light(again, I know, no I dont have the two mixed up)
Nav

PS here are some guys talking about a passer and cg and they seem to be in that area...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ser+cg&page=15
L.A.R.S. is offline Find More Posts by L.A.R.S.
Last edited by L.A.R.S.; Nov 08, 2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 06:58 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVINOD View Post
Hi, if that's what it says I would start with that. Then you can try the dive test to adjust the cg as needed to your preference. The dive test is this...
when putting your plane into a 45 degree dive with neutral elevator and it holds at 45(or just ever so slightly pulls up) then your good. if it pulls up then its nose heavy(yes, trust me, it sounds weird but true)
If it dives down then its nose light(again, I know, no I dont have the two mixed up)
Nav

PS here are some guys talking about a passer and cg and they seem to be in that area...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ser+cg&page=15
What Lars said plus the picture attached below.

And Craig (aka SOS-TopGunsBro) flies a Passer and could most likely give you advice. He also does a little local distribution for R2 Hobbies so send him a PM or something if you're looking to buy anything from R2 in the future.
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Nov 08, 2011, 07:25 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67econoline View Post
Hello to all ,
My name is Rubio.
My hobbies have always been surfing or cars. I did some triathlons for quite a while long ago. I tried slope at the long beach bluffs in the late 90's. It was tough but I did fly. Never got past the beginner blues.
Last year a bought a cub and that laid the path to the skies. My hanger is mostly full of warbirds. I do fly a radian sloping with my surf buddy BXSKI. He and I fly the hills over my house and the meadow belowwith power. I have caught a few great wind days the past few weeks and I really loved the flying. I finally finished the build on the Passer I bought. The manual says 66 mm for GG.
I'm wondering if anyone out there has this plane. If so what are you using for CG??
Thanks ,
Rubio
Hello Rubio,

I've got a Passer too, and the 66mm is what I use and is perfect if you like your planes neutral. Bxski has come down to San Clemente to fly a couple times, you should come down too!
Mr. Combat Certain is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Nov 08, 2011, 09:00 PM
Summer... is my time of year
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
6,671 Posts
Thanks Guys !!!
I set at 66mm . And do the dive test. If you ever see that Econoline in my avatar. That's me!!! I'll see if I can get to misty sometime. I have good luck at my local spots so I usually lurk there...
67econoline is online now Find More Posts by 67econoline
Old Nov 08, 2011, 10:48 PM
San Clemente CA,
Joined Dec 2005
76 Posts
Le Fish Scratch Build (OUCH!)

Well I've been holding off the post, have not put pix in any order but thought I might share the status. Some of you may know of LEG's issues with stocking drove me to start a scratch build of the ever so popular Le Fish and bringing it to it's hype, we have to thank Dawson from Arizona with videos of his "mad light" and most intriguing "mad elevator" flying. I commandeered the hot wire cutting services of Ornifreak's Salvador designs to cut me the cores and fuse but not without the help of Doug Montgomery, purchasing templates and pulley system from him, which I recommend highly if you desire to put yourself through the torture of scratch building, I know I did! Decided to use a plug on wing due to it's 66" model. I have built this type of wing for a couple of kits from Steve Drake (Gulp builder) because it works very well, and besides; it would not fit into my 83 Buick, LOL.
jcortiz is offline Find More Posts by jcortiz
Last edited by jcortiz; Nov 09, 2011 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Pix
Old Nov 09, 2011, 12:44 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,596 Posts
Looks very good!

Sounds like you went for the LEG ride too.. Arghh!
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 09, 2011, 10:16 AM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,079 Posts
Looks cool Carlos! I can't wait to see it fly.
TRISME is online now Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Nov 09, 2011, 10:51 AM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,189 Posts
Hey Craig,

Out of curiosity, do you have any pics that show the side view of your brother's SOS's? I'm wondering how he separated the top/bottom colors on his fuse. I'm referring to the red/white/black checker-y one.

kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2011, 01:29 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jul 2009
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeevyhouse View Post
Hey Craig,

Out of curiosity, do you have any pics that show the side view of your brother's SOS's? I'm wondering how he separated the top/bottom colors on his fuse. I'm referring to the red/white/black checker-y one.

Here You Go......
SOS-TopGunsBro is offline Find More Posts by SOS-TopGunsBro
Old Nov 09, 2011, 05:16 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Yesterday and today the winds were pretty light at Fermin, but strait in. Both some great days. After landing on top today (shows how light it was) I took the extra time to show an interested couple who had been watching from the gazebo how to make the magic smoke. I had unplugged the battery after landing and decided to plug it back in to explain the aileron action and well… suffice it to say I may rethink my setup using a battery with a 2 pin male plugging into a 3 pin female extension cable.

I don’t know if I’m totally screwed as I think the short circuit may have “unbound” the Rx and that is it, or perhaps worse. All I know is the little orange light was blinking when I plugged it back in correctly. I also know that at least one of the servos got toasted as it made a nice black hole in the servo cover. Will report more this evening I guess.
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Nov 09, 2011, 05:19 PM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,189 Posts
That sucks. I've fried an expensive receiver doing that, but never a servo.
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2011, 05:36 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,596 Posts
Strange enough I fried a servo last night. But in a slightly different way. I had a brand new servo I was installing in an Alula clone. I had it cut and installed, and was connecting to the receiver to center the servos when I discovered that one of the servos was locked up, but humming. I did not have a spare servo, and already cut the holes in the wing, so I'll have to fix it. I open up the servo and find the gears are jammed. I fix the issue and close it up.. Not an easy task as these are some TINY gears. So now I want to test it before I screw the case back together. I turn on the radio and plug the servo into my reciever.. Hmm. nothing at all. Then I discovered I plugged into the telemetry port on my receiver. Weel, it turns our that the manufacturers warning about not plugging a servo into that port is 100% true. It neuters servos very effectively.

Now I have to go borrow a servo to finish the plane.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor