HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2011, 02:59 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jul 2009
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oletimer View Post
I am thinking if it picks up any!
Wind is coming around to a West. That may be good! if not this is a perfect build day anyways!
Wayne... What is a sisu? Soaring USA? what one?
It seems the rain is letting up and the sun is peaking through with the winds holding up. I will probably try Lilly's around 2 or 3 if it stays dry......Dark by 5:00pm now
SOS-TopGunsBro is offline Find More Posts by SOS-TopGunsBro
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2011, 03:01 PM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
997 Posts
must not be good!

Apparently everyone else is watching for signs too! I'm not the only one sitting at my computer also.

I can see the pine trees bending a little, but can't tell what direction it is coming from? Some sunshine too. Maybe I'll bring a plane when I drive by... My get lucky.

Kieth, I have seen your post on the Mini Mucchchhiiirieoril or how ever you say it. I am interested still. PM me with details for it.

Also the nylon works good for peel ply? I got the roller and cutting matt... It's a start!

Jeff
oletimer is offline Find More Posts by oletimer
Old Nov 06, 2011, 03:06 PM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,189 Posts
Hey Jeff,

I'll be making some more mini-Macchi kits once Lars gets the workbench cleared of his current project. It's a CNC foam cutter, so that's a good project to have.

I DO have one kit available, but it's a fairly heavy layup fuse, with 24" span foam cores. It probably won't build out to a good 11oz plane, more likely 13-14 oz, but still flyable on a good day at Top of the World.

I've heard that ripstop nylon from a fabric store is a cheap alternative to peel ply, but I've never used it myself.
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2011, 03:07 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,319 Posts
Still south here, come on down to SC for some DS action the wind is fiiiine ...
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Nov 06, 2011, 04:03 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,041 Posts
I'm fixing my M-60 for the next good day at the tank. I will be selling Ryan's M-60 if anybody is interested. It will be rtf. It is covered in laminating film and has a gooped fuse. Solid plane in need of a paint job.
Tom
TRISME is offline Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Nov 06, 2011, 04:11 PM
It was a radio hit...I swear!
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Jun 2008
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oletimer View Post
Also the nylon works good for peel ply? I got the roller and cutting matt... It's a start!

Jeff
Jeff,

Walmart by Kite Hill has the stuff in the picture that I used for my bagging. It works just fine. I think I paid between 2 and 3 dollars per yard and it is pretty wide also so you get alot of material. 100% nylon and the texture is really fine (which doesn't really matter if you are going to use mylars). Just an option for you
slopeaddict is offline Find More Posts by slopeaddict
Old Nov 06, 2011, 04:28 PM
It was a radio hit...I swear!
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Jun 2008
606 Posts
By the way Jeff, a couple of things about the Walmart nylon:

1) Give credit where credit is due - Adrian is the one that told me about it. Thumbs up for Adrian

2) A big guy like you is going to look really cute shopping for nylon cloth in the textile material section at Walmart The women in the department, and the various mons and grandmas that are shopping there will look at you like you are some kind of freak looking for a victim
slopeaddict is offline Find More Posts by slopeaddict
Old Nov 06, 2011, 06:53 PM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,189 Posts
Be sure to walk into the fabric department with a grin on your face, kinda like that guy from Silence of the Lambs who liked to "sew".

kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2011, 06:54 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Jun 2008
4,282 Posts
He HE

Dont worry big guy you ll fit right in ha ha ha
Dick J is offline Find More Posts by Dick J
Old Nov 06, 2011, 07:40 PM
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Oct 2009
573 Posts
finally a giggleworthy day at sea point
epp mig-3 happy too
steeg is offline Find More Posts by steeg
Old Nov 06, 2011, 08:03 PM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,319 Posts
Tried the water tank today, didn't even bother flying just ran to the top and confirmed it was no longer blowing South, so I went over to try Misty. Arrived at 2:10, no wind. Tossed out anyway, no lift period. At 2:12, it was howling at 17mph WSW, I'm still hiking down to get my plane at this point! Great wind all day, the Gulp ripped and the Deadbeat screamed. And this was just a teaser for what's to come...!!!!
Old Nov 06, 2011, 09:45 PM
Throw it, sort it out later
United States, CA, Dana Point
Joined May 2011
112 Posts
Ocelot Madien

Madien my Ocelot this evening. Could not ask for a nicer madien. Flew the NW slope of Tick hill/ Flagpole in San Juan Capistrano. Perfect for the steady 6 to 12 MPH Gust to 20 MPH WNW wind this evening. Tossed my Moth out first and found dead air right away on the SW facing slope . A rough hike thru the thick brush recovered the moth. Thought the wind was dying so tossed the Ocelot. Wow what a nice flying plane. It flys fast or slow. I tested my flaps and it sored slow and got floaty like a radian. I know because my buddy Rubio was flying his radian. We actual had a mid air circling in a thermal that 20 or so birds were cirling in. No damage to the ocelot slight chunk of foam out of the radian. Sorry rube was not planing on using the ocelot as a combat plane. The wind picked up and so did the lift. The Ocelot is aawsome plane. No tip stalls, slows down nicely with flaps, flies fast and seems to turn on rails. Had a good soft landing using the flaps, floated right in.
Jordan we were just around the corner from you. If the wind is West or North this is a good call. Ed
Bxski is offline Find More Posts by Bxski
Old Nov 06, 2011, 10:17 PM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,319 Posts
^ Sweet! That Ocelot looks fast! I thought Tick Hill had a N slope didn't think it would be flyable. Well you know where to find me on the next windy day ...
Old Nov 06, 2011, 10:47 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Headed to Lilly's around 2:30 and had a wonderful afternoon. When I got there Jeff (oletimer) had the slope all to himself flying his vector. Soon after I got there Mike Lance showed up and then Craig followed a bit later by Dick and then Lars.

I'm pretty stoaked as Mike was able to sign me off and I can now fly there anytime as long as there is another registered flier there. I hear the next step is to get 6 sigs from other fliers but I've yet to locate such a form so... anyone know where this is or do I just get sigs on any old paper? Or... is this rule really in effect at the moment?

Anyways, it was some really spectacular lift. Jeff with his Vector and Craig and Lars with their Spiders and of course the Speedos. To top it off though, Craig capped off everyone's evening by flying his SOS 60 for the first time at Lilly's. What a beautiful bird. I have some video from my phone which I will post as soon as I can get it edited.
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Nov 06, 2011, 11:53 PM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
997 Posts
Im feeling the love!

Thanks Fabio... you should have been a Lilly's today around 2:30 on. Was fair to great slope, and even could get high enough for some good thermal dives.
Fun to meet Jonathan. His son is a hand full and cute as a button! I think we have a 3rd gen flyer on our hands here!
Thanks for the nylon tip Kieth and Fabio. I have more questions now, but can save for that in person kind of forum. And think I will have my freddie mask on when I wander into the Walmart fabric section. Should get lousy service then... even for wallmart!
What a great day afterall! (Small world theme playes in back of mind!)
Well, flying after work is now officially out for next 5 months! Get building and fixing those planes guys! Winter winds are on the way. I think I will need some help Fabio with my Aircobra build.... I'm just saying because Tom & I were figuring since we have not seen you, and your done with the house, that you have been in the garage like Frankenstien pounding out more planes and bagged parts then a budgetless Peaveyhouse on steroids! (now there is a picture for you locals!!!)

Nice to see Lars and Craig out having fun on the slope again. Thanks Lars for letting me try your spyder. I could tell it wanted to fly, but I don't like pushing someone elses plane. I could see you were doing just fine eating up the slope like normal! Can't wait to see your new planes. See... you give me your 2 planes, and two more new ones you get to replace them! Nice! (especially for me!)

Oletimer/Jeff
oletimer is offline Find More Posts by oletimer