SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:45 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME View Post
It's not as convenient for you as Laguna. Besides all the snakes, no lift, long hike, and over crowding from hostile locals, it's not a bad place.
Tom
I'm confused, what site are you referring to? Hostile locals?

Yeah, I kind of hate Lars and his Spider 60. He just gets that thing ripping around in nothing. Bastard!
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2011, 02:54 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
I'm confused, what site are you referring to? Hostile locals?

Yeah, I kind of hate Lars and his Spider 60. He just gets that thing ripping around in nothing. Bastard!
You did notice the smiley face?
TRISME is online now Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Feb 24, 2011, 04:36 PM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
999 Posts
Top of World location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeevyhouse View Post
Yep, it was a pretty nice afternoon with relaxing, good lift conditions. I'm glad you made it out there Craig... it's always good to have new people at our local slope.
I have walked the ridge there from the East end... what are the directions and location your flying at there? Did not look like what I saw when I went up there.

Thanks,
Jeff
oletimer is offline Find More Posts by oletimer
Old Feb 24, 2011, 04:48 PM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,193 Posts
Jeff,

Check out my post #24 earlier in this thread for the Laguna Beach site. I put a Google Earth file that you can load, or you can plug in the latitude & longitude in Google maps. West to Southwest winds are flyable, and the lift band can be very wide left to right.

You can check out some of my videos on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/kpeevyhouse
Watch the ones from March31, 2010 like the P-51 Penetrator and Telos videos. They show a good windy day with me flying glass planes.

-Keith
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2011, 07:57 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oletimer View Post
I have walked the ridge there from the East end... what are the directions and location your flying at there? Did not look like what I saw when I went up there.

Thanks,
Jeff
That happened to me too .
Mr. Combat Certain is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:22 PM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
999 Posts
Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeevyhouse View Post
Jeff,

Check out my post #24 earlier in this thread for the Laguna Beach site. I put a Google Earth file that you can load, or you can plug in the latitude & longitude in Google maps. West to Southwest winds are flyable, and the lift band can be very wide left to right.

You can check out some of my videos on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/kpeevyhouse
Watch the ones from March31, 2010 like the P-51 Penetrator and Telos videos. They show a good windy day with me flying glass planes.

-Keith
Yea, I saw these before and that is when I said to myself... "hey.. this looks way different from the spot I went to"
Wayne told me it was from the other end by the homes where he parks and flies.
this looks like a nice place to fly... maybe the Long/lat's I can put into my GPS and get there. I live by Lilly's and was able to slermal today but the Top Of the World says it's 15 there now... Lilly's was maybe 8 - 10... maybe!

Next South Dry time I will head over there.
Thanks guys! see you there.
Jeff
oletimer is offline Find More Posts by oletimer
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:19 PM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,327 Posts
Hey W wind at 10mph already! Get out and fly before the rain hits !
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:03 AM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,327 Posts
WHITECAPS today and no rain !!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 26, 2011, 08:55 PM
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,299 Posts
Nice wind today. Jeff had his Predator ripping it up when I got to Lilly's. He even offered up the transmitter to let me try it, I didn't even have to beg. Jonathon and Fabio showed up and we had three M-60s doing some nice formation pumps. Jonathon's fin came off and fluttered away when we contacted. He only brought one plane and thought he was done, but Dick found it out in the street.
Fabio flew his Zero and Jeff flew the Coyote for a while. I flew my Vindicator with some lead in it, and then maidened the KI-61 that Dave gave me. I was a little nervous to toss the KI-61 'cause it's the only one, but it flew sweet right out of Fabio's hands. Ken showed up with a few planes just before I left too. I left the wingbeds to my Vindy there and Fabio drove them over to my house. Thanks Fabio! A good day on the slope!
Tom
Last edited by TRISME; Feb 26, 2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 02:38 AM
Gear Up And Locked
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
Hello OC Flyers,
I lived in Huntington Beach in the 80's and flew at a bluff overlooking the Santa Ana river nearby a school that I think was called Estanchia. The bluff was in the vicinity of Brookhurst and Adams. I moved from HB in 1987 to the SF Bay Area. On numerous trips back to OC I've stopped by the bluff and no one was flying, even when the wind was blowing straight against the bluff.

Why is there no one flying there any longer? (or maybe I've been there at the wrong times). Has there been some sort of restriction imposed upon this site restricting the flying of RC aircraft along this bluff? Any info would be appreciated.
wicker_Bill is offline Find More Posts by wicker_Bill
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:55 AM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,327 Posts
We also had fun yesterday, both Johns and I were up there (and a few other locals). We had to hunker down from this stray rain/hail cloud at first, but once it passed it was great wind ! Had a good time combatting and ripping the slope apart with my Gulp! One of the locals finished the wing kit I sold him, so we managed to maiden that today. a few clicks of up trim and she was off! Very fast and very smooth, a great flying plane. We flew for about 4 hours then we left before the rain started coming down at 4. Another good day at salvador !!!
Old Feb 27, 2011, 01:36 PM
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,299 Posts
Hi Bill,
as far as I know you can still slope there. "Estancia" /"Fairview park". Guys fly electrics and thermal planes there in the mornings. There is a height restriction, I think 400ft. that is enforced. I haven't heard of it being closed down, so I think you can still slope there. I live close to some slopes down here. I have flown over there in the past.
Tom
Old Feb 27, 2011, 02:42 PM
Gear Up And Locked
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
Thanks for the update. On my next trip down I'll pack my 50 incher and stop by for some stick time. I think it's a nice spot. Nice sunsets on a clear afternoon. I Google Mapped it last night and it shows some pix of the sunsets and recent changes they have made to the park.

I fly at a hill in Livermore, CA by Lake Del Valle. It's a west hill so we fly electrics when the wind is not in our favor. Some of my planes heen a Coyote, Tercel, Talon, Sig Riser, Bridi EZ 100, and a Bridi WindSurfer 100 plus a few others including some glow fuel models.

Thanks again, Wicker Bill
wicker_Bill is offline Find More Posts by wicker_Bill
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:15 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,772 Posts
Miro & his son Filip, Shadow and Myself flew up at Top of the World on Saturday. I was not able to get there till later in the day, so Miro and Filip had been flying for maybe 2 hours already, and they were looking pretty cold by the time we got there. We flew pretty much everything we brought, but later in the day the wind shifted directions a bit and the lift dropped a level or two. We still had plenty of lift, but we had to scratch a bit more as all the wind was there to deal with. No trauma to report. Just a damn good day.

I really need to make up some ballast for the Typhoon. She finally showed signs of needing a heavy load of lead this weekend.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
Old Feb 28, 2011, 01:13 PM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,327 Posts
Wind W at 10mph now I'm seeing the waves getting choppy on the horizon could be fun today. Anyone wanna come down??