Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 01, 2011, 09:42 AM
North Royalton, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
397 Posts
Discussion
Looking for generator recommendations

Is there such an animal that is reasonably quiet, affordable (<$500), small (no huge monster with it's own frame and wheels), That can put out 1000W+ const. of clean power?

OR, Would a couple PB deep cycles still be the easier way to go?
jonnyspeed is offline Find More Posts by jonnyspeed
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2011, 11:24 AM
Extreme Flight Tech Support
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2005
816 Posts
Trust me...spend the money... get a Honda...

Quiet.
durable
Quiet
Efficient...

oh... and quiet!
exeter_acres is offline Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Old Feb 01, 2011, 12:15 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Or the yamaha. It's also a very nice genset.

I've spent some serious time trying to figure out an alternative including building a new muffler system for a cheaper generator, but it really looks like the honda/yamaha is the best option. In all of the reading I've done, people that have built muffler systems were able to knock off 40-50% of the noise, but never more than that because the exhaust noise goes away and your left with engine mechanical noise that you just can't do anything about.

I don't know about batteries since I haven't bought any, but from my experience with deep cycle batteries on my RV, they don't last more than 3 years or so even if you do take care of them and they are going to be at least $200.

I figure that a little 2kw $1000 genset is probably better in the long run because it's cheaper to maintain, it's more portable, provides as much power as you want, gives you an AC outlet at the field, and the resell value is WAY better.

You can spend $1000 on a genset and if you take care of it, sell it 3 seasons later and they are still worth $700.
akschu is offline Find More Posts by akschu
Old Feb 01, 2011, 01:08 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,632 Posts
This one is $500 but there are mixed reviews on it.

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....tor/p2569.html

One point to be aware of is that a Honda purchased on-line most likely will not be covered under warranty.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Feb 01, 2011, 01:19 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,264 Posts
I would think that there would at least be a factory warranty.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Feb 01, 2011, 01:25 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
They really arent that cheap although I have seen some decent deals online but if you want reliable and quite definitely get the Honda. They are really quiet.
chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
Old Feb 01, 2011, 02:08 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
My local yamaha dealer sells the 2000i for $969 without taxes.

I can't find it cheaper online so I may go that route. Sure is spendy though....
akschu is offline Find More Posts by akschu
Old Feb 01, 2011, 02:41 PM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Yamaha, but I'm sure they are a quality unit.

I AM familiar with, and own, a 1,000 watt Honda. Go to your local dealer and listen to one. They only weigh 30 lbs with fuel, and the fuel is straight gasoline. Some inexpensive generators are 2 cycle engines. The Honda's are very quiet and have a feature where they idle down automatically to a VERY low sound level if the load isn't huge. A simple generator has to run at a constant speed, the Honda's are inverter generators and can idle down in use with low loads. Also, they are a very high quality inverter type sine wave supply. The waveform from cheap generators can damage a lot of electrical equipment.

Cliff
cliffh is offline Find More Posts by cliffh
Old Feb 01, 2011, 08:06 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,602 Posts
These places have good prices on the Honda/Yamaha generators:

http://www.wisesales.com/

http://www.mayberrys.com/
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Feb 02, 2011, 12:03 PM
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
164 Posts
Generators are used a lot in off road car racing, I’m around a bunch of generators of all types in the summer.

The Honda/Yamaha inverter models, just like nearly everyone says, are clearly better by any measure other than price. I don’t think good on gas (petrol?) has been mentioned though, another big advantage over most others. I used home backup as a justification (yep, fancy word for excuse), many of the other guys are almost unworkable because of their high gas consumption.

One possible in between is a Kipor. Seem to be a knockoff of the Honda, I’ve heard some parts are interchangeable even, not sure. One of our locals has one, appears to be a fairly decent unit. Was replaced with a larger Honda though when they went to a trailer, I can get details of their experience if you like. Not as quiet, don’t know about parts & service….

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Kip...RV_p_1530.html

After those, the only alternative for me would be one of the really cheap ones. I’ve seen what appears to be the same or nearly same model in various color schemes. Many of our local hardware and auto parts stores carry a version of this guy. The ones I have seen are somewhat quieter than most others save for the Honda/Yamaha inverter models. They tend to run kinda funny, surge a little if you will, but chargers/soldering irons/power supplies seem to work OK. 2 stroke, so you have mixing and a little oil smoke (mostly on start up). Fairly small & light. Might be borderline for your stated power requirements, as it’s only rated for 850W continuous. (almost the same for Hondas, the "1000" model is rated for 900W continuous)

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...135_200373135#

Most everything else I’ve seen is noisy, heavy, and burns a lot of fuel.
Bongo Fury is offline Find More Posts by Bongo Fury
Last edited by Bongo Fury; Feb 02, 2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2011, 01:12 PM
Bosque Farms, New Mexico
Joined Mar 2010
72 Posts
A friend of mine has three generators.They are all hondas in various sizes and they all run great.The first one is a newer larger models that runs on gas.It is very quiet,powerful(1000 watts),reliable and has built in inverter.He uses it only with his 40 size and larger planes because of its size.About the size of standard ice cooler.

The second one I'm impressed with the most.This generator is the smallest generator i've seen to date.Its about the size of a lunch box and is a 2 stroke.It doesnt put out alot a power but does the job,puts out about 350 watts.This is fine for his medium size planes that have 3cell 2500 max.The things I like about it the most is its size and weight (very portible).Also Very very quiet.My friend puts this generator in the front of his truck,runs a 15 foot power cord to where he is set up at and you CAN NOT hear it.You can bearly hear it from 5 feet.

The third one is also a smaller one but it does not put out alot of power.This one is very very old.He got this one from his father.This generator has to 30 years old if not older.One of hondas first generators for sure.The only reason why I mention this one is the fact that is still runs great.This told me that hondas are very reliable.It had not been run in years but still started right up.Just a little studder and a little puff of smoke for about 5 to 10 seconds then it went to running smooth as silk like it was new. Robert
RobDog1983 is offline Find More Posts by RobDog1983
Last edited by RobDog1983; Feb 04, 2011 at 01:48 PM.