SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2011, 05:25 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,128 Posts
Discussion
Hexa vs. Y6 - pros and cons of each system

Hey guys,

Can anyone tell me - from experience - the main differences, as well as pros and cons of each system? I would like to know more with regard to

- efficiency
- stability
- reliability

Basically anything you think should be mentioned comparing the two.

Would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Chris Burton is offline Find More Posts by Chris Burton
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2011, 10:59 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,787 Posts
I will be building my first 6-motor machine in a few weeks and have yet to make a decision. From what I have read the Hexa is more efficient than the Y6 but the Y6 may have better performance with a motor failure.

Has anyone actually flown a Hexa with a motor out? I know that the HoverFly guys have flown a Y6 with a motor out and was able to land ok. The other possible advantage of a Y6 is better camera view but that all depends on your camera and mount.

Another advantage of a Hexa is that the props set higher. I fly off the grass sometimes and would need long landing gear to Keep Y6 bottom props out of the grass. This is not an easy decision.

As far as stability all multi choppers that I have tried are very stable so I don’t think that’s a factor in making a decision.

?
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Feb 01, 2011, 01:33 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,252 Posts
i'm thinking of building a T6 instead of a Y6.. i've had a tri which crashed a few times cuz of loss orientation, now have a t-copter easier to orientate..
any thought on building a T6 instead of Y6..
barok is online now Find More Posts by barok
Old Feb 01, 2011, 02:08 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,128 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts, guys. I've received the kit and am currently assembling it as a Hexa. Looking good so far. Now I only need to attach the motors, calibrate the controller board and do a first test.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 04:34 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,787 Posts
My conclusion is that if you want both efficiency and motor failure protection that an Octa chopper configuration is the way to go.
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Feb 01, 2011, 04:48 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,128 Posts
Built is done. Very happy with the look. All's working although I haven't had a chance to fly and tweak yet due to the weather. Tomorrow is another day though: here's a pic next to my KK Micro Quad :-)

Cheers guys!
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:01 AM
"EMAXX!"
United States, AL, Thorsby
Joined Apr 2014
201 Posts
I spy: Nutella...
tmoon is offline Find More Posts by tmoon
RCG Plus Member