SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 01, 2011, 09:05 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,843 Posts
I've only tried it with alkaline batteries, and haven't had it on for more than about 10 minutes in a row yet so it's hard to say. I really only bought the VR and the bearing because of reviews I had read and not wanting to pay shipping twice. The firmware is definitely nice and improves usability.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2011, 08:29 AM
Joined Aug 2008
78 Posts
I just tried the receiver with alkaline batteries and the low voltage alert keep beeping...... I think mine is defective......

Any suggestions please?
jerome888 is offline Find More Posts by jerome888
Old Oct 02, 2011, 11:21 AM
Arc, spark and smoke...
upstate NY; Lake George region
Joined Mar 2006
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome888 View Post
I just tried the receiver with alkaline batteries and the low voltage alert keep beeping...... I think mine is defective......

Any suggestions please?
Sorry to hear that... mine is scheduled to arrive on Friday and I was hoping to try it on Saturday. Maybe I'll have to do some careful testing first!

Keep us up to date on your progress.

Take it easy,
desmobob
desmobob is offline Find More Posts by desmobob
Old Oct 02, 2011, 01:02 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome888 View Post

Any suggestions please?
You put alkaline batteries with the receiver or the transmitter? The low voltage alert is for the transmitter, not the receiver. There's no telemetry with this system.

If you turn the transmitter on, then turn the dial it'll go from showing the model name to showing the voltage. If it's under 9.6v, then you'll hear the alarm. There's no way that 8 healthy alkaline cells will be under that voltage though, they'll be more like 10.5-12v.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 08:01 AM
Joined Aug 2008
78 Posts
I put the 8 fresh alkaline batteries with the transmitter. Pretty disappointed with things.....

I have contacted the seller (HOR) and is awaiting for a reply. Fingers crossed though I am not that hopeful.....
jerome888 is offline Find More Posts by jerome888
Old Oct 03, 2011, 02:12 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,843 Posts
Did you check to see what the displayed voltage is? If the transmitter is seeing less than 9.6v, those batteries aren't fresh at all (even if they're fresh out of the package). If you have a voltmeter, check each cell to see it's voltage. They should be 1.5v if they're really fresh.
Old Oct 06, 2011, 03:50 PM
Arc, spark and smoke...
Joined Mar 2006
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
...I like the upgraded firmware better...

What is the "bad EXPO" the firmware corrects?

I mainly bought the radio because I wanted expo on my boat's steering channel. I'm thinking I'd also like it to spread out the throttle response near the top of the range, too. But as long as the steering channel expo is functional, I'll be happy.

I plan to order the new voltage regulator, but may buy the whole package if it seems worthwhile....

Take it easy,
desmobob
Old Oct 06, 2011, 08:37 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,843 Posts
Not sure, just passing along what I had read before getting mine.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 12:22 PM
Arc, spark and smoke...
Joined Mar 2006
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
What is the "bad EXPO" the firmware corrects?
Quote:
Not sure, just passing along what I had read before getting mine.

I found out... the expo only works in one direction and actually works in reverse in the other direction!

In other words, when I program negative expo into my steering channel to reduce the travel around neutral, it does just that when I turn right, but applies positive expo when I turn left (more travel around neutral).

I guess I'm going to have to spring for the hack stuff and update the firmware.

By the way, the GT3B Tx bound and operated fine with the GT2 Rx I have in my boat (pending range checks).

Take it easy,
desmobob
Old Oct 07, 2011, 12:40 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,843 Posts
The GT2 RX and GT3 RX are the exact same, the only difference you'll find is hobbyking stickers or flysky stickers depending on where you buy them from. They list the same RX for both TX's on hobbyking.com and hobbypartz.com, so you'll be good with it!

Question about your expo, did you put negative or positive expo in it? I found that you need positive expo to soften it around neutral, but maybe that's a change with the firmware.

If you're used to plane TX's, Futaba and JR/Spektrum are the opposite of each other. Positive on Futaba does what Negative does on JR/Spektrum and vice versa. REALLY fun when you program a 3D foamy with the wrong expo and take it for the first flight.

Now I check the expo setting by holding a bit of stick and increasing/decreasing the expo to see if I set it in the right direction.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 12:47 PM
Arc, spark and smoke...
Joined Mar 2006
615 Posts
Quote:
The GT2 RX and GT3 RX are the exact same, the only difference you'll find is hobbyking stickers or flysky stickers depending on where you buy them from. They list the same RX for both TX's on hobbyking.com and hobbypartz.com, so you'll be good with it!

Question about your expo, did you put negative or positive expo in it? I found that you need positive expo to soften it around neutral, but maybe that's a change with the firmware.

If you're used to plane TX's, Futaba and JR/Spektrum are the opposite of each other. Positive on Futaba does what Negative does on JR/Spektrum and vice versa. REALLY fun when you program a 3D foamy with the wrong expo and take it for the first flight.

Now I check the expo setting by holding a bit of stick and increasing/decreasing the expo to see if I set it in the right direction.
I have Spektrum and Futaba radios, so I was familiar with the possibility of the expo working opposite what I first tried. I checked my settings with a small amount of steering held in, and the expo is faulty as I stated. :-(

Taping a long cardboard "arm" on the servo output really shows the problem.

I'm off to play with my Mystic 29 and new GT3B (without using expo)!

Take it easy,
Bob
Old Oct 07, 2011, 02:04 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,843 Posts
Ahh, that blows!!

Luckily the firmware upgrade process isn't that hard.

I'd offer to let you use my programmer/cable, but you're a bit far
Old Oct 08, 2011, 11:45 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,615 Posts
So if I got this right if I give it negative expo on ch 1 (steering) it will give it inverse positive expo in one direction and the correct negative expo in the other? Does this also apply to forward and reverse?

And the firmware upgrade fixes this?

How easy is it and how fool proof?

How much does it cost?

Thanks alot!
kenstogie is offline Find More Posts by kenstogie
Old Oct 08, 2011, 04:22 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
So if I got this right if I give it negative expo on ch 1 (steering) it will give it inverse positive expo in one direction and the correct negative expo in the other? Does this also apply to forward and reverse?
Yes, that's correct. It applies to both channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
And the firmware upgrade fixes this?

How easy is it and how fool proof?

How much does it cost?

Thanks alot!
Firmware is free, but you need a programming board and some cables to be able to update the firmware.

You can find the programming board for cheaper, but you have to modify it from most places, as well as source the USB cable, 4 pin header cable, and 90* pins. This is by far the easiest way to get everything:

http://www.overkillrc.com/products.h...roduct=5053464

Here's the instructions, if you're not comfortable installing the kit yourself you can buy one pre-hacked, but it'll cost you quite a lot more.

http://www.overkillrc.com/GT3B/GT3B%...raft%202.1.pdf

Pre-hacked:
http://www.overkillrc.com/products.h...roduct=5583397

Just look at all the options, your best bet is to get it with the upgraded voltage regulator, and the full hack kit. That'll cost you quite a bit more though. Pre-hacked with everything is about $93 + shipping. You're better off trying to find someone local that might be able to help out installing/soldering everything if you aren't comfortable trying.

Once you have the header pins installed, it's REALLY easy to backup the original firmware, create a new file, and upload the new one. This site will take the original file and create a new one with the selected upgrades:

http://cs.mff.cuni.cz/~semerad/GT3B/
Old Oct 10, 2011, 09:31 AM
Arc, spark and smoke...
Joined Mar 2006
615 Posts
Quote:
Ahh, that blows!!

Luckily the firmware upgrade process isn't that hard.

I'd offer to let you use my programmer/cable, but you're a bit far

Thanks... I'm going to go ahead and order up the complete kit from Overkill and get the radio up to date. I only ordered the darn thing because it was the cheapest radio I found with exponential, and then I find it doesn't work! I guess I didn't do enough research before I made the purchase.

One of my buddies had to run his ProBoat Mystic 29 with an airplane-style radio this weekend because his brand new Spektrum DX3C (or was it a 3S... not sure.) would not work, out of the box. That made me feel a little better about my GT3B's expo feature not working.

Thanks for all the help,
desmobob