HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2001, 11:36 PM
Mike Swan
Oroville, California, United States
Joined Oct 2000
372 Posts
Hang up phone calls GRRRRR!

Been getting hang up calls 3 or 4 a day,have call back and all other do dads but cant get this persons number,havent had the patience to hold out for the right person at the phone company to talk to,too many hoops and departments.is there a device availible that can register a persons number even if they dont want you to see it?Thanks Mike
kit basher is offline Find More Posts by kit basher
Old Oct 12, 2001, 09:30 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Here in GA we have something called Privacy Director. Costs a penny a month when you have all the other services like call waiting, etc. When a call comes in, if the Caller ID is not available (and that includes out of area, private name, etc.), it intercepts the call, and says "This party does not accept calls from unknown persons. At the tone, say your name, or the company you represent, then press 1". They speak, and then it connects the call, but we see "Privacy Director" on the Caller ID (I have it so it comes up on the TV's in the house when they're on). If you pick up, it says who's calling, and you can press 1 to connect, 2 to reject, or 3 to send to voicemail like you're not here.

Haven't had a single solicitation call since enabling that system! We were getting a half-dozen a week or so before, usually the hang-up type as you describe. Folks who need to reach us (like some legitimate business calls from out of area) just leave their name and we connect them.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Oct 12, 2001, 12:04 PM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
Those hang ups are due to the maching they use for mass marketing calls.

It dials multiple numbers all at once, and then connects to the first one to pick up.

If two people pick up at the same time, it chooses one and hangs up on the other.

You can easily tell this system is being used as when you pick up, there will be a short quiet delay, then a person comes on.

I've gotton so many of these that I simply hang up when I detect the delay.
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee
Old Oct 12, 2001, 02:22 PM
Mike Swan
Joined Oct 2000
372 Posts
I Should Have Said it was people calling i pick up phone or wife does and there is either laughing,babbling,or some @#$%! in spanish,which i do understand.
Last edited by kit basher; Oct 13, 2001 at 02:46 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2001, 09:22 PM
Lebanon, Ohio
Joined Sep 2001
96 Posts
if it makes you that mad, i guess i will stop. just kidding
woodchuck is offline Find More Posts by woodchuck
Old Oct 13, 2001, 02:49 AM
Mike Swan
Joined Oct 2000
372 Posts
Thanks for the laugh.but this has been going on for a really long time and its highly annoying.
Old Oct 13, 2001, 09:35 PM
Master of disaster
Northern Virginia
Joined May 2000
707 Posts
My cordless phone has caller ID (once you pay for it).
Any call I get I pick up the hand unit. If it reads "unknown caller"
I let the machine answer. Otherwise, I know who is calling.
Travis is offline Find More Posts by Travis
Old Oct 15, 2001, 08:57 AM
Palm City, FL
Joined Dec 2000
628 Posts
Your "hangup calls" could also be a kid in your area has gotten hold of an old, old program called a "war dialer" (named from the movie "War Games"). It'll call throughout an entire telephone exchange looking for modems and hanging up on anything else to go onto the next number.

I ALWAYS keep an answering machine on my line to screen phone calls--- and all my friends know that if they want to get hold of me to leave a message because I will never, ever answer a phone cold.
TimOBrien is offline Find More Posts by TimOBrien
Old Oct 15, 2001, 09:07 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,623 Posts
Does this war dialler program speak Spanish then?

Leccy
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Oct 15, 2001, 01:55 PM
zax
Dallas, Texas, USA
Joined Sep 2001
35 Posts
kit basher,

Peace, at a price ($60) !

I've been there... exactly the same as you describe.

The "fix" I used was to purchase a device which intercepts the calls before your phone actually rings and continues to give the caller a ring tone, after a preset number of rings it will go through to your answer machine or hang up. If the caller enters a password during that time the unit will then ring the phone, you can have 2 different codes causing 2 ring types.

It works really well and you will NEVER hear the phone ring again, unless it's someone you provide the code to.

Zax.
zax is offline Find More Posts by zax
Old Oct 19, 2001, 01:51 AM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,287 Posts
Saw an ad on TV from Radio Shack for a device that recognizes computer dialed calls. It answers the call which automatically erases your number from their data base. If it works as advertised it would be well worth the $49.99 price tag.
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Oct 20, 2001, 02:02 PM
Mike Swan
Joined Oct 2000
372 Posts
a friend of mine gave me some info on a device that will register peoples number regardless of what they have for blocking its about the same price,ill check into the radio shack though,thanks.
Old Oct 20, 2001, 08:30 PM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
Not sure how that would work. The A number is always a modem squirt before it rings. The LEC switch determines whether or not it passes the A number. In other words, the switch simply doesn't pass it down the line to your caller id box, so unless you either hack into the SS7 network and grab the dips or into the LEC switch you won't be able to get the caller id info. It simply isn't there.
mtayl is offline Find More Posts by mtayl
Last edited by mtayl; Oct 20, 2001 at 08:33 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2001, 09:18 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,714 Posts
say what?
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
Old Oct 20, 2001, 10:58 PM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
sorry, that probably didn't make sense unless you program telephone switches. I was referring to the fact that the calling number (called the A number) is not transmitted to your phone unless the phone company decides to do that. So I'm puzzled about the box, that kit basher was referring to, that can somehow come up with information that was never transmitted.

Kit basher, could you forward some more info about it? I'd be curious to read more about it.
mtayl is offline Find More Posts by mtayl