HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2011, 06:55 PM
Craig B
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Mar 2009
366 Posts
no Joe, your vulture will be hangar queen!!! more like hangar Biaatch!
browncbr1 is offline Find More Posts by browncbr1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Supercool V mount
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2011, 09:24 PM
colorado
Joined Apr 2009
97 Posts
well all I can say is I have over 40 flights on it... and Tony has flown my ship...HINT HINT!
laryctdummy is offline Find More Posts by laryctdummy
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:14 PM
Joined Jan 2007
651 Posts
Balancing it out. Used Futaba Fasst 7 channel RX for initial setup of control surfaces, but will use 6014FS rx when done.
5oz makes it nose heavy at 90mm from front edge.
Going to make tape marker with 80-110mm markings, in 5mm steps.
I will put 3.0oz slug (steel balls and glue) in forward nose and fine tune it with smaller weights added.
Will start at 4.5oz and see how the hand throw goes.
Now I am thinking of using bigger battery and using less balancing weight, I hear a bigger battery going in.

Used triangle stock on top of balsa blocks with the triangle edge at the starting CG point of 90mm, see below pictures.

Also shown is the servos moved side by side and the back servo slot now holding the battery switch with ON being back.
kilwein is offline Find More Posts by kilwein
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:29 PM
Team Horizon
United States, CA, Montague
Joined Jan 2004
211 Posts
Tow hook setting

I did my first launch with what seemed like a normal amount of launch camber and the tow hook in the middle of the slot like yours. The launch was VERY shallow. I then moved it all the way back and it was better but still too shallow. I then doubled the amount of launch camber (about 1/3 to 1/2 available flap travel) and I finally got a nice steep launch that needed a little bump of down about 50 feet up the line. Perfect!

I'm not saying you should start with the hook all the way back, just be prepared for a very shallow launch if it is not. Are any Vulture owners setting the hook anywhere else?

Rick
rshelby is offline Find More Posts by rshelby
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:34 PM
Joined Jan 2007
651 Posts
Hi Rick,

It is half way back right now, will be moving it back 3/4 tonight.

Thanks for the info,
Tony
Old Feb 11, 2011, 01:44 AM
Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Joined Jan 2008
60 Posts
Hi Tony,
90 mm is a good first start. Last fly at 96 millimeters. With rear balance speed drops and can tend to collapse. Be careful if you try more than 96-98 mm. Towing hook 5-6 mm before the CG in the first race, then try back. Vulture flies with relatively small deflections of ailerons.

You can use the settings Cody Remington.

CG- 87mm from leading edge of wing

Aileron Measured at tip
Up 10mm
Down 4 mm
Launch 4 mm
Reflex equal with flaps
Landing aileron throw 10mm up and down
Camber equal with flaps

Flaps measured at root of flap
Mix flap to ailerons up 10mm down 2 mm
Launch 14mm
Camber 4mm
Reflex 3mm

Elevator measured at tip
Up 7mm
Down 7mm
El down throw in landing mode as much as possible

Rudder measured at tip
Up 8mm
Down 5 mm
Rudder mixed with ailerons up 3 mm and down 2 mm

We expect reviewers. Happy landing.

Regards,
Nikolay
NikolayPeichev is offline Find More Posts by NikolayPeichev
Last edited by NikolayPeichev; Feb 11, 2011 at 03:10 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 09:32 AM
Joined Jan 2007
651 Posts
Hi Nikolay,

Thanks for the pointers and starting points. Will go with them for first flights and adjust as needed.

Unless something changes, this plane will be at SWC on display at Skip Miller Models booth. Maiden flight is held off until it is back from SWC.
Anticipation is building.

For those attending SWC, they are more than welcome to post their comments in this thread.

There are some glider pilots here at Boulder res. that will get some stick time and hopefully they post their comments on it here. Will try for video on first few flights.

Did not mold steel shot in last night as I am putting a large battery in and will adjust shot for it.
Tonight should wrap up the build and it will be ready.

Thanks,
Tony
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:11 AM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jan 2006
270 Posts
Vulture maiden

Don't worry Tony,

We will maiden it for you in Phoenix at the upcoming South West Classic AND then we will GIVE it away in the top 5 raffle donors in a 5 person flyoff with all the proceeds going to the CASL club..pretty cool!...of course this is after it is "Codified".....just kidding...don't worry ..we will take care of your Vulture.

By the way OUTSTANDING build thread on the VULTURE! I think all can share in appreciation for the amazing and complete job regarding the construction and process.

Your VULTURE is beautiful, I know you will love how it soars...again incredible build thread....and the most amazing part is that this was the first time you have built a competition molded model start to finish......CONGRATULATIONS!

Skip

P.S. and YES SkipMillerModels IS IN FACT giving away a NIB VULTURE to the winner of a 5 person flyoff. CASL will be tracking the sales of raffle tickets I believe through Saturday afternoon, and the top 5 contributors will flyoff for the VULTURE!(no stand in pilots please, details to be announced at Saturday pilots meeting) All proceeds of this excitement going in support of the CASL club.
maxer is offline Find More Posts by maxer
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:25 AM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2003
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxer View Post
P.S. and YES SkipMillerModels IS IN FACT giving away a NIB VULTURE to the winner of a 5 person flyoff. CASL will be tracking the sales of raffle tickets I believe through Saturday afternoon, and the top 5 contributors will flyoff for the VULTURE!(no stand in pilots please, details to be announced at Saturday pilots meeting) All proceeds of this excitement going in support of the CASL club.
Very interesting idea. Not sure how you dreamed this one up, but it sounds like a fun twist.

Bob
Bob McGowan is offline Find More Posts by Bob McGowan
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:44 PM
Denver
Joined Mar 2006
197 Posts
[QUOTE=maxer;17377005]of course this is after it is "Codified".....just kidding...don't worry ..we will take care of your Vulture.

Skip

Don't worry Tony, I wont let your new Vulture get Codified. I know from experience.
Bobalew is offline Find More Posts by Bobalew
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:19 PM
Joined Jan 2007
651 Posts
Bob, I am going to count on you to watch it for me. It is getting packed sunday for the trip.

Most people I see roll up one layer on the winch and then release AND THEN there's Cody who rolls up one and a half layers and then releases. He has one heck of an arm for holding back on the launch.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 04:42 PM
Joined Jan 2007
651 Posts
This will be the last of the photos until the Vulture gets back from SWC.
Getting packed tomorrow for the trip.

Starting balance point at 90mm, slight down, steel shot full forward then battery followed with the RX. It is ready for the hand throw flight test. In the mean time I will start setting the flight modes and leave the fine tuning when it gets back.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:43 PM
Joined Jan 2007
651 Posts
The Vulture got a break, the next shipment came in before the show so it is going to get a ballast setup before the weekend.

This is the start of the ballast ring inside the fuse, 2 grams as is but will cut another 3/4 of a gram off by rounding corners and making thinner. This is going to be part of the tow hook assy. The ring will be positioned slightly behind the CG point so the weight will be held ~midpoint and at the front end at the servo tray mount. The ballast will be a 3/4in rod with a fine adjustment slug for CG adjustments. Will make two, 8 and 16 oz to start with.

EDIT: in the previous post you can see the hold down point in the back of the servo tray.
Last edited by kilwein; Feb 16, 2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:46 PM
Professional Lurker
United States, MD, La Plata
Joined Nov 2004
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilwein View Post
The Vulture got a break, the next shipment came in before the show....
Thanks for the news, hopefully mine is in this shipment!

Chris
Magician is offline Find More Posts by Magician
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:18 PM
Joined Jan 2007
651 Posts
This is a proto 8oz ballast, adjustable, the rod is held snug with friction O-ring to resist turning. Can locktite also if you desire to. Have for and aft CG adjustment of +/-8mm on this one. Have center cavity for filling completely up with lead-steel shot.

The final ones will be a 3/4in rod bored out with a threaded-cap plug on the filling end, have +/-20mm adjustment and have NF threads. Made the one below to size cavity and length of parts needed. This one is adjusted to balance plane at 90mm CG, can be changed easy, just a turn away.

This one is very easy to get in and out of the fuse, will see how a longer 16oz one is to install.
Also only one bolt to install, remove or switch sizes.
Looking at delron ring liner material so no metal to metal contacts on final ones.

EDIT: Machined two flat spots on the rod end for the servo tray and bolt shoulder to rest on.
I should have made this before I put the tow hook in. Would have been so much easier.
Last edited by kilwein; Feb 18, 2011 at 04:01 PM.